WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that IWC watches were won by ****s during WWII?

Is it true that Panerai was worn by Italian Navy during WWII?

I ask this here on our DOXA Forum because you guys are all very knowledgable and helpful even if we aren't discussing DOXA.

Does DOXA have any WWII history?

:thanks

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Greg,
I don't know about IWC being worn by ****s during WWII, I'm not a real mil watch fanatic. But I bet you could get the answer from some of the fellows on the MWR (Military Watch Resource) Forum
http://www.mwrforum.net/cgi-bin/mwr.pl

As to Panerai, they were originally built for and used exclusively by the Italian Navy. Panerai was a manufacturer of watches, precision instruments ,compasses,optical gunsights, signal lamps etc. They only sold to the Italian government. They did not go commercial until much later.

In the beginning, the company, "Orologeria Svizzera" was an importer of Swiss Watches, which it sold along with jewelry. They did watch repairs and started the first watchmakers school in Florence. They had a long and sucessful relationship with Rolex. In fact the original Panerai watches all had Rolex movements. The first Panerai to be sold to the Italian Navy was the "Radiomir" which was tested in 1935 and was first sold under contract in 1938. These first watches used cases and movements supplied by Rolex. Panerai continued throughout WWII and later to supply military watches to the Italian navy as well as contracts with other countries.
Panerai began commercial production in 1993 with a small run of numbered limited edition models for the commercial market.They began to obtain "Cult" status with the introduction of the Slytech watches which were inspired by Sylvester Stallone. The company was purchased by the Vendrome Luxury group in 1997, and with much more funds available to spend on advertising and new models, Panerai has been able to achieve tremendous success in the watch marketplace.

All of this information is from Panerai Historia - From the Depths of the Sea by Giampiero Negretti

Hope this helps.
Arthur

·
Registered
558 Posts
Is it true that IWC watches were won by ****s during WWII?

Is it true that Panerai was worn by Italian Navy during WWII?

I ask this here on our DOXA Forum because you guys are all very knowledgable and helpful even if we aren't discussing DOXA.

Does DOXA have any WWII history?

:thanks
Yes definitly for both

IWC have been the suppier of Luftwaffe during WWII (but stangly inough also a supplier of the RAF)
and yes definitly Panerai watches have been developped for the Decima Mas : the combat Frogmen of the Italian Navy during WWII

cheers
JM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts