WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw two watches on Amazon one a Forsining Panari Homage and one called Fanmis Winner an IWC Homage. The case back shows A458, A005 respectively. I assume these are the movements. The reviews are good does anyone know these movements or have any experience with these movements. Links are here.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Whatever the movement is, at that price point I would expect it to be unregulated and not lubricated. So if it works at all, it may stop at any point in the near future. I'd give that a hard pass or at least try to find some reviews from people who have had either of those models for more than a few months.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,954 Posts
Those codes on the back, if they have any meaning at all, are more likely to be the model number of the watch, rather than the movement.

As best as I can tell from the photos, they both use variants of the Tongji movement, but from different factories. Which factories, I couldn't say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those codes on the back, if they have any meaning at all, are more likely to be the model number of the watch, rather than the movement.

As best as I can tell from the photos, they both use variants of the Tongji movement, but from different factories. Which factories, I couldn't say.
Do you thing they would keep decent time, as beaters if hand wound daily?

·
18,954 Posts
Do you thing they would keep decent time, as beaters if hand wound daily?
They might. But you're right about needing to hand wind to keep them running. Frequently the modern Tongji autos with double-reverser winding can't actually wind themselves unless you're a gymnast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They might. But you're right about needing to hand wind to keep them running. Frequently the modern Tongji autos with double-reverser winding can't actually wind themselves unless you're a gymnast.
I'm constantly moving my hands as a bartender but after the reviews, I'll probably wind it anyway. I just hope it keeps decent time as I travel alot. What about serviceability or even switching the Movements to a japanese one can this be done?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Sorry to say, but that is easier said than done. You would need to find the correct sized movement(with the correct width and depth) or find a movement and the correct sized spacer. Then you have to the think about dial anchoring and finding hands that fit. Then you need to find a stem and crown. Way to much hassle!!!!

Honestly, save your money and buy a different watch.
Get a Sea-Gull or an Orient or a Seiko. Or a Casio G-shock.
I think a square G-Shock would be the perfect watch for a bartender. I love my G-Shocks!
Check out the DW-5600 cheap, waterproof, has backlight, and it looks great.

switching the Movements to a japanese one can this be done?

·
Registered
378 Posts
once the GShocks come out, we're like 2 posts away from a "Hamilton Khaki" suggestion ;)

Nothing wrong with Gs but OP obvs is looking for something analog.

There's lots of great chinese autos on aliexpress for $100-200, and there's dozens of reviews on youtube for popular ones ("Just One More Watch" reviews a lot of these). If you're concerned about the movement, stick to ones with seiko NH35 movements and you'll be fine. San Marino, Pagani, Steeldive, Loreo, GuanQin, there's a bunch more brands on there that have some good watches for great value.

I picked up a Forsinning watch in a thrift store grab bag, the auto movement isn't good at all, maybe a good practice movement. There's lots of good Chinese movements, this wasn't one of them.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Why are you assuming he is looking for analog? He never states that specifically.

The reason I suggested a Gshock is because he is a bartender. I worked in the service industry when I was in university.
It would be foolish to wear a watch with a leather strap if there is chance you are going to get liquid on it (on a daily basis) at your job.
Both of the watches he shared have leather(PU) staps.

Also, I would pick a Gshock over any of the watches you suggested. That is just me.
The great thing about a forum is that people get to read different opinions and then figure things out for themselves.

I own many watches, but I love my Gshocks. My "Full Metal" GWM-B5000 gets more wrist time these days than any other watch I own. (and it has gotten the most compliments out of any watch I have ever owned)

BTW, I would NEVER suggest a Hamilton Khaki. ;)

once the GShocks come out, we're like 2 posts away from a "Hamilton Khaki" suggestion ;)

Nothing wrong with Gs but OP obvs is looking for something analog.

·
18,954 Posts
I'm constantly moving my hands as a bartender but after the reviews, I'll probably wind it anyway. I just hope it keeps decent time as I travel alot. What about serviceability or even switching the Movements to a japanese one can this be done?
Keeping the recommendations within the realms of Chinese mechanical watches, here is an example of a simple ordinary modern Chinese watch with reputable Chinese automatic movement. It is all steel with screw-down crown, bracelet, sapphire crystal and compact dimensions; all of which would be useful features for a bartender. The downside is that it is an unimaginative copy of a Rolex rather than an original design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts