WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought a new "командирские", which states "chrome-plated case".

Till now I am using only solid-SS cases (Orient) and I am wondering how durable will be the new watch. Should I take special care of it and can I count to keep the good look for let's say 10-15 years? Any practical experience?

P.S. Seems I will evaluate the 2416B movement on cheap "командирские" and eventually go for this exceptionally elegant model if I like it :)

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As much as possible protect it from your sweat.Sweat is corrosive to chrome plating.
Good, it is about 3 weeks after I start to wear this Vostok (chrome plated 2416B Komandirskie). I clean it every day from sweat but the cover on the edge just next to SS back starts to fall down (it's quite tiny, but visible). Isn't it too early for this, just 3 weeks?
Too bad, the watch is nice and the movement is giving very good precision :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
The movement is very good. But unfortunatelly chrome plating is very thin. Sometimes it falls down after a few weeks or months.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This Boctok is not a very expensive watch. My friend had a model of vostok europe. Vostok europe is not very cheap watch. It was gold plated. This plating began to fall down after two months. My friend had to change the case.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As I can see on the picture, the strap is the kind of very cheap type that is often given with a Vostok watch.
Maybe you will like to change it for something that fits better the watch style.

So ... Why not choose a strap which will protect the watch case from the sweat ?
For example, a NATO strap passes behind the watch case, and protects it from the sweat.

You can also choose a leather strap like this one :

that may fit better the watch style.

PS : If I used pictures from this site, this is because I thought about them as I purchased straps recently, but of course, similar straps canbe found easily, e.g. on ebay.
An even more protecting solution could be the bund-strap. The watch is completely separated from the wrist by a leather pad.
It looks nice, but doesn't fit all the tastes, and it make the watch bigger on the wrist.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I never liked the Nato straps, but the bund leather are quite protective and I prefer them. I agree they can look bigger on the wrist but the fit is better for the watch, but thats only my opinions. Your photo jean-luc of the white 24 hour raketa with light brown bund strap is very appealing and attractive.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for the answers. Seems that I should try to buy Амфибия case with the same size as mine Командирские (there is such and it is stainless-steel) and to replace it. But strange - even on the warranty Vostok state 1 year full warranty including the plating, how they survive if they chrome falls so fast :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts