WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

About BLU: Bernhard Lederer Universe
Ordinary watches have never appealed to me”, says BLU founder, Bernhard Lederer, who already in his apprenticeship days loved to work on extraordinary and complicated timepieces. He studied the art of watchmaking of past masters and then developed his own style. Today with BLU, Bernhard Lederer has made a name for himself with a highly original collection of stunning watch designs and audacious interpretations of displaying time.

Founded in 2000, BLU SA is an integrated watchmaking manufacture specializing in exclusive haute horlogerie with a difference. BLU’s timepieces offer more than simple displays of hours and minutes ― BLU encompasses the best in traditional fine watchmaking while developing creative technical solutions to offer new ways of conveying time.

“I have gone beyond the stage of illustrating the technique of watchmaking, of making complications for the sake of making complications. When I design a watch, I do not think in terms of technical expertise. I always try to go to the very depth of its origins, going where no one has gone before. The new idea should provoke my curiosity and give my creative instinct a challenge. Even among complications, simplicity is key”Bernhard Lederer.

In addition to his vision, Lederer stresses the importance of craftsmanship, which is why BLU craft the majority of their components in their comprehensively equipped production facility adjacent to their watchmaking atelier in Colombier, on Lake Neuchâtel in Switzerland. After the components are superbly finished, all BLU watches are assembled, adjusted and test by one watchmaker at their atelier.

BLU makes watches that indicate the time, but not in a blatantly obvious way. Their timepieces usually display time using rotating, or orbiting disks, reminiscent of the orbits of the sun and the planets. If the watch does have a hand or hands they are discreet.

BLU’s timepieces are noted for their serenity and elegant ingenuity; a reaction against the gadgetry and superfluous mechanics of traditional complicated watches.

You can look at a BLU timepiece and relax and enjoy its design and functionality without having the time intrude. Of course, if you do want to know the time, it is there, but it doesn’t yell at you - it whispers.

“Mechanisms and aesthetics are very closely linked. In fact, I would say they are totally inseparable in my watches“, Lederer says. “Both elements are vital from the outset of a new concept or watch design, and are the key ingredients to finding new, fascinating and inventive ways of displaying the continuous flow of time.”

― Bernhard Lederer.

Related links:
About_BLU (contains all the models, pdf 8.17 Mb)
www.blu.ch

Attachments

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I really like the BLU product line. Very innovative design. Not traditional so I would understand if many collectors might not like them. I veiw them more as representative of a design school and not just a simple fashion statement. This same principle is why I like Asymmetrical watches as well which al falls into the fact that deep down I am an unrepentant non-conformist.

Last year I was so close to getting a BLU Paris. It was between the BLU and a Silberstein Rondo GMT. This was to be my 10 year anniversary gift from my partner. It ended up being a battle of the design schools--Kandinsky Bauhaus vs. Minimalist Modern. I've always had a soft spot for Bauhaus so, it won at that moment. But I still long for that BLU Paris.

I did actually win twice because my partner got a set of Henckels Twin Select knives, a Gerald Genta Bi-retro, and a trip to Palm Springs. He cooks for me and I got to go on the trip too. Maybe I should have bought him the BLU Paris though and we could have "shared" it... :-d

I am sure I couldn't afford it, but their Tourbillon MT3 knocks my socks off!

WOOF! Bow wow!!

-T

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. First I need to apology for my English language, I'm french (nobody's perfect...). I'm almost a newbie in watchmaking and i'm looking for Knowledge.
I will plan to rebuilt one Lederer Watch (or two...). I found some parts in Geneva second hand market, but it will be helpfull for me to have information regarding the movement design, mainly the complication that turns the dial (ETA 2892.A2 based).
I speak about this one :
9e1cc6ad9d62f386b776076da8d3be1d.jpg
and this one:
ahci_image.487831.jpg
I saw that there was a link to a Lederer document in this post, but it's not working anymore. it's it possible to reactivate it?
I thank you in advance for your help and for your advice. I will continue to dig the web to find information, but this dead brand (since 2012, I suppose) did not leave too many traces ...
Best regards

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hello. First I need to apology for my English language, I'm french (nobody's perfect...). I'm almost a newbie in watchmaking and i'm looking for Knowledge.
I will plan to rebuilt one Lederer Watch (or two...). I found some parts in Geneva second hand market, but it will be helpfull for me to have information regarding the movement design, mainly the complication that turns the dial (ETA 2892.A2 based).
I speak about this one :
View attachment 10958722
and this one:
View attachment 10958738
I saw that there was a link to a Lederer document in this post, but it's not working anymore. it's it possible to reactivate it?
I thank you in advance for your help and for your advice. I will continue to dig the web to find information, but this dead brand (since 2012, I suppose) did not leave too many traces ...
Best regards

Great looking watch. Welcome to this merry band of fine people from all over the planet.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I speak about this one :

and this one:

Best regards
I've posted on the topic of BLU watches here:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f67/bernhard-lederer-universe-blu-planet-paris-39-mm-review-4175674.html

You could maybe use the contact information there to get in touch with Mr. Lederer or a member of his staff. You might also get some insights from images of the Planet Open model.

ml_image.762476.jpg

e1200b7fff952dff96453e7149d85ec4.jpg

Bonne chance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello
Thank you for your post and your review extremely accurate.
I think you can read into my mind.... if fact I finished my "Paris"
20170222_220808.jpg

20170329_140937.jpg
It's almost the same as yours.... except the minutes hand... I didn't find the right silver color, not yet... so I placed a blue one....
I'm working on the pink one, but find parts for this mechanism it's really hard... especially when you don't understand how it's managed inside...
My evening job is to check all my parts and imagine how the can fit together...
My new project is the Open Planet.... the one you show above (strange isn't it?...). I now that i have not the right parts yet, some of them only.
I'm in contact a with one of the old staff of BLU (very nice man, young and motivated), but even with from the watchmaker, I have no answer, the knowledge and plan are disappeared....
So I will dig again into my parts...
I thank you again for your comments and your help.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Congratulations on the result of your project! The blue dial with blue hand looks good. The blue version of the Planet Paris really brings out the depth of the dial. I never expected something somebody to post te same model as mine, but I'm glad to see that your are a fellow enthusiast!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts