WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day 2 of an 8-day vacation trip and my Speedy loses a hand...500 miles from home. Hacked it so it won’t be pushing the hand around on the dial but there’s lots of traveling to be done before it’s back home. Of course no good WIS travels with just one watch so I have backups. But still!

·
Registered
251 Posts
What kind of abuse are you subjecting a speedy to that would cause a hand to pop off! I decided years ago that my vacation watch has to be something I couldn’t care less if it exploded on vacation. Voila!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Day 2 of an 8-day vacation trip and my Speedy loses a hand...500 miles from home. Hacked it so it won’t be pushing the hand around on the dial but there’s lots of traveling to be done before it’s back home. Of course no good WIS travels with just one watch so I have backups. But still! View attachment 15376195
What you get for buying an inferior watch maker? :-/

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
That sucks...never had a hand come off any watch at any time.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Never had this happen to me however I've got a few that came that way. Should be an easy fix. I would wrap it up and store it face down.

Reactions: Yamidan

·
Registered
547 Posts
At least youre on vacation. Enjoy.

with four kids, we won’t be able to go on holiday until there is a working vaccine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, the Speedmaster is not a particularly good watch for "abusing" as such. Do you even know what or when it fell off or just happened to notice it and not sure when it happened?

As far as traveling, stay safe...I can't imagine doing that with the current er...state of affairs going on right now.

Reactions: JCB43

·
Registered
322 Posts
Any repairman worth his salt can fix that in 5 minutes. See who’s local and if he can do it while-you-wait.

·
Premium Member
20,608 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but given that the Speedy Reduced is only water resistant to 30m, it wouldn't have been my choice for a vacation watch.

Reactions: JCB43

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Don’t let it upset your vacation and I would bring it home for the repair. I’m sure you will survive without it for the next 6 days. Great the way people on here tell you which watch you should have brought on vacation when you are already on vacation. Next they will be telling where you should have gone on vacation.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Literally a 5 minute fix. Did someone work on the watch previously? I have had hands pop off Seiko chronos when the tubes stretch but never a second hand.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That Apollo 15 astronaut had to use his Bulova moon watch as a backup to his Speedmaster. Might want to look into one of those.
It's a very nice watch, I've got a black Lunar Pilot. I've no idea how much damage it can take and I don't really want to find out.

I can't imagine wanting to subject a speedy to anything that can make the hands pop off. Those things should be able to cope with spaceflight.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
Any repairman worth his salt can fix that in 5 minutes. See who’s local and if he can do it while-you-wait.
Yeah, I'd personally try this.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now for the rest of the story. When I first got the watch about 3 years ago I removed and reinstalled that hand to get it indexed on the 60-mark, and it took 3 or 4 attempts to get it right (and it was PERFECT), so maybe the tube got wallered-out (my favorite technical term) and I’d say i’m to blame. I’ll stake the tube down a little and re-install when I get home. And it came loose when resetting after using the chrono...it first started spinning freely on the staff and then fell off.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts