WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on lake Michigan earlier today on a friends boat. We where at least a mile from shore. I was drinking a beer, some other guys fished. It was A grand old time. The boat rocked a bit, I slipped. When I did, my left wrist struck a corner on the metal rail at which time the watch that was on that wrist hit in just such a way, with just enough force at just the right angle to break the spring bar. Then in what seemed slow motion, I watched my Rolex 116610LV slide off my wrist, take a small bounce and tumble into a estimated 300 feet of water.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh no!!
You going back for it?

We did mark the spot via GPS, however I don't know anyone who dives, and with the currents on the way down it could be anywhere in a very large radius.

As far as insurance. No. I don't think so. It was not stolen from my car, or home. And my insurance would only cover it for those 2 things. I did not have an option of loss or theft outside of personal property. And I just can't justify trying to get my buddies insurance to do anything. I don't think they would anyway. I am just going to have to mark it down as a $6500 lesson. Not sure what that lesson is yet, still kind of in shock.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Man that sucks. Sorry for your loss. At 300 feet, if you go back to get it at least it will still be waterproof.

Reactions: Kittysafe

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my SMP on a dive a few months ago (roughly the same location too). Divers were already in the water and were able to scoop it up.

Did you log the coordinates for recovery?

Edit: I see above that you did. If you have some friends who are experienced divers, it wouldn't be a stretch to go back within a few days and recover your item.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
NATO might help, but the spring bar is still the weak point. Some sport watches use double spring bars (Ball, Clerc).

I don't wear my better watches on boats. Stuff like that happens on boats. I always assume a watch can get damaged or lost on a boat. Unless its a luxury liner, but in that case I don't much like taking my better watches there either.

Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
If you go the dive shop route I suspect that the odds of the watch being recovered are greater than the odds of it being returned to you.

Comb your phonebook for friends who dive - but do it fast.

Is Rolex stainless able to be attracted to a magnet? If so you could get a large magnet and 300 feet of rope..............and some more beer. A lot more beer.

Just thought about this - 300 ft dives a not for every diver!

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Holy schmokes! Hope you get it replaced.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It would be a great story if you ever recover the watch. My hope is that you plan to replace it and will have a rewarding experience doing so.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts