WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello watch family... I'm looking for a watch for my dad.

A little over a year or so ago, I bought my mom and dad each a Citizen EcoDrive watch. They absolutely love them. I think my mom more so. I got her some rose-gold watch with ecodrive... my wife helped me pick it out. My dad liked his watch a lot too, but in his older age, he has a hard time seeing the numbers... so every time I visit, I see him going back to his old Citizen watch which is beat up and looks ridiculous.

Just a little bit about my dad... he came from the Netherlands, worked hard his whole life. He's very active, golfs like 4-5 times a week. Always buying and selling stocks. My parents travel constantly. Even though they love their home in The Villages, FL... they spend most of their time on river cruises or flying all over the world. My dad doesn't like to waste money. So... to put it plainly, even though he could buy an entire Home Depot in cash, he chooses instead to wait 3 months for a wheel barrow to go on sale. Very fiscally conservative... still drives around in his 2009 Ford Explorer Sport, which he parks in his 6,000+ sq-foot luxury home.

I'm thinking of getting him another Citizen, but I'm open to a lot of different options. He likes quality, but would be very upset if I got him an Omega or a Rolex... if that makes sense.

He actually gave me his old Omega Seamaster, which he wore from 1963 until it broke in ~2003 (automatic portion stopped working). The man would literally wear it every day from the board room at the office to digging a ditch in his back yard or laying bricks for a patio. It had all kinds of paint and scratches on it when I got it. I'm rambling, but I wanted to put a personality behind it.

Here is what are some key things I'm looking for, for him:

1 - Watch must be rugged, and can handle shock, but not huge and bulky.
2 - Must look classy, and go with a suit, or shorts and a polo shirt.
3 - Must be name brand / quality, but not frivolous (no Rolex or Omega, etc...)
4 - Must be relatively easy to see the numbers / hour indicator.
5 - Must not be overly complicated, but should have day / date feature.
6 - Around ~$350-400
7 - BONUS, if there's an easy way to set international time or a feature that automatically adjusts to radio or GPS NTP... that would be awesome!

Thanks guys, I appreciate any suggestions you might have off the cuff... thank you!

·
Registered
36,322 Posts

OCW-S100 is 40mm hardened titanium, sapphire crystal, solar charged, atomic time & date updated automatically, perpetual calendar, 30 time zones, quickset hour hand for time changes, solid end links, drilled lugs, Made in Japan. Case made by the same vendor who makes Grand Seiko and Credor cases for Seiko.

OCW-S100-1AJF.OCW-S100-7A2JF

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
A couple of good suggestions already. What about a Hamilton Khaki King?

You seem to be inclined toward quartz, but you didn't specify.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Why not fix up his old Omega with a good service and give it back to him...?
This.

Full service including repolish and brushing the case to near brand new appearance. It’ll run your full price point (more if done by Omega themselves) but I doubt he’ll be upset and instead appreciate the sentimental gesture. I’m sure there are a ton of memories this watch will bring back once restored to its former glory.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,884 Posts
All the usual suspects been named. Casio, Citizen... there is radio controlled solar Seiko too.
They are really nice and shoot and forget watches.
You need to look for good deals but that's it.
350-400$ is really tight but you still can find something.
What i suggest is to look at watch from 3-4 meters away. If you can still tell time it's a winner!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Fixing the omega is a nice idea. If you still want to get him a new watch I'd go citizen again. A lot of the are hard to read but there are tons of easy to read dials to pick from. Some with atomic time. Maybe add titanium made or monocoque case.

For example PDM56 is a bit above your budget but doesn't look like it and hits all the spots. A few other options are the Ray Mears or Royal Marines.variants. Check out the bn0118.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts