Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Re: About ...... ........ posts

well I better change my signature haha!
I did that the moment I saw the Scooby-Doo joke ;-)

·
Registered
2,616 Posts

So I just looked up the term..."MM" and this is what wikipedia states:

"...... ........ (the Italian Navy) is one of the four branches of the military forces of Italy. It was formed in 1946, as the Navy of the Italian Republic, from what remained of the Regia ...... and now is considered among the five major navies in the world."

I am NOT talking about the watch...I am talking about the Navy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/......_........

So let me get this straight RICHemont Group...TRADEMARKED a BRANCH of the Italian navy?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts

I did that the moment I saw the Scooby-Doo joke ;-)
I just changed mine to that too...it would be awesome if that became the new nickname...:-d

·
Registered
3,815 Posts

So let me get this straight RICHemont Group...TRADEMARKED a BRANCH of the Italian navy?
It's a bit more specific: they trademarked the use of their name for watches, and some other varieties of jewelry (see the Madrid TM for specifics).
I interned at a brandname creation company and learned a bit about the whole trademark process there, and I'm quite surprised that they managed to get this put through without the Italian TM offices slapping them down. I was taught that you can't trademark regular words to abuse a power position - I can't trademark 'post-office' and then sue you whenever you use it. As far as I can see, 'navy' in Italian is a regular word. But yeah, who's going to put up a fight against Richemont about it?
For some more amusement, you should check out an old thread about this whole situation on WUS. There's also the crown guard thing, which appears to be a creative loophole used to turn the patent for an original invention into a trademark after the patent expired, so they could keep protecting it.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts

It's a bit more specific: they trademarked the use of their name for watches, and some other varieties of jewelry (see the Madrid TM for specifics).
I interned at a brandname creation company and learned a bit about the whole trademark process there, and I'm quite surprised that they managed to get this put through without the Italian TM offices slapping them down. I was taught that you can't trademark regular words to abuse a power position - I can't trademark 'post-office' and then sue you whenever you use it. As far as I can see, 'navy' in Italian is a regular word. But yeah, who's going to put up a fight against Richemont about it?
For some more amusement, you should check out an old thread about this whole situation on WUS. There's also the crown guard thing, which appears to be a creative loophole used to turn the patent for an original invention into a trademark after the patent expired, so they could keep protecting it.
Interesting...thx!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

What about Scooby-Doos that have dial/hand combos that resemble nothing in Panerai's catalog? Like most of my "Air Scooby" projects with generic aviator dials.

What about my BR-0mages? Can we call them Barney Rubbles?

I'm going to :-!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I checked my sig and the MM words were taken out so I replaced the the dots with Scooby-doo too lol

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Thanks John. People need to understand that we have to and need to respect trademarks. I'll close this thread now, enough said.

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts

Guys, to reiterate, pics of MM branded watches will be removed when found. Rather than go through the trouble of posting those pics and then having them removed, either alter them so the brand is removed from the picture or just describe it.

Don't post pics of MM branded watches, unless of course they are genuine Panerai's.

Thanks,
Zippofan
Affordables Forum Co-Moderator

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.