WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think about it. Gagarin was the first man in the space and he was celebrated on a lot of watches.

But nobody made a watch dedicated to Valentina Tereshkova. Don't you think we could give a small a little tribute to her, with a dedicated watch?

I was thinking to a very small number of watches at cost price (not more than 50), and with a dedicated dial. Some hints? The best would be a Chaika watch, unfortunately they are out of production now :-(

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Think about it. Gagarin was the first man in the space and he was celebrated on a lot of watches.

But nobody made a watch dedicated to Valentina Tereshkova. Don't you think we could give a small a little tribute to her, with a dedicated watch?

I was thinking to a very small number of watches at cost price (not more than 50), and with a dedicated dial. Some hints? The best would be a Chaika watch, unfortunately they are out of production now :-(
Michele, that's a wonderful idea! :-!
I don't know how to realize it. I think that only Vostok at present is producing little batches of watches.

I'd like a watch with a seagull on the dial.
Moreover, I think that the title you put on this thread is what we want to do, so I'd like a watch with the writing: "для Валентины".

·
Registered
665 Posts
Great idea, Michele ! |>

The best would be a Chaika watch, unfortunately they are out of production now :-(
And it's a shame... :-(

BTW, I no longer remember where, but somewhere I read that this vostok dial represent's Valentina ...

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Great idea, Michele ! |>

And it's a shame... :-(

BTW, I no longer remember where, but somewhere I read that this vostok dial represent's Valentina ...
Yes, i have heard that too, and indeed that profile has slightly female features.

This is the only profile picture that i found:

%5BValentina-Tereshkova,-head-and-shoulders-portrait,-left-profile,...-painting-artwork-print.jpg

here for comparison:

:think:

Anyway, nothing was expressively made to celebrate Valentina. I think this is quite unfair, and quite strange too.

I was thinking to the only NOS Chaika men's watches available on Ebay (they are wearable by womens too), they are like this. I don't dislike their simplicity, what if we make print some logo/inscriptions? There is enough room on the outer circle and on the center. Just to have a Chaika watch, of course, otherwise we could make a Vostok, but i'm a bit bored with the Amphibia :roll:

!Bd1Qe0gBWk~$%28KGrHqUOKkEEq5NPGfPsBK6qqt3YWQ~~_12.JPG

Last but not least, low (very low!) number of watches, just a "family thing" (= Watchuseek) at low cost.
Too much hassle to make so many RR three years ago, and a lot of people who did not deserve that watch bought it for 60 Euro and resold it at 200 Euro o|

·
Registered
665 Posts
I like it. Indeed, being a "Chaika" watch is very good...

A very simple attemp:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it. Indeed, being a "Chaika" watch is very good...

A very simple attemp:
I was thinking to:

-a stylized globus on the center (Sputnik-style) with 1961-2001 on the right, with holes to save th original inscriptions "Chaika" and "Made in URSS"

-an orbit with stylized orbit and rocket rocket (always Sputnik-style)

All made with thin red lines.

And a laser inscription on the caseback "Valentina Tereshkova 1961-2001". Or maybe it's too much for that watch?

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very quick and rough MS Paint sketch before going to work :roll: of course the inscription is a BIT too big :-x:roll:

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Something like this ?

Someone else with more opinions or more sketches ? :-s

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Looks very nice, I agree that she should be honored, and I'd certainly be interested :-!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Based on a Nuno's pic, here is another project by me, based on a Vostok and on this image of Valentina. I have choosen a red dial to follow the color of the spacesuit, and also to give a bit more color to the watch, in homage to the woman.

ver2_valentinaBig_91064a.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Looks great, I wish I could work with photoshop but I'm a disaster when it comes to computers :roll:

·
Registered
12,588 Posts
Based on a Nuno's pic, here is another project by me, based on a Vostok and on this image of Valentina. I have choosen a red dial to follow the color of the spacesuit, and also to give a bit more color to the watch, in homage to the woman.

View attachment 456679
Very good example, may be worth forwarding to Meranom/Dima/Jonny to see if a small run is possible.
They need money on their books, and 'specials' could be a little earner

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have slightly modified the Valentina's image. Here is the result, very similar to the generic "cosmonaut" model, but with a specific dedication.

The idea is very simple, now we lacks only a professional designer and a reliable (and cheap) supplier.

(BTW, unfortunately the Chaika watch seems not good for this task, it should be "redone" entirely, NOS movements should be serviced, and the seller seems not very happy about the project).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have slightly modified the Valentina's image. Here is the result, very similar to the generic "cosmonaut" model, but with a specific dedication.

The idea is very simple, now we lacks only a professional designer and a reliable (and cheap) supplier.

(BTW, unfortunately the Chaika watch seems not good for this task, it should be "redone" entirely, NOS movements should be serviced, and the seller seems not very happy about the project).
I like very much this project!
I have only one exception, about writing "Valentina Tereshkova 1961-2011". I don't like it, it looks to me something like a headstone with birth and death dates :-(

We surely can drop dates, at least the last ;-)

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like very much this project!
I have only one exception, about writing "Valentina Tereshkova 1961-2011". I don't like it, it looks to me something like a headstone with birth and death dates :-(

We surely can drop dates, at least the last ;-)
No need to drop the dates, just some adds ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
The graphic design development is coming along nicely :-!.

You've probably already tried this but... have you tried putting the portrait image at 6 or 12? Then doing three lines of text at 12 or 6?

Date - Date
Name
50 Years​

Some case back engraving or even a custom bezel would be nice for further context, plus it would free up some space on the dial, but that would likely be prohibitively expensive...

A very exciting and appropriate project! Thanks for taking the initiative |>.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You've probably already tried this but... have you tried putting the portrait image at 6 or 12? Then doing three lines of text at 12 or 6?

Date - Date
Name
50 Years​

Some case back engraving or even a custom bezel would be nice for further context, plus it would free up some space on the dial, but that would likely be prohibitively expensive...

A very exciting and appropriate project! Thanks for taking the initiative |>.

I have choosen the 9 'o clock position for several reason - to keep the layout of the original "cosmonaut" model, and because too many "Ukrainian homages" have gigantic pictures at 12 ' o clock.

Custom bezel - the buyers can install it later if they want it. All in all, the red dial matches very well with the usual "red dots" bezel.

IMHO this design would be already perfect (as said, i want a reissue of the "cosmonaut" model), but now everything should be converted in a precise vectorial drawing.

1 - 20 of 282 Posts