WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a X-33 Speedmaster (Gen 2) which has served me well through two tours of duty in Afghanistan and Iraq, up until today that is. Pulled out the crown to start the mission timer and the crown came out! I have found some references to this problem, but not its cause or how to correct it. Are the threads on the crown stem stripped, or inside the sleeve on the case? I don't even know how to install or remove the crown and stem under "regular" circumstances. The stem slides into the sleeve easily but does not engage the usual crown functions, and I appear to be unable to screw the crown into anything.

Any help would be appreciated. I guess I'll buy a cheapo beater at the BX to use in the meantime...

Thanks from the sandbox,

Patrick

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Pat, welcome to the forum.

On the subject of the crown, it would surprise me that you could put this back together yourself except if you have watchmaking skills and the correct tools.

I saw one de-cased X-33 a long time ago, and the internal mechanism holding the crown had to be dismantled from the inside of the watch (they were some tiny levers and such if I remember correctly).

Your best bet would be to send it for repairs....

PS: as someone who puts his life on the line daily, Godspeed to you!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have found some references to this problem, but not its cause or how to correct it.
It sounds like a broken stem, no watch is immune to this. You'll need to bring the watch in to a watchmaker and it should be a quick and easy fix. Someone on this board with an Omega parts catalog can maybe give you the part number so that you can give it to your watchmaker to make the repair as smooth as possible. Ideally, you'd order the part yourself and have it on hand when bringing it in for repair.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Welcome to the forum;-)

The best thing to do would be to take it to an Omega AD/Repair centre as soon as you can. The first generation models suffered from "collapsing" crowns, similar to what you describe. Your experience is the first I've heard of a gen 2 crown's failing. This could be - I assume you're a pilot - because you've been using it every day. How long have you had the watch?

Once repaired, it should be back to normal.

Good luck and hope you get the issue resolved,

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies! It doesn't appear to be the "collapsing crown" problem where the crown sinks in, rather the entire crown and stem have parted company from the rest of the watch. There's a brief mention of this about 2/3 of the way down the article at http://www.bsodmike.com/pages/review-omega-speedmaster-professional-x-33/, under "Problems & complaints", the "crown coming out" problem.

In fact it appears exactly as the crown in the upper left corner of the first picture under the "Inside the Case" section of that article. I'm just reluctant to crack the case without some idea of what in blazes I'm doing.

The stem doesn't appear to be broken, it looks pretty much as part 51.020 in the Calibre 1666 service manual online at http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/omega/manuals/service/1666/cal_1666_service_manual.html, with the crown attached to the non-pointy end. Darned if I can tell from the schematic how to install it, or what is holding it in, or if the crown needs to be somehow detached from the stem before installation.

Thanks again for the help!

Patrick

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies! It doesn't appear to be the "collapsing crown" problem where the crown sinks in, rather the entire crown and stem have parted company from the rest of the watch. There's a brief mention of this about 2/3 of the way down the article at http://www.bsodmike.com/pages/review-omega-speedmaster-professional-x-33/, under "Problems & complaints", the "crown coming out" problem.

In fact it appears exactly as the crown in the upper left corner of the first picture under the "Inside the Case" section of that article. I'm just reluctant to crack the case without some idea of what in blazes I'm doing.

The stem doesn't appear to be broken, it looks pretty much as part 51.020 in the Calibre 1666 service manual online at http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/omega/manuals/service/1666/cal_1666_service_manual.html, with the crown attached to the non-pointy end. Darned if I can tell from the schematic how to install it, or what is holding it in, or if the crown needs to be somehow detached from the stem before installation.

Thanks again for the help!

Patrick
Ok, you mention that the crown is attachted to the stem, but now both parts are detached from the movement, right? If so, it sounds like the stem has come away from the module. The X-33 has a button on the back of the module that you depress to remove the crown stem. There could be a problem with this part.

The main thing that bothers me is that there could be damage to the module, which would require a trip to Omega. How old is the watch, Pat? On the other hand, it seems you've located the part and if you're feeling brave enough (or you're good with screwdrivers:-d), below is a link describing how to upgrade a gen1 model to gen2 spec'. It has a section regarding removing and replacing the crown stem.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg&th=844095&rid=13302#msg_2793953

With the link above, they're maybe no need to take it to an AD, as long as once you open up the watch all is fine and dandy under the hood.

All the best Pat,

:-!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You are the bomb (so to speak). I gave that a try, and something internally does seem to have given up the ghost. The button appears to be at the bottom of its travel, as I cannot depress it any further, and the stem does in fact go in to the limit of its travel (and still does not bring the watch out of adjust mode). And the crown just comes right back out again. It seems probable that whatever spring / lever is supposed to push the button and its associated connecting bits back up has gone. I wasn't inclined to mess with it any further.

The watch is about 2 years old, in fact I bought it from jmryshi (who I see is a member of this board). Got a fair price and it was in pristine condition. It's never been significantly smacked or otherwise abused that I can think of. I guess it'll have to go in for service when I get back.

I don't suppose you have a lead on an AD who will do repairs at less than exorbitant rates? Tourneau is the only one I can think of in Las Vegas where I'm stationed and I suspect their service rates are spendy. Does the "forum AD" do repairs?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
You are the bomb (so to speak). I gave that a try, and something internally does seem to have given up the ghost. The button appears to be at the bottom of its travel, as I cannot depress it any further, and the stem does in fact go in to the limit of its travel (and still does not bring the watch out of adjust mode). And the crown just comes right back out again. It seems probable that whatever spring / lever is supposed to push the button and its associated connecting bits back up has gone. I wasn't inclined to mess with it any further.

The watch is about 2 years old, in fact I bought it from jmryshi (who I see is a member of this board). Got a fair price and it was in pristine condition. It's never been significantly smacked or otherwise abused that I can think of. I guess it'll have to go in for service when I get back.

I don't suppose you have a lead on an AD who will do repairs at less than exorbitant rates? Tourneau is the only one I can think of in Las Vegas where I'm stationed and I suspect their service rates are spendy. Does the "forum AD" do repairs?

No worries;-)

You can check the price of this repair on the Omega website. As to an AD near you, sorry mate I'm quite a distance from Nevada! The forum AD (whose details I don't have, pm eptaz for the info'.) may be able to help regarding a service.

All the best,

NOTE
I've just remembered that the battery life of the X-33 is 24-36 months, depending on use. I'm not suggesting the battery in your's needs changing, only that, it is (the watch) within its service period - and you have given it heavy use (I assume). The repairs on the watch could stretch to a new module.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Greetings. Though the Tourneaus must vary some, store to store, I would avoid them like the plague. What you'll want is to locate is a qualified watchmaker or consider sending it to the Omega NJ service center. Others here likely have experience with a watchmaker they would trust and will weigh in in time. Godspeed and stay safe.

Bradley

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I've used the service center in San Fancisco on Post Street before with satisfaction.

Give them a ring to see if they can help.

Here are contact details:

Omega Service Center210 Post St # 802
San Francisco, CA 94108

(415) 433-2874‎

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a 1st Gen X-33 in at the NJ service center for the exact same thing.

Actually, I had originally dropped it off at the PA authorized service center, and when I called for status, they told me that they had to send all of the X-33's back up the NJ for repair.

I'm still waiting for it. Latest estimate is first half of June. (Dropped it off in March).

You pretty much have to do the full service. In the $300 something range.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Doh!

Added to the article: The apparent cause in many cases seems to be a failed crown release detent which typically can't be repaired at the user level.

Updated Omega X-33 Article

Saddened to hear of this occurring on a Gen 2 (?) X-33, especially one downrange under real-world conditions.

I don't think there's much you can do save send it off for authorized service and hope the CBP from the BX (it still strains me to keep from calling it 'PX') serves you well in the meantime.

Good luck,
-r

1 - 12 of 12 Posts