WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I have been contemplating on a watch with the Power Reserve Indicator complication and came accross a model by SE with a Lemania 8876 movement.I narrowly missed out on winning one on the bay.How sophisticated is the Lemania 8876?I'm asking because I have'nt seen much information on this movement here as well as the web.To top it, here seems to be a lack of information on this watch brand which seems to be better known in Germany/Austria. Searching online I could come across a similar model, albeit in white on a couple of other forums.

Could anyone here tell me more about the movement?Is the double power reserve indicator complication solely found on higher end watches?What is it about this movement that warrants exclusivity which sellers generally tout as a selling point?

The one I missed out on the bay is pictured below.Not sure if it will prove a dear miss, especially since the markers on the black dial almost seem to be crudely filled with lume as an afterthought.Is this a dial defect or is meant to be like this.The numbers almost seem "lumpy", for lack of a better word.Has the dial been re-lumed?:think:

Coming to my main query, is the Lemania 8876 used in any other watches of repute?Something that is still in production within $1500 used?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Do not understand the need for two reserve indicators?
Would like some info on this watch/movement as well.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Do not understand the need for two reserve indicators?
Would like some info on this watch/movement as well.
This makes no sense. Honestly, two reserve indicators for the same power source? Duh. That's like having two date windows that only show the same date? WTF. This is a stupid watch, sorry.

Reactions: WATCH-er

·
Registered
256 Posts
I cant give any info on the brand or the movement but 2 power reserve indicators on a singular movement brings the word redundant to a whole new level.

And how about a strap that actually fits the lug width?

Reactions: WATCH-er

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I cant give any info on the brand or the movement but 2 power reserve indicators on a singular movement brings the word redundant to a whole new level.
Arnold and Son make a model called "Time Pyramid" which has the same complication along with some other complications.:-d

As per my understanding, it has something to do with two separate barrels for power, each indicator dedicated to one barrell.

Jokes apart, I was more interested in knowing the quality of the movement that lies beneath, as the Lemania movement is now exclusive to Breguet.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I would think the movement has twin barrels/mainsprings.

Lumpy lume? No, looks great. Just a good amount applied. I like that it adds depth to the dial. Better than just a painted flat look.

Bob

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lumpy lume? No, looks great. Just a good amount applied. I like that it adds depth to the dial. Better than just a painted flat look.

Bob

So this is capable of being factory finish?Asking because this was one of the factors weighing in my mind while putting a cap on the price I wanted to pay.I felt it was'nt factory finish

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
If Breguet is actually involved in this movement, I don't need to hear anything else. If you can afford it and like the style, buy it.

I do have a crappy I phone 4, but that lume looks very nicely applied. Good depth and curvature. It does not appear flat, but sculpted. I would imagine this to be difficult and time consuming. However, crappy phone,and I have never applied lume.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
By the looks of things, and these seem substantially corroborated SE, manufactures its own movements as well as using ETA ebauches. They have even developed a Tourbillon which was made in an extremely limited quantity and sold in said number of watches.
Regarding the watch in question, it looks interesting enough, and it reminds me of a Dubey & schaldenbrand or even a Franck Muller; however I don't know enough about it to try to persuade you one way or the other. If you like it enough, and think this is a keeper I would say go for it. If you are not sure and think you'll flip it down the line, I think you will take a big hit.

The Swiss watch planet in movement – Part 9 | Europa Star Magazine

Schwarz Etienne Watches

watch around: l'horlogerie suisse authentique: The race for in-house calibres

Cheers

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If Breguet is actually involved in this movement, I don't need to hear anything else. If you can afford it and like the style, but it.

I do have a crappy I phone 4, but that lume looks very nicely applied. Good depth and curvature. It does not appear flat, but sculpted. I would imagine this to be difficult and time consuming. However, crappy phone,and I have never applied lume.
An example of nice lume .....

View attachment 2699514

The thicker, the better the glow .....

View attachment 2699522

Bob
Well then, I stand corrected.

The movement inside is the main attraction.Being from Lemania, I have'nt come accross any other watch sporting this movement.I believe, within a budget of $1500 there are choices for power reserve indicator complications, just want to make an informed decision regards the quality of movement.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Better readable in white methinks

View attachment 2699794
Is it?

But then the white one you've posted is missing the lume discussed above.Maybe white examples didn't come with lume (probably a drawback).

Also, the strap isn't what the SE originally came with if I'm not mistaken.Below is the original strap on a white example with the material seen on the black watch as well.

Attachments

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,094 Posts
Is it?
Then again, the white doesn't seem to have the kind of lume the black one has.

Why this discrepency?

Also, the strap on the white one, isn't what the SE originally came with if I'm not mistaken.
The kind of lume used in both watches looks about the same...an off white cast with a greenish tinge. Both have lumed hands. The numerals on the silver dialed version are painted black with tiny lume markers at the quarters while the numerals on the black dialed version appear to be done with lume paint. With the stylish black numerals that are completely flat I find the silver dial version a little more refined looking and more attractive.

That first watch must be used. I can't imagine a watchmaker selling a watch with a strap that looks like it was installed at WalMart.

The power reserve is a visually interesting feature that can actually be of some practical use. However the fractional "fuel gauge" display is not as informative as one showing the hours remaining.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't imagine a watchmaker selling a watch with a strap that looks like it was installed at WalMart.

The power reserve is a visually interesting feature that can actually be of some practical use. However the fractional "fuel gauge" display is not as informative as one showing the hours remaining.
Yes the first example is used.However as far as the strap is concerned the texture is common with the white example I posted(only differing in colour), leading me to believe it must have been a standard fitment on this model.

The "fuel gauge" display as you aptly put it is indeed low on functionality.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,094 Posts
Yes the first example is used.However as far as the strap is concerned the texture is common with the white example I posted(only differing in colour), leading me to believe it must have been a standard fitment on this model.

The "fuel gauge" display as you aptly put it is indeed low on functionality.
My concern was with the strap being way too small. Not the texture.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My concern was with the strap being way too small. Not the texture.
Well,good miss for me then, with so many drawbacks.

It was the movement that interested me, however, with so little info on it I would'nt have taken an expensive(read exceeding 1k) punt on this.;-)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts