WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were you ever thinking of buying a watch but decided not to because it was a very popular model? If you're going to spend a lot of money on a watch, would you prefer something unique that most people haven't seen, or would it not bother you that you might run into someone else wearing the same watch (e.g. a co-worker)?

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Were you ever thinking of buying a watch but decided not to because it was a very popular model? If you're going to spend a lot of money on a watch, would you prefer something unique that most people haven't seen, or would it not bother you that you might run into someone else wearing the same watch (e.g. a co-worker)?
Doesn't bother me at all! Honestly!

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
There are an awful lot of different watches out there, even from the mainstream manufacturers. Just Rolex alone offers about eleventy thousand different model variations. I'd actually find it very odd if someone had the same watch as me -- it would be like them wearing the same shirt or something.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The closest I've ever seen to something like one of mine was a Lady Reverso. An old lady was wearing it. The only expensive watches I commonly see are Rolex and Panerai.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Sometimes I don't wear my SubC because of where I will be/who I will be with that day. Just one of those things. I'm self-concious in the opposite way - I don't want to attract certain attention. Honestly, my Explorer II gets so much wrist time because I never feel showy with it on and I never worry about others recognising it as an expensive watch.

My conscience won't allow me to wear an overtly showy or expensive watch. How messed up is that? WIS have all the problems, I tell you... :roll:

Reactions: Simon

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've just picked up a JLC. Started with a basket of four brands when I started the hunt for my first luxury dress watch. Dropped IWC and Omega as they are common/popular brands. It was down to a fight between Zenith and JLC. And after lurking in WUS for weeks, I decided on the JLC MC.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
I've seen so few interesting watches in the wild (including inexpensive pieces like Seiko 5s) that I've certainly never seen the same model twice in memory's length so no. Though my general preference of a sub over a PO may be to do with the latter's ubiquity in my city's malls and vice-versa for Rolex (there's only 1 AD in town). Though I can't confirm.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I don't mind wearing the same watch as my co-worker or anybody.
But I will never wear the same watch as my boss.
Nowadays, he wears the corum golden bridge or the patek philippe gondolo.

I think I need a raise.

·
Registered
483 Posts
sat in a meeting of 12 people where three of us were wearing old model Rolex GMT II coke versions. Only difference was the amount of bezel fade.

Other than that occasion, I don't think I have ever seen two people wearing the same watch.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i've only seen several seikos and citizens worn in the wild..the most popular here are..fossil, nautica, gshocks..midrange is tissot and upper is ofcourse rolex..

never seen anybody wear the same watch i have..except some wis friends..don't really mind that much though..

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
By the ball, just don't wear it to work if you don't get on with your boss. If you do get on wear it to work and compliment each other on the good choice you both made

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I don't mind wearing the same watch as my co-worker or anybody.
But I will never wear the same watch as my boss.

I think I need a raise.
My boss wears a $ 600 Hugo Boss watch.
I wear a $ 3600 Link, a $ 3300 Aquaracer and a $ 4300 Planet Ocean.
A co-worker of mine wears a $ 8500 Submariner and a $ 6500 Ploprof.
I think my boss needs a raise.

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
If it's too popular - I don't want it

Having said that , if I saw someone else wearing the same watch - I'd be 'Whooaaahhh, I've got that same watch!!' - I'd just have to spark a conversation up about it

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
If I really liked a watch and wanted it, then I'd buy it, regardless of popularity.

The reality for me is I don't see any one particular model a lot, despite the fact that some forum members seem to see particular models everywhere.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts