WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a lot of discussion about forcing patina on bronze for and against in a couple of threads. I wanted to show my results of patina with my new A1. I'm happy now with my results. I have forced patina 3 different ways over the last couple of days. The first time I tried a small rock of liver of sulfur in a wash rag. This did not yield good results for me. The watch immediately turned black, and the patina rubbed off quite easily. The patina was very blotchy and uneven. I was not happy with the results. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures, as I was more worried if I would get my A1 back to clean again. I soaked the watch in a cup of Coke for a few hours and that took care of most of the patina. Klean Strip phosphoric acid did the trick for the rest of the stubborn patina. A magic eraser cleaned up the tough spots. I was finally back to the beginning.

I tried the egg treatment next on 2 occasions. Unfortunately this resulted in 6 lost eggs and no real patina. What patina did result easily washed off with soap and water. I was beginning to think I was going to have to age this watch naturally. I decided to give the liver of sulfur 1 more shot.

What ended up working for me was a solution of liver of sulfur in a cup of water. I took a piece of LOS rock about half the size of small marble into about 1 cup of water. I had a separate cup of water with some baking soda on the side to neutralize the solution. I dipped the bronze in the LOS solution for about 3 seconds which gave me the desired color I was looking for in my patina. I then transfered the bronze into the baking soda solution to neutralize. I left the bronze in the baking soda solution for a couple of minutes stirring occasionally. This quick dip in the LOS solution gave the bronze a very cool blued effect, with the patina creating blue, red and purple highlights. You can see some of these highlights in the bezel lugs in the pictures below. It looks like gasoline on water. Very cool. After it sat in the baking soda solution I dried it off and polished it with a rouge cloth and my fingers. The last 2 pics are how the watch started out before treatment. Sorry for the long description, now here are the pics.

ArmidaA1BronzeBlue261.jpg ArmidaA1BronzeBlue21.jpg ArmidaA1BronzeBlue23.jpg ArmidaA1BronzeBlue18.jpg ArmidaA1BronzeBlue6-1.jpg ArmidaA1BronzeBlue1-1.jpg ArmidaA1BronzeBlue10.jpg ArmidaA1BronzeBlue9.jpg

·
Registered
556 Posts
Nice color hue. I'm gonna let my A1 sits a couple more weeks, hopefully start my Ocean fishing routine, to see what happen. I do like yours..Niceeeeee.

·
6,602 Posts
Nice patina & excellent photos :-!

Cheers
Shannon

Reactions: nellipj

·
Registered
221 Posts
THX for sharing!!
It looks good!

Here is mine using LOS in a cup of water......

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I'm really liking the bronze. It's like having a living metal on your wrist, even if I did force it's start!

Reactions: totorol
1 - 11 of 11 Posts