·
Registered
2,616 Posts
What about "MM"...is that still ok?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry to announce to you that we at Watchuseek no longer allow the use of "Marina Militare" other than related to the real Panerai product.

Here's why: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/madrid?madridnum=M850768

Hope you will understand.

I don't understand. So the term is UK trade mark. So are a bunch of other band names but their use is allowed here, is it not? I can understand not wanting them for sale here but what's the reasoning behind not evening typing the words? Should I not type Rolex, McDonalds, Toyota, or any other Trademarks?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I don't understand. So the term is UK trade mark. So are a bunch of other band names but their use is allowed here, is it not? I can understand not wanting them for sale here but what's the reasoning behind not evening typing the words? Should I not type Rolex, McDonalds, Toyota, or any other Trademarks?
You can say Rolex as long as you are not talking about a fake. But if the word Marina Militare is trademarked by Panerai then it makes non-Panerai MM's kind of like replicas and hence we can't talk about them.

That is the way I read it. I assume that would include the posting of pics then as well? If so, this section will have a LOT fewer posts....

·
Registered
181 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is saying the words can't be typed. In fact Ernie says "other than related to the real Panerai product", meaning if you have a genuine MM, feel free to discuss it. He is saying don't come here to sell or seek advice/information a non-Panerai manufactured MM homage...any more than you should come here seeking advice on a $100 fake Rolex.

What isn't mentioned though, are watches that mimic the crown guard system of the Panerai, as that design is also trademarked.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Like JohnG said sterile is the way to go or even painted dials is another way also, just dont use the name. Im wondering if the G-man will get smashed too because of all the publicity and funds that is coming his way makes a dealer wonder how much money he's loosing ;-)

·
Registered
634 Posts
TZ-UK banned the selling of them in its sales corner, discussing them is a mute point, if Richmont has won a legal case against sellers then defacto they are replicas. I guess discussing them favourably is akin to legitimizing them, maybe this is Ernies thinking....

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correct, no more discussions about the non genuine MM and no more pictures showing the non genuine MM. I'm taking the Richemont Group very seriously and support and respect their products and trademarks.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Correct, no more discussions about the non genuine MM and no more pictures showing the non genuine MM. I'm taking the Richemont Group very seriously and support and respect their products and trademarks.
Good decsision and something we all have to respect. Can't really say I'm suprised either about this coming and it's definately not worth messing with Panerai ;-)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Re: About ...... ........ posts

Okay..

But sterile and painted dial PAM homages are still safe, right?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts

I'll respect Ernie's wishes, but I do have to ask: was there a cease & desist letter or other threat from Richemont that caused this sudden change of heart by the WUS management? Or is it a choice made on its own? The trademarks have been known and discussed on WUS for years now, so it's hardly new information. WUS had the simplicity of the "if the brand name is not on there, it's not a replica" stance, something I was quite fond of. It made it possible to discuss watches here that would otherwise erupt in the usual flamewars about the legalities of homages. So I find this sudden 180 a bit surprising, and disheartening as I wonder what will be banned next...

I don't understand. So the term is UK trade mark.
It's not. That's an international trademark, applicable in all countries that agreed to the Madrid protocol.

Okay.. But sterile and painted dial PAM homages are still safe, right?
Actually, if we're suddenly going to respect the MM trademark, there's one on the Panerai crown guard too. I suppose we'll see the Luminor cases banned from the forum next.

·
Registered
563 Posts
This is ridiculous. Between the avid Seiko/orient/etc. over recommendation (Seiko/orient specifically NOT wanted? that's OK, lets recommend Seiko anyhow! :rolleyes) and now sanctioning which homages can and cannot be discussed (is alpha next? you know, with the "explorer, and the submariner, etc.. probably not because they PAY to advertise here, huh?) you may as well shut this section down and redirect everyone to the Seiko/citizen section :rolleyes: I am sure this post will be removed, and I may even be sent on a vacation, but I am not so sure it much matters anymore, the forum gets more and more closed minded and therefor useless every week sadly.

In any event, it is your forum to run as you see fit.

Also- I am ASSUMING (and do please correct me if wrong!) That non branded (sterile, painted dial/etc) luminor cases will NOT be allowed to be shown, or talked about, due to the crown gaurd being protected, correct? Better enforce all the rules....

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
well I better change my signature haha!

I can't wait until Panerai trademarks the word "watch" so we can all bow down to them...

·
Registered
3,023 Posts

Also- I am ASSUMING (and do please correct me if wrong!) That non branded (sterile, painted dial/etc) luminor cases will NOT be allowed to be shown, or talked about, due to the crown gaurd being protected, correct? Better enforce all the rules....
Don't be petty you guys. The original post means what it says, nothing more. If you want to ruin things completely, then yeah, keep harping on the crown guards too, I am sure admin will oblige you. :roll:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.