WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. So recently I got a parnis GMT Master II homage. I got it with the intention to mod it, although I'm a bit nervous since I've never modded a watch before, plus it is my most expensive watch oddly. I have nicer watches, but got better deals I suppose. Anyway, I want to change the hands to sword hands, and paint the GMT hand, and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the best way to go about this. I've done a fair bit of reading and it seems before removing the hands I should have them all at 12 just before the date changes, the problem is the watch uses a DG3804 movement and the hacking is iffy, sometimes it does hack, sometimes it doesn't, other times, it does but if I touch the crown at all the second hand starts again. So how would I go about removing the seconds hand? Wait til the watch runs down and remove it from there? Can I still remove it the whole hand stack at once? Also for painting the GMT hand, its currently green, but I want to paint it blue, what paint can/should I use? I've read about using various model paints, also should I prep the hand in any way or can I just paint over it? Below is a picture of the watch in question.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The second half of this video shows you how to manually "let down" the mainspring of a mechanical wristwatch. Be gentle!
How I let down a mainspring of a pocket watch and wrist watch - YouTube

In the past year, I've used Testor's model paint on second hands, and they have lasted.

As for removing the hands, I'll let a more expert member answer in more detail. For me, I've removed them non-simultaneously on other watches, and have been able to reinstall them fine.

When you do reinstall the hands be mindful about when you want the date to change. That will affect the direction you install the hour hand. My first time, I totally forgot about this, and my date was changing mid-day.

Reactions: woodt3

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm... not sure if I'm ready for that, I may just wait for it wind down :p I'd have a watchmaker swap hands except for the fact I want to paint the GMT hand.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
What tools do you have? I've found that the cheap ($5) ebay hand pullers work well enough. However, you really need to protect the dial from them. For installing hands, I've found tweezers to be really good for positioning the hands. I like nylon ones for stuff like this, as they are less likely to scratch the dial or chip the chrome/paint on the hands.

·
Registered
656 Posts
What tools do you have? I've found that the cheap ($5) ebay hand pullers work well enough. However, you really need to protect the dial from them. For installing hands, I've found tweezers to be really good for positioning the hands. I like nylon ones for stuff like this, as they are less likely to scratch the dial or chip the chrome/paint on the hands.
If you have a soft touch, a pair of nail clippers also works surprisingly well as a hand puller. Do not ask how I figured that out! :p :D

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
In my very limited modding experience, I just let my auto's wind themselves down after having removed the movement, then set the other hands to where the seconds hand is. They don't need to be exact, just pretty close. And you can move the seconds hand a bit with tweezers or a screwdriver.

I use the tools in the kit put together by Jake @ 10watches.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my very limited modding experience, I just let my auto's wind themselves down after having removed the movement, then set the other hands to where the seconds hand is. They don't need to be exact, just pretty close. And you can move the seconds hand a bit with tweezers or a screwdriver.

I use the tools in the kit put together by Jake @ 10watches.
Why would I set the other hands to where the second hand is and not where they were when I removed them? Wouldn't the second hand go on last?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Hey mate,

My advice would be to let the watch wind down on it's own if you are not comfortable with letting it down manually.

I'd also recommend using one of these style hand remover tools as they give you much greater control than the other cheaper versions (still cheap though, they run about $10 on ebay).

TL14.jpg

Be very careful when removing the hands, dials scratch really easily - I'd recommend using a dial protector.

When setting the hands, my tip is to use a toothpick with some rodico on the end to pick up and hold the hand in position with one hand and use an appropriately sized hand setting tool to press it into place with your other hand. With those small auto hands it is handy to use some form of magnification as well whilst doing so.

Avoid using tweezers on hands - they scratch the metal and paint very easily and you might end up bending them (talking from my experiences when I first started out).

Source - I build about 5 watches per week for my business :)

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the style I have, is this ok? This mod may get put off. The dial currently has white lume that glows green, and I can't find any sword hands that match that, it seems raffles is the only source for sword hands for a DG3804, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable reluming.
SKU014345_2.jpg

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
This is the style I have, is this ok? This mod may get put off. The dial currently has white lume that glows green, and I can't find any sword hands that match that, it seems raffles is the only source for sword hands for a DG3804, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable reluming.
If you feel comfortable using them then go ahead - in my experience the one I had like that I found hard to use and it fell apart really quickly.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Seems like hands for the DG2813 will also fit the DG3804, according to specs at this site:
Chinese Automatic DG3804B Mechanical Movement
Chinese Automatic DG2813 Mechanical Movement

And since the DG2813 is a Miyota 8215 clone, the hands for those could work, according to specs at Ofrei:
Miyota Mechanical Watch Movements

Can someone more experienced in modding these DG movements confirm?

Motor City WatchWorks has Miyota sword hands with C1 lume:
MotorCity WatchWorks | Hands for Miyota

Maybe call or msg them to see if those could work with your movement.

And make sure the lengths work for your watch.

Oh, your hands remover looks find. Be sure to protect your dial while using it.

Reactions: woodt3

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
DG2813 hands will fit a DG3804. I just bought a set and it works perfectly. I can't speak as to DG hands fitting a Miyota 8215. I thought I had read they didn't match.

I don't use hand pullers. I use two very small screw drivers that I have sanded and smoothed. Light pressure in an upward motion and they pop right off. I use the open side of the inside of a ball point pen (the open end opposite the writing side). Its the part that you pull out which holds the ink. I use a sticky note which incur a slit in to protect the dial. Don't actually stick it to the dial. Just slide it under the hands. You could say I use the poor mans tools.

You should go to a thrift store and buy a couple cheapo watches. Practice removing and setting the hands. Don't make your first try on you're most expensive watch.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Where did you purchase that blue and black bezel? I've been trying to find one of those online for quite a while with no luck.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems like hands for the DG2813 will also fit the DG3804, according to specs at this site:
Chinese Automatic DG3804B Mechanical Movement
Chinese Automatic DG2813 Mechanical Movement

And since the DG2813 is a Miyota 8215 clone, the hands for those could work, according to specs at Ofrei:
Miyota Mechanical Watch Movements

Can someone more experienced in modding these DG movements confirm?

Motor City WatchWorks has Miyota sword hands with C1 lume:
MotorCity WatchWorks | Hands for Miyota

Maybe call or msg them to see if those could work with your movement.

And make sure the lengths work for your watch.

Oh, your hands remover looks find. Be sure to protect your dial while using it.
Thanks, I knew DG2803 fit, but wasn't sure about Miyota, I'll check into it.

DG2813 hands will fit a DG3804. I just bought a set and it works perfectly. I can't speak as to DG hands fitting a Miyota 8215. I thought I had read they didn't match.

I don't use hand pullers. I use two very small screw drivers that I have sanded and smoothed. Light pressure in an upward motion and they pop right off. I use the open side of the inside of a ball point pen (the open end opposite the writing side). Its the part that you pull out which holds the ink. I use a sticky note which incur a slit in to protect the dial. Don't actually stick it to the dial. Just slide it under the hands. You could say I use the poor mans tools.

You should go to a thrift store and buy a couple cheapo watches. Practice removing and setting the hands. Don't make your first try on you're most expensive watch.

Good luck with your project.
I practiced on another broken watch I had and then put the hands back on using the method you described, as you said, I really didn't want to start my first time on this watch.

Where did you purchase that blue and black bezel? I've been trying to find one of those online for quite a while with no luck.
I got it from seller loopxaudio on ebay, no relation. I bought the whole watch but they do sell them separately, be aware though that the auction picture will show a perfect crisp line between the blue and the black, but as you can see by my watch pic, this is not the case.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I got it from seller loopxaudio on ebay, no relation. I bought the whole watch but they do sell them separately, be aware though that the auction picture will show a perfect crisp line between the blue and the black, but as you can see by my watch pic, this is not the case.
Thanks very much, and I see what you mean. I would've thought making a bezel with each color occupying an actual half wasn't too difficult...Parnis doesn't hesitate to prove me wrong.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks very much, and I see what you mean. I would've thought making a bezel with each color occupying an actual half wasn't too difficult...Parnis doesn't hesitate to prove me wrong.
Exactly. To be honest I was very dissatisfied when I received the watch, it seems unfair to me that sellers on ebay can sell things that clearly differ from the picture, and yet can get away with it. I would have to pay shipping back since the seller is international, which hardly seems fair since I expected the item in the picture, but so it goes, so I decided to keep it.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so I'm looking at watch hands, and it turns out I have no idea how to interpret watch hand sizes, I thought I got it but I guess I don't, they're listed in hour/min/second order right? Maybe someone can help me out.

Raffles DG2813 Sword hands: 8.5/12/12.5mm
Offrei DG3804: 1.00/1.50/2.00/.17
Offrei DG2813: 1.00/1.50/.17
MCW Miyota:
H: 8.5, M: 12.7, S: 12.7

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I believe the difference is simple to explain. Ofrei is listing the hole sizes for the set by order of hands: hour/minutes/seconds.
Raffles and MCW are assuming that you already know the hole sizes and is simply listing out the length in mm for each hand in the set (as you can see, the H is shortest).

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Why would I set the other hands to where the second hand is and not where they were when I removed them? Wouldn't the second hand go on last?
I was talking about prior to removal to get them all stacked up to pull all at once. When I said "set" I meant as in "set the time". You're correct in that you'll put them back in the position they were when you removed them. And the seconds hand is last. Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts