WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this today in my news feed from Time + Tide watches. A year on the wrist review.

Does anyone think that the writer was right?
1) Do you think this is going to be discontinued this year now that Rolex's involvement with the original Bloodhound SSC ended in 2018 when the project hit financial troubles?
2) Considering that the design is very polarising, do you think an update (or a new model) might make an appearance soon? Like in September?

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Interesting article Sir Dogbert, thanks for sharing (y)

1) Yes, I think it's going to be discontinued. We already discussed this matter and were both agreeing that it won't live long due to its weak popularity, and the fact that Rolex pulled out of the project is definitely the end of the road for the AK, as we know it.

2) I may be wrong, but I don't see the name Air-King on a Rolex in the near future.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Obviously Rolex had lots of number 5s in the warehouse and they needed a dial to offload them. It will be discontinued once the stock levels are back to normal...

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
2) I may be wrong, but I don't see the name Air-King on a Rolex in the near future.
While I would agree that this specific reference is not long for this world, I think there is still a market for the white dial reference. I would go so far as to say that Rolex might even give the Air King the OP treatment, and offer it in a variety of dial colors.

Then again, I've long been of the mind that Rolex would slim down its catalog, discontinuing poor performers in order to reallocate production to more popular models.

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
While I would agree that this specific reference is not long for this world, I think there is still a market for the white dial reference. I would go so far as to say that Rolex might even give the Air King the OP treatment, and offer it in a variety of dial colors.

Then again, I've long been of the mind that Rolex would slim down its catalog, discontinuing poor performers in order to reallocate production to more popular models.

Regards,
Alysandir
The Air-King, since its beginning was never a proper aviator watch, Rolex took regular watches and printed Air-King on the dial, with some occasional minor cosmetic variations that had no fonctionality. The last one before the Bloodhound couldn't be differentiated from the OP without close examination. The only AK that could be unmistakenly recognised was the Bloodhound, which, IMO, is overdue. Unless they come up with something completely different, I don't see the need for a new AK.

The second part of your post would confirm my thoughts about the AK

·
Registered
677 Posts
Love the Air King. I know I am going backwards and forwards with my Air King purchasing but the fact is it will be repurchased before year end. My AD reckons he can easily acquire one for me so I should be good this year. He did mention the word, "easy" so I'm not sure what he's playing at. Perhaps it may not be discontinued but like you, Dogbert, I could be wrong.

You and Brother PF both share my thoughts.

Regards,
Alysandir
I would hate it if the Air King got the OP treatment. It won't suit different colours! Anything other than lumed 3, 6, 9 indices will ruin it in my opinion. I like the dial just as it is.

·
Registered
18,414 Posts
I'm putting a nickel on it gaining lumed 3-6-9 when it gets a movement update.

And a TRF member's article & video about how it's a great pilot's watch (he's a domestic pilot, and felt that the minutes markers plus the antimagnetic protection were both highly beneficial) make me think that it might have a loyal following.

But, man, that's a niche following, too..

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm putting a nickel on it gaining lumed 3-6-9 when it gets a movement update.

And a TRF member's article & video about how it's a great pilot's watch (he's a domestic pilot, and felt that the minutes markers plus the antimagnetic protection were both highly beneficial) make me think that it might have a loyal following.

But, man, that's a niche following, too..
Yeah, I've seen that pilots video. His name is Danny I think. I love the Air King but would absolutely prefer it to have lumed markers. As a pilots (sort of)/racing watch the decision to have minimal lume on it was a really poor choice. Perhaps they did this as an intended design flaw so they could re-release it again. I would also love to have the Air King upgraded with a better movement.

Reactions: 5959HH

·
Registered
18,414 Posts
Yeah, I've seen that pilots video. His name is Danny I think. I love the Air King but would absolutely prefer it to have lumed markers. As a pilots (sort of)/racing watch the decision to have minimal lume on it was a really poor choice. Perhaps they did this as an intended design flaw so they could re-release it again. I would also love to have the Air King upgraded with a better movement.
Yup. It made no sense to lume only the 12:00 triangle and nothing else. I could see justification for not painting lume on the minutes numerals as Rolex switched to applied white gold indicies under the premise of better stability. But still, it’s less useful in the dark than a base model Oyster Perpetual.

·
Premium Member
12,336 Posts
Interesting article Sir Dogbert, thanks for sharing (y)

1) Yes, I think it's going to be discontinued. We already discussed this matter and were both agreeing that it won't live long due to its weak popularity, and the fact that Rolex pulled out of the project is definitely the end of the road for the AK, as we know it.

View attachment 15373605
I have a feeling you may get be correct. Interestingly enough Rolex discontinued their 116600 SD4K, also considered unpopular, after a brief three-year run in favor of the 126600 SD43. Now both the SD4K and SD43 are selling for close to the same price on the preowned market. If and when the Bloodhound Air King is discontinued, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it rise in price on the preowned market as well.

This is, of course, your very own photoshopped picture of what many of us consider would have been a better designed AK dial.

Since the AK is so similar to the Milgauss (same case, movement and bracelet), one would have to wonder what will become of the Milgauss should the current AK be discontinued?

·
Registered
74 Posts

Interesting article. It sounds like the author should title it A Year Not on the Wrist. I disagree with him on a few points:
1) it doesn’t wear big. My other daily wear is a titanium Breitling Aerospace. This is a heavier watch but is just as comfortable as the Breitling. I get zero wrist rub/callous from the crown.
2) not enough lume. I wear it at night for the lume and can easily tell the difference between 3:20am and 4:20am. The lume lasts longer than the Breitling lume and is brighter than my tritium capsule watch.

Purchased in Feb 2019, I’ve worn it in all conditions and probably should take it off more often for thins like moving and yard work but I don’t. It’s showing some scrapes but I like it and believe in using high quality items.

The one thing I’ve noticed though is the lack of attention it gets. In 17 months of ownership NOT ONE person has asked about it. Not that I’m in need of attention but I like to talk watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
too funny, a "year on the wrist" review for a watch that has sat in the safe because its "too big/ top heavy" for the owners wrist.

I will admit these look a lot better when viewed on someone else wrist ( the one i saw being worn "in real Life" ) than they do splashed across a 24 inch screen..... I however also felt it was too large and heavy for my wrist when I tired one on so Im not surprised he felt that way with his self described small wrists. It felt like it dwarfed mine at 7 inches but the iron case also adds to the heft.

while I'm not a fan I think they could removed the polished 3/6/9 and re-release with the printed version above.... add some lume onto those numbers and you would have a winner IMO, and a way to continue to order up some quirky alternatives to the usual options.

·
Premium Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to those who have posted and kept this discussion clean. I know previous discussions on the Air King had been polarising.

<snip> ... I would agree that this specific reference is not long for this world, I think there is still a market for the white dial reference. I would go so far as to say that Rolex might even give the Air King the OP treatment, and offer it in a variety of dial colors.
<snip> ... Rolex took regular watches and printed Air-King on the dial, with some occasional minor cosmetic variations that had no fonctionality (sic). The last one before the Bloodhound couldn't be differentiated from the OP without close examination. The only AK that could be unmistakenly recognised was the Bloodhound, which, IMO, is overdue. Unless they come up with something completely different, I don't see the need for a new AK.
I think both of you gents have a point. Taking a leaf out of the Milgauss playbook, I can see that we may see a variation of the dial, ether with your concept @Panerol Forte with the numerical 15, 30, 45 (which I don't see happening but more likely a lumed 3, 6, 9) or a white dial as per @Alysandir's post.

·
Premium Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Air-King, since its beginning was never a proper aviator watch, Rolex took regular watches and printed Air-King on the dial, with some occasional minor cosmetic variations.....
Just a follow up on that statement ^^^.

If you catalogue all the types of Rolex sport watches, you will realise that nearly all of them are a variation of the same watch, an Oyster case, for example; the early GMT Master shared the case with the Sub as did the Sea Dweller and the Yachtmaster looked like a Datejust with a rotating bezel. So, shoehorning a new design into an existing case is a time tested (and lazy) route Rolex takes on product development.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts