WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm wondering whether the certificate coming with the watch includes the the data of the measurements or is it just a certificate telling the movement passed the test?

Sorry if this has been discussed previously, my attempts in searching resulted in lots of talk about possible differences between COSC and non COSC, but not this point.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why? :think:
Sad, I know, but I am a kind of person who would wonder about the actual movement performance. COSC standard leaves a lot of room for variation. Having the numbers of the test would free me from wondering and possibly attempting some really amateurish tests of my own :roll:.

Of course I know keeping the watch in a randomly moving hand makes real life performance differ from test results, but still.

·
Registered
310 Posts
And probably you could also be tempted to verify the COSC results... b-)
But what yould you do when realizing that a certified movement alone and an assembled watch are two things? ;-)
That's why most of the companies don't deliver the COSC paperwork.

All I can advice is to browse through the previous disussions on that topic - you can order the upgrade but actually you can also be very fine without it....

·
Registered
210 Posts
I went with the COSC upgrade, but only because the movement has a better finish. The standard movement doesn't have any decoration.

That's really the only reason to go for the upgrade, in my opinion, as all of the reports on here about the non-COSC watches say they keep excellent time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I do agree with Matt2006 - I had a fantastic chance to get Flieger LE 80th Stowa Aniversary with COSC and I have to admit that the movement looks great with decoration. If additional cost is not a problem I would definitely go for COSC movement. What is strange to me I haven't found information about better finish on STOWA website - I think that to some customers it would be more valuable than sole COSC certificate information.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I just asked Viveca if the COSC upgrade was a physically different movement... does anyone have any pics of the two, or at least of the COSC upgrade. I'm going to order the new B-uhr and I'm probably going to go with the upgrade... thanks!

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,673 Posts
I just asked Viveca if the COSC upgrade was a physically different movement... does anyone have any pics of the two, or at least of the COSC upgrade. I'm going to order the new B-uhr and I'm probably going to go with the upgrade... thanks!
One of my standard answers:

The ingredients make the difference:

Standard and Elabore:

Mainspring - Nivaflex NO
Shock protection - Etachocs
Pallet stones - Polyrubies, Epilame-coated
Balance - Nickel gilt
Balance staff - Epilame coated
Collet - Nivatronic
Hairspring - Nivarox 2
Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable

Top and Chronometre:

Mainspring - NivaflexNM
Shock protection - Incabloc
Pallet stones - Red rubies, Epilame-coated
Balance - Glucydur gilt
Balance staff - Epilame coated
Collet - Nivatronic
Hairspring - Anachron
Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable

The performance differences are the big differences between the various grades: ("The limit values are subject to interpretation: 95% of the pieces delivered in a lot must be within the specified limits.")

Standard:
2 positions (CH, 6H)
daily rate: +/-12 sec/day
Maximum positional variation: 30 sec
Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 20 sec

Elabore:
3 positions (CH, 6H, 9H)
daily rate: +/-7 sec/day
Maximum positional variation: 20 sec
Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 15 sec

Top:
5 positions (CH, FH, 6H, 9H, 3H)
daily rate: +/-4 sec/day
Maximum positional variation: 15 sec
Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 10 sec

Chronometre:
As per COSC specifications, which as far as most owners will notice, isn't much different from Top grade.

There are variations in the finish that will come with the movement, the Top and Chronometre come with snailed rotors, and elabore is a little better decorated that standard. But, even standard grades can be gold plated or even decorated.”

·
Registered
2,340 Posts

Here you have them both in one pic:

Volker ;-)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Standard and Elabore:

Pallet stones - Polyrubies, Epilame-coated

Top and Chronometre:

Pallet stones - Red rubies, Epilame-coated

What is a poly ruby compared to a red ruby? They're all man made rubies, but what is the difference between the COSC model and the standard model?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts