WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am a new member on this forum having join just recently (but lurking for some time) and I found that many posts have allot of abbreviations I don't understand. Things like AR, AD, WIS, WUS, WTB and so on make me very :-s... There were some threads were I didn't have a clue of what was going on because of those things... :( Can somebody post a list of the most common abbreviations used?
Excuse my noobishness and if this things are already explained somewhere else please point me in the right direction.
Cheers!

Dan

·
Registered
24 Posts
My understanding of these abbreviations :
AR - Anti Reflective / Reflection
AD - Authorised Dealer
WUS - WatchUSeek?
WTB - Want to Buy
WTS - Want to Sell
WTT - Want to Trade

PS : Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
TTT- to the top
SPF- sold pending funds
WIS- watch idiot savant
MM- marina militare

I'm sure there are more. Those are just the ones I stumbled with when I first joined.

·
Registered
221 Posts
AD - Authorized Dealer
ALS - A. Lange & Sohne
AP - Audemars Piguet
APRO - Audmars Piguet Royal Oak
B&M - Baume & Mercier
COSC - Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres, the Official Swiss Chronometer Testing Institute
DS - Deep Sea
DSSD - Deep Sea SeaDweller
EP - El Primero
FF - Fifty Fathoms
GO - Glashutte Original
GP - Girard Perregaux
GS - Grand Seiko
JLC - Jaeger LeCoultre
PO - Planet Ocean
PP - Patek Philippe
RM - Richard Mille
RW - Raymond Weil
SMP - Seamaster Pro
Sub - Submariner
SS - Stainless Steel
VC - Vacheron Constantin
WR - Water Resistant

Some abbreviations are more used in specific sub-fora, I think. Therefore, there are probably lots of abbreviations I don´t know of since I don´t visit every sub-fora.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
HAGWE - Have A Great Week-end Everyone
APROO - Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore
ETA - ETA SA Manufacture Horlogère Suisse (movement manufacturer)

cheers,
Jake.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
WTF = What The Fiddle? (English expression)

PAM = kind of short for Panerai. Panerai uses this with a number to distinguish the different models.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Mods,

Would it be possible to get a sticky on this thread?? I am sure many new members have the same exact questions as to what these abbreviations mean. I know I did.

Thank you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mods,

Would it be possible to get a sticky on this thread?? I am sure many new members have the same exact questions as to what these abbreviations mean. I know I did.

Thank you.
It would be quite an honor if my second thread becomes a sticky. I wanted to suggest that, but I didn't dare to request such a thing with only 9 posts.
Thank you all for answering and keep them coming!

Regards, Dan

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
LM = Liquid Metal.
BPH = Beats per hour.
TPD = Turns per day.

·
Registered
629 Posts
SOTC - State of the collection
WRUW - What are you wearing?
GMT - (Greenwich Mean Time) A movement complication which enables tracking of a second time zone
PVD - (Physical Vapor Deposition) Type of coating applied to metal cases, bracelets, etc to make them black

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Mods,

Thank you.
We'd prefer to minimize stickies if we can. Don't use acronyms/abbreviations/texting shorthand and the problem is solved.

·
Registered
800 Posts
We'd prefer to minimize stickies if we can. Don't use acronyms/abbreviations/texting shorthand and the problem is solved.
Gotcha. I don't the the texting/ shorthand trend is going to stop, though. It will probably get worse as technology advances.
lol. (laugh out loud)
(;

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
GMT - (Greenwich Mean Time) A movement complication which enables tracking of a second time zone
GMT is purely how time is shown, for example in the UK now is is 1640 GMT. I think the movement complication you are after is UTC (Coordinated Universal Time).

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
FSOT = For sale or trade.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very helpful to understand everyone's "shorthand" lingo as I source timepieces across various platforms. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I'm enjoying these thread resuscitations, it's like a time machine. A snippet of a +10-year old WUS and its users.

I'd say "carry on" with the megabumps but I know I don't have to. They'll surely keep coming.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
On the sale forum you will find the acronym “bump” - bring up my post —> as in bring the post to page 1 of sales page

TBH - to be honest
IDK - I don’t know

1 - 20 of 28 Posts