WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Great collection -- i especially like the Cartier I hadn't known much about it beforehand! Seems liek you've put a lot of thought into this and you have enough breadth in the collection that they'll all get wrist time. I've been racking my brain for how to get a GS in this collection to balance out the European manufacturers, but the GS spring drive diver seems way too Rolex-ey, and I love the JLC sector chrono and wouldn't take one of them over it. Tough problem to live with ;).

·
Premium Member
13,590 Posts
Nice great and themed collection. I wouldn't call the Omega Seamaster 300 a low end watch because technically it beats the Rolex on every level. It is also far less common and more aesthetically pleasing than Subs or Sea Dwellers. The lange and Söhne is awesome and so is the JLC Chrono.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmm ... two spots left in the box. The obvious category missing is "Diver" (I know you have the Seamaster in the "Sport" collection). Could the Seamaster be shifted to "low end" diver with perhaps a [vintage] FF Bathyscape as the high end? This would free up space for another low end sport watch - which could be filled with another chronograph or a GS.

I love the concept and was thinking of something similar - with the categories of:

Dress: PP Calatrava (H) and JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon (L);
Casual: ALS 1815 Chronograph (H) and GS Hi-Beat GMT (L); and
Diver: FF Bathyscape (H) and a Rolex Submariner (L).

I could also be more realistic and convert all my lows to highs and introduce The following in their stead: Diver (L) could be my Seiko SKX007, Casual (L) could be my Tag Heuer Carrera CV2010 and Dress (L) my Montblanc Chronometre Heritage Ultra-slim.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Nice vision or plan for your collection and by definition it has to be really good for you. Can't imagine anyone arguing about the brands or giving a negative comment, about what you like. Personally like you I'm pretty much done, but I don't get caught up in filling price point categories or trying to figure out if it is a Sports or Dress. I tended to build my collection more towards the iconic watches and styles I like and are priced right for me. I ended up with way too many sports watches that cost way too much well that's my vision. Obviously no better or worse than yours.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Great collection -- i especially like the Cartier I hadn't known much about it beforehand! Seems liek you've put a lot of thought into this and you have enough breadth in the collection that they'll all get wrist time. I've been racking my brain for how to get a GS in this collection to balance out the European manufacturers, but the GS spring drive diver seems way too Rolex-ey, and I love the JLC sector chrono and wouldn't take one of them over it. Tough problem to live with ;).
The only Grand Seiko that really captures my imagination is the Grand Seiko SBGW033, which is one of the most amazing watches ever made. Unfortunately those rarely ever come up for sale and, if they ever do, it would need to be a fast purchase so I'd have to have the funds in the watch kitty available. If I could swing it, I'd absolutely devote one of the two Wild Card slots to it but I can't imagine it ever displacing the Lange or Cartier in my dress watch slot.

Nice great and themed collection. I wouldn't call the Omega Seamaster 300 a low end watch because technically it beats the Rolex on every level. It is also far less common and more aesthetically pleasing than Subs or Sea Dwellers. The lange and Söhne is awesome and so is the JLC Chrono.
True enough that the Omega probably beats the modern Sub on paper but as far as value goes it can be had much cheaper (and aesthetics are personal, I prefer the timeless design of the sub but I do think the Omega is quite a looker!)

Hmm ... two spots left in the box. The obvious category missing is "Diver" (I know you have the Seamaster in the "Sport" collection). Could the Seamaster be shifted to "low end" diver with perhaps a [vintage] FF Bathyscape as the high end? This would free up space for another low end sport watch - which could be filled with another chronograph or a GS.

I love the concept and was thinking of something similar - with the categories of:

Dress: PP Calatrava (H) and JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon (L);
Casual: ALS 1815 Chronograph (H) and GS Hi-Beat GMT (L); and
Diver: FF Bathyscape (H) and a Rolex Submariner (L).

I could also be more realistic and convert all my lows to highs and introduce The following in their stead: Diver (L) could be my Seiko SKX007, Casual (L) could be my Tag Heuer Carrera CV2010 and Dress (L) my Montblanc Chronometre Heritage Ultra-slim.
Great ideas on your own collection! I don't think I'd personally make Diver its own category but thats the best thing about this hobby, everyone can do it their own way and there is no wrong way to do it!|>

Reactions: chivdog

·
Registered
364 Posts
The only Grand Seiko that really captures my imagination is the Grand Seiko SBGW033, which is one of the most amazing watches ever made. Unfortunately those rarely ever come up for sale and, if they ever do, it would need to be a fast purchase so I'd have to have the funds in the watch kitty available. If I could swing it, I'd absolutely devote one of the two Wild Card slots to it but I can't imagine it ever displacing the Lange or Cartier in my dress watch slot.

True enough that the Omega probably beats the modern Sub on paper but as far as value goes it can be had much cheaper (and aesthetics are personal, I prefer the timeless design of the sub but I do think the Omega is quite a looker!)

Great ideas on your own collection! I don't think I'd personally make Diver its own category but thats the best thing about this hobby, everyone can do it their own way and there is no wrong way to do it!|>

There is a renewed GS coming on the market. The SBWG 251/252/253 limited edition. With little changes applied to the looks and case mm. ;)

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
So, your "vision" is predicated on the size of your watch box? ("I own an 8 watch wacthbox so I'm keeping my core collection to 6.") Seems a rather artificial constraint at best.

I prefer the think "outside of the box" approach, rather than trying to see what I can fit into it. Nice watches, but I don't really get the "vision".

·
Registered
689 Posts
So, your "vision" is predicated on the size of your watch box? ("I own an 8 watch wacthbox so I'm keeping my core collection to 6.") Seems a rather artificial constraint at best.

I prefer the think "outside of the box" approach, rather than trying to see what I can fit into it. Nice watches, but I don't really get the "vision".
I do the same as the OP. Having a rather one track mind or slightly OCD or whatever... I have a 10 slot watch box and having more than that would drive me nuts. Besides, I enjoy the idea of quality over quantity, so when one comes in, it has to be a replacement for one I already have (meaning that one has to go). Besides, any more than that, and they wouldn't get the wrist time that they deserve, IMO.

Reactions: MZhammer and drhr

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
Love the collection - both in terms of watches and how you have structured it. I have something similar - combining use cases (dressy, smart, casual) as well as various colors, functionality, key brands.

Thanks for taking the time to do the write-up. I always like hearing about how others structure their collections.

Reactions: MZhammer

·
Registered
8,427 Posts

Speaking for myself, the interesting thing about posts like this isnt whether or not I agree with someone's visions or preferences - it is about getting an insight into how someone else approaches the hobby, how they filter down to their purchases, etc. To me, the "I like it, so i bought it without thinking of anything else" is probably the most uninteresting way to collect anything.

As for the constraint being artificial - pretty much every constraint we put on our collection is, after all.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

That's a valid point of view but I can't disagree more. Thinking out of the box (or, more accurately, without a box at all) has historically been my pattern. I bought what caught my eye and while it is fun, it leads to very few keepers that I build a connection with. The whole point of this exercise has been to "build a framework for what will be an attainable (and maintainable) collection that will give me the flexibility I wear day in and day out." and thus that is what the vision is predicated on. It happens to be that I have an 8 watch box and I could have very well said that my vision will be for 8 (or I could have said F it, I'm buying a second box) but it wasn't, it was for 6.

Why was it for 6? Well, like everyone, I have limited means and I choose to play within those means. That requires that I either consolidate into fewer, higher end pieces or buy more, lower end pieces. For me, that decision is easy as I have only one wrist which can support a watch and I like "Nicer" watches. Furthermore, I wear dress watches, casual watches and sport watches all with regularity. I actually wear dress watches the most, followed by sport; having a representation of all three in my collection would be essential for it to feel complete to me.

Beyond that, these watches are meant to all be keepers so I'm planning on future services and with 6 watches, and service intervals roughly every 6-8 years, I'll be sending in one watch every year for a service. By having a pair for each category that ensures that, no matter which watch I service each year, I've got another from the same category to wear.

Finally, with 6 core watches I know they will all get wrist time. I'm not here to hoard watches nor am I here to put watches into my safe. I wear them and that is the only way I enjoy them. Others differ from me, and thats cool, but a watch sitting in my safety deposit box does nothing for me. I usually wear a watch for a few days before moving to the next one and if I had 20 watches and wore each one for 3 days it would take months before I'd wear them all.

The beauty is that there is no wrong way to collect!

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
^^^ Interestingly, @MZhammer - my core collection is 12 watches (up from 8), and it has been set to that number mainly because I couldnt find a good 10-watch box when i was buying.

Reactions: MZhammer

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey guys, I have a question. I am kind of new on this website and in the watch world. I have 3 watches i want to sell.

Now is my question how can i offer them on this website (i tried but cause i am new i am guessing you have to get acces somehow to sell watches here) and do you know any more sites where you can offer them? without paying an absurd fee like eBay is asking.

If someone can help me on this i will be very grateful.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ooh and btw the reason i want to sell is because i am on a list for the new speedmaster trilogy version that comes out end of July. With the money made i will add one of those to my collection. And i am thinking of either the Rolex sub no date or the Tudor Black bay blue bezel. The new JLC chronograph is also on my list but i am not convinced yet. I love the looks but i need it on my wrist first..

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
MZ- what you've already collected is great! And those you're planning to add are beautiful also! You definitely have a certain style.
I like your Hi/Low framework for each category. I find this useful for me in setting my sights on watches, too. I need some rules, otherwise I might buy everything!!

I've been having an internal debate about 2 of your categories (and another one of my own): Casual, Sport & Tool. They blur together for me, so I keep trying to make them fit as a larger category or figure out how to delineate them. In your example, you divide (I don't know if this is on purpose) on bezels/No bezel, leather strap/bracelet lines.

Based on your collection, (if you really wanted input and it doesn't seem you need it!), it appears you might appreciate Glashutte Original, like the Seventies:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Assuming you're ok with another square/rectangular watch, It can be had in blue, white or grey, with or without the bracelet. This (IMO) is one of the few dressy/casual watches that pulls off the bracelet very well and would add a bracelet to your casual lineup.
Or Panomatic Lunar, Or Panoreserve ( I don't think you have these complications). Admittedly these are favorites of mine, but they might fit your style (maybe...or maybe I'm totally wrong) if you can handle asymmetry.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal
Once again, your choice of dial color.

I love that you have 2 "Minor League" slots, that watches can "try out" in. Great way to see if they deserve to get called up to the big leagues or moved on.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
MZ- what you've already collected is great! And those you're planning to add are beautiful also! You definitely have a certain style.
I like your Hi/Low framework for each category. I find this useful for me in setting my sights on watches, too. I need some rules, otherwise I might buy everything!!

I've been having an internal debate about 2 of your categories (and another one of my own): Casual, Sport & Tool. They blur together for me, so I keep trying to make them fit as a larger category or figure out how to delineate them. In your example, you divide (I don't know if this is on purpose) on bezels/No bezel, leather strap/bracelet lines.

Based on your collection, (if you really wanted input and it doesn't seem you need it!), it appears you might appreciate Glashutte Original, like the Seventies:

Assuming you're ok with another square/rectangular watch, It can be had in blue, white or grey, with or without the bracelet. This (IMO) is one of the few dressy/casual watches that pulls off the bracelet very well and would add a bracelet to your casual lineup.

Or Panomatic Lunar, Or Panoreserve ( I don't think you have these complications). Admittedly these are favorites of mine, but they might fit your style (maybe...or maybe I'm totally wrong) if you can handle asymmetry.

Once again, your choice of dial color.

I love that you have 2 "Minor League" slots, that watches can "try out" in. Great way to see if they deserve to get called up to the big leagues or moved on.
I certainly combine Sport and Tool into one category (I use the terms interchangeably, both should be able to handle hunting/fishing/camping without worry). I delineate casual watches as those that are too large or too complicated to be dress watches but too delicate to be true tool/sport watches. My Nomos and future JLC both find their way into that midspace as they're 40mm so they're both too large for a dress watch (just my opinion) but yet they're too delicate to take hunting or fishing. They look best with jeans and a button down or a sweater.

You're correct that I enjoy the Glashutte Seventies and I'd be considering it for the casual category (as it's clearly not a dress watch nor is it robust enough to be a sports watch) but it would have to replace the JLC as my high end piece and the JLC is cooler by a fair margin (and I plan to put it on a Milanese band so it will have a bracelet) but the GO would be a very respectable alternative. As far as the Panomatic goes, I can't get behind that one... Too similar to the pioneeing Lange 1 for my tastes, exceptional quality watch though!

Reactions: Tommywine0

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Hey guys, I have a question. I am kind of new on this website and in the watch world. I have 3 watches i want to sell.

Now is my question how can i offer them on this website (i tried but cause i am new i am guessing you have to get acces somehow to sell watches here) and do you know any more sites where you can offer them? without paying an absurd fee like eBay is asking.

If someone can help me on this i will be very grateful.
Please don't list the watches for sale. FS posts are not allowed in the Public forum. After you have 100 contributory posts and have been a member for 3 months you will have access to the Sales Corner.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
So the Nomos finally came in. The size is pushing it for my personal preferences but I love the dial color and the complication. The city pusher is very smooth and the quality overall is very nice (although the single finishing on the case would be much improved had they added a second finish).

Overall, it's likely a keeper, provided I enjoy the size ling term. I am so used to wearing pure dress watches that 40mm feels large haha. I think it will go great with jeans and a sport shirt once I get acclimated.

The color is beautiful, the complication is well executed and the look is refreshingly different from my other pieces which was the aim afterall.
Circle Wood Pattern Beige Design
Wrist Finger Hand Fashion accessory Ring

21 - 40 of 70 Posts