I+know+more.jpg

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Come on, be nice.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I had a sales guy this weekend tell me that the Bulova Precisionist was "the world's most accurate quartz", which I then corrected him "with a sweeping seconds hand", and didn't even go into the crystal aging issues its had and how very few of them actually live up to the 10 spy over time even when worn daily. Then he said most automatics beat at 5 beats per second and this Bulova is beating at 10 per second. I started to correct him (the Bulova is 16 times per second and a LOT of autos beat higher than 5 per second) but thought "Eff it, whats the use in educating this guy?". As I was leaving I said "You ever heard of Grand Seiko? (No of course he hadn't) They make a limited edition quartz that's rated at +/-5 seconds per year. They select only the best pre-aged quartz crystals and it goes for somewhere around 2 grand I think. Quartz sure has come a long way hasn't it?" He basically did the equivalent of a facial shrug and that was it. I just walked out. Hopefully he did some google-ing later on, but I doubt it...I'm finding it harder and harder to keep my mouth shut in AD's these days...ugh...I DID try though.

Edit: The GS model I was refering to is the SBGX103 and it retails for 3450.00 from an AD. So, I guess I was wrong on the price. Doh!! Had to publicly humiliate myself for this error before someone else did it for me. I don't know how much of a discount you could get, but it wouldn't be 2k, so yeah...

·
Registered
429 Posts
A good friend of mine and fellow WUS'er recently told me of a time that he went into a Tourneau location in Manhattan wearing something that was less 'acceptable' than their usual stock (It may have been a Mido Multifort, but I stand to be corrected). Well, they apparently really gave him the nose-up treatment because of his watch. It didn't really leave anyone bent out of shape, as this is what I think we all expect from these types of shops.

I wish I could go in with my Seiko 5 in the hopes that they are rude, just so I can put on an ALS Dato and see how the mood changes.

The plan is flawless!

Now all I have to do is get me a Datograph...

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
A good friend of mine and fellow WUS'er recently told me of a time that he went into a Tourneau location in Manhattan wearing something that was less 'acceptable' than their usual stock (It may have been a Mido Multifort, but I stand to be corrected). Well, they apparently really gave him the nose-up treatment because of his watch. It didn't really leave anyone bent out of shape, as this is what I think we all expect from these types of shops.

I wish I could go in with my Seiko 5 in the hopes that they are rude, just so I can put on an ALS Dato and see how the mood changes.

The plan is flawless!

Now all I have to do is get me a Datograph...
And a hidden camera to wear so you can capture the mood swings and change of heart that will no doubt be oh-so-obvious!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Give some credit...Admittedly we do encounter sales people who are new or not as knowledgable as many here. I bet the tenured sales people or managers at those stores know more about watches then most of the people on this watch forum. I'm in sales but don't obsess about my products when not working even though I know a great deal about the market.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
That's why I prefer dealing with GM dealer..less snobbery and the sales seemed to be more relaxed..I went to the GM dealer in HK that sells Pam,AP,Hublot,RM,MB&F and the likes wearing my emperor tuna...after asking several questions,the salesperson ask me about my Seiko,he had seen it online,but never in person...he even asked me about GS (which I don't even have..)

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
You know I've had some very pleasant experiences at Torneau, particularly the one in Las Vegas. They were VERY accommodating in letting me try things on, and engaging me in conversation even after I told them they had a snowball's chance in hell of selling me a watch. I think it's silly of us as WIS to expect a Sales rep at a store a WIS would almost NEVER buy from to cater their knowledge level to OUR needs. Their target audience are regular people looking at nice watches... and for that audience the better reps know more than enough.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
This post appear to put us in light with only our middle initial shining. Let's work on things to get our last initial shining. :)

My experience at Tourneau is some what different.

The guy was attentive, he showed me watches I wanted to see, he wasn't pushy, I was just there to pick up a watch just serviced. I wasn't going to qualify him by asking him bunch of trivia questions. His job was to cater to my needs, not to my whim. And I believe he fulfilled that role.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is this a slight at people working hard, for little money, to provide a service? Or self-appointed "WIS" experts?
Honestly, it wasn't really aimed at Tourneau in particular but as a stand-in for the majority of major watch boutiques, who employ people who don't really have a love for the product or even understand what it represents for their more dedicated clients. It's also a shot at people like us (me?) who take ourselves a little too seriously in that situation. Ron Swanson is a parody, remember (albeit an awesomely hilarious one)!

Lest anyone think I am anti-labor in any sense...

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
RE: the bulova story, it sounds like you're just picking on the guy... Btw the GS is actually +/-10 secs a year and there are four current models that use the 9F movement.

I think we all agree we know more than most sales personnel but to just go in looking for something to call them out on is a bit wrong. Maybe if I was plastered and didn't care I would but at the end of the day they're just trying to feed their family. Personally if that was my job I would learn everything possible but again it's just some guy/girl trying to make ends meet. I've said it before and I'll say it again, most ADs are looking for sales people that don't know much so that they get excited as much as the client over the "wrong" facts and close the sale and get the client out the door before he gets to "google it"

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
RE: the bulova story, it sounds like you're just picking on the guy... Btw the GS is actually +/-10 secs a year and there are four current models that use the 9F movement.

I think we all agree we know more than most sales personnel but to just go in looking for something to call them out on is a bit wrong. Maybe if I was plastered and didn't care I would but at the end of the day they're just trying to feed their family. Personally if that was my job I would learn everything possible but again it's just some guy/girl trying to make ends meet. I've said it before and I'll say it again, most ADs are looking for sales people that don't know much so that they get excited as much as the client over the "wrong" facts and close the sale and get the client out the door before he gets to "google it"
No, the GS I referenced is +/- 5 sec per year.

And I wasn't picking on the guy at all. There was literally a sign not 3 feet away on the Bulova display that said "with a continously sweeping second hand". It was a "let me finish your sentence to make it true" moment and I didn't deliver it like a snob. There was much more to the conversation though. We talked for about 10 mins. He didn't know what an ETA 2824 movement was and when I showed him a pic of a rose gold/black dialed Tissot Le Locle, he said it was most certainly a limited edition and I probably wasn't going to find it in a store anywhere. I walked over to Macy's and tried it on...

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Do not discount the negative/less than enjoyable experiences of anyone for sure but . . . . I've never been inside another Tourneau aside from the one that services my geographic location, but along with that shop I've visited pretty much every other watch retailer/boutique/AD I can get to here (Ben Bridge, Macy's Jewel Gallery, Rolex, Cartier, Hermes, Montblanc, smaller specialty watch stores).

In every case, a nice, pleasant encounter with sales people, some openly impressed with my fairly limited horological knowledge with a couple (same store) admitting to less information (my standard dress is jeans and tee, btw). I've only purchased from Tourneau but return visits to the others continue to engender said pleasant experiences. I'm either the luckiest chap on earth, completely ignorant to personal interaction cues, maybe both. Perhaps it really is Hawaii's "Aloha Spirit", maybe it's the fact that some employees are born and bred here, though there are people from outside Hawaii (I learn a lot from conversing), especially in the Waikiki shops.

Fairly formally educated I am, travelled some already though unfortunately pre watch disease, maybe when I "get out" again, my experiences will be less than enjoyable, hope not though . . .

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
A good friend of mine and fellow WUS'er recently told me of a time that he went into a Tourneau location in Manhattan wearing something that was less 'acceptable' than their usual stock (It may have been a Mido Multifort, but I stand to be corrected). Well, they apparently really gave him the nose-up treatment because of his watch.
It was a Mido, you're correct. I think it all reflects on the salesperson, not necessarily the store.

It's funny, after talking to a salesperson for a few minutes, they realize you know what you're talking about and the entire mood changes instantly.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Ive always had the worst experience at Tourneau...i wouldnt buy i watch from them even if i was paid to do so. Thats why i always go in thinking (and knowing) they are devilish sales people. Bless my dealer who will help me out no matter where i am...

·
Premium Member
7,281 Posts
If I thought a store so poor that I was determined to never buy from them, what could possibly possess me to walk through the door?

As I said in another thread, I go to a watch store to be shown off to, not to show off. For one thing, I don't want them thinking I'm rich--rich people have a name in retail: "mark." I want them thinking I'm sorta like them, so that they will give me the deal they'd like to get.

As far as knowing the product, I can do my own research.

Rick "the burden of knowledge is on the buyer" Denney

Reactions: jsw41

·
Registered
900 Posts
I don't think retail associates should be expected to be experts in whatever they are selling. I am a student working part-time in a farm supply store at the moment, and I consider my expectations to be to 1) Get whatever it is that the customer wishes to purchase, and 2) Take their money. Sure, if the customer asks a question I do my best to find out the answer, but I do not pretend to be an expert in agriculture; The only reason I work in this store is because it's close to my house and am able to work my shifts around my studies. Watch stores are no different - these are in all likelihood guys who have little to no interest in what they are selling, and don't spend their free time on forums, just like I don't spend my free time on farm forums. I expect no more from them than to let me see whatever watch I want to see, and take my money if I decide to make a purchase.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have always had very good & pleasant experiences at Tourneau, both at the SF location as well as the (now closed) SJ one. I have been there many number of times and the SA have always been attentive and indulged me with trying on as many watches I want.
Infact, recently at the SF store, I tried on IWC and JLC and the lady there suggested that I try for kicks others as well including the more expensive VCs. And I have been dressed in casuals, buttoned up shirts and in suit and there has been no perceived snootiness from them... I guess I have been lucky so far :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts