WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

I'm fine when my watch is

• accurate to +/- 1 second from atomic clock time

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • accurate to a few seconds to 1 minute

Votes: 48 87.3%
  • accurate to within 2-5 minutes

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • within a few minutes (but more than 5)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used to not really know which clock or watch is accurate and had great faith in my own watch as the most accurate (as long as it isn't more than 5 minutes off from classroom clocks). :) I mean, back then, everybody's watch/clock shows a different time. So meetings take place "5" minutes after; being 5 minutes late might actually mean on-time, etc. The only time I ever set my watch to the "correct" time was when I bothered to call the phone company; most of the time I set my digital watch just once against the nearest clock after buying it.

So, you can say, my acceptable accuracy was 5 minutes or less back then.

Today, my watch syncs to WWVB every night. So, its time is always within 1 second of the atomic clock's time. But I don't need 1-second accurate in my watch for the things I do, would be comfortable using a watch that is less accurate.

But, I don't think I can go back to "within 5 minute" accuracy anymore, given all this technology and the very accurate time others have. Today, my acceptable accuracy is 1 minute.

What is yours?
To put it another way, how inaccurate does your daily wear watch has to become for you to feel uncomfortable and for you to want to set it?

(Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to change the poll to add resolution in to the 1 minute choice. I think Mike is right; that poll choice is a bad one)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'm ok with about a minute fast or less. Then again, I always set my time a minute ahead anyway. But if my watch is rated COSC, I want it running within COSC. I mean, I paid for that so I better get that kind of performance.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Might I suggest some different poll options? I think you will find that pretty much everyone will be voting "accurate to a few seconds to 1 minute"

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm ok with about a minute fast or less. Then again, I always set my time a minute ahead anyway. But if my watch is rated COSC, I want it running within COSC. I mean, I paid for that so I better get that kind of performance.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
COSC spec (from what I read on this forum) seems more to do with precision, where if you set your COSC watch a year into the future, it'll keep very inaccurate time... a year into the future.

To keep accurate time to your comfort zone, a more precise watch would require less frequent adjustments than a non-COSC watch.

Before the time when everybody carries a cell phone, many people don't actually have an accurate time at all except for folks in the computer industry where accurate NTP servers were pretty common even back in 1995 time frame.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might I suggest some different poll options? I think you will find that pretty much everyone will be voting "accurate to a few seconds to 1 minute"
While I completely agree with you that 1 minute accurate is just fine, I have a hunch that many atomic -sync watch wearers may not be happy at that level (based on the sync postings I read here).

I can't imagine anyone today would be happy wearing a watch that may be even 5 minutes from the actual time, but I'm not a very imaginative person according to my wife.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I must admit that my acceptable watch accuracy varied a bit over time.
When i had only cosc watch, i thought 4 sec a day was on the edge, of being way too off...
now i have a watch with eta 2824 beating inside of it, which is 21,6 seconds fast, every day, but even that is ok for me now.
of course i can have it regulated, but since i rarely wear single watch for more than 5-6 days, which makes it accurate to 2 minutes a day, what more do you actually need, really. ;-)
since except of the new year, literally nothing, here, starts on time :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
My comfort zone lies between 0 - +5 sec/day, but I would accept 0 - +10-15 sec/day. I would prefer though, that my watches would gain time, rather than to loose.

Cheers, Dan

·
Registered
456 Posts
My accurate autos are my rolex and I'm obsessed with that aspect of them. I told this to the ad as a condition of my purchase. Indeed, I had two watches regulated by the Rolex service dept on two separate occasions each while under warranty to get them absolutely spot on. Though they were well within cosc, Rolex obliged, and these things are now spot on. Their movements are so docile and so superbly regulated that they need a half an evening (4hrs?) each week or every second week lying on their crystals to keep them spot on,,,,spot on. Setting them via the crown is a crude business and just a gentle lie on their faces each week or two is far better and will bring it to within a tenth of a second. Something to note is that I indeed beat the snot out of these two watches during the warranty period.

When I was a kid I used to set early digital watches on the telephone to 'the "third stroke" bloke with the British accent. I remember the phone number! I have no idea how truly accurate that man was or what became of him. I would call him back every few days to check variation. Anybody remember him? High accuracy back then meant getting radio news and reports at exactly the right time, so yes I cared back then.

Couldn't care less about my vintage omegas or seikos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
291 Posts
I set all mine 5 minutes fast for work purposes, using either my computer or Citizen Atomic, so hell, whatever.

If I was paying big $$ like some of you guys are, they'd have to be pretty damn accurate. I mean thats what you're paying for, right?

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
A minute a day is OK for me but I have a fair number of vintage mechanicals.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
A minute within a week or two, as that's usually how long I can wear a watch without having to reset it due to travel anyways.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I'm fine when my watches are accurate between 0 and +2 minutes, but precise to -10/+20 s/day.

Since most of my watches have non-hacking movements, I set them within one minute ahead of the atomic clock. Then they gain or lose a little over the following days, but after two to four days it's time to rotate to the next watch anyway, so that's fine.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
I pretty much care about each individual watch even if I am rotating watches before the accuracy would bother me. I can't stand a slow watch for some reason, so anything that runs slow (even -2 spd) bothers me. If it runs fast, 10 spd or less is my comfort zone. This is all for autos obviously. All of my autos meet my expectations except my Sarb which is anywhere from 6-20 sec a day slow depending on what you're doing with it. Very annoying, but I haven't bothered to open it up and adjust it yet. On my quartz watches I prefer +/-10 sec a month; and I've never had one that didn't meet that expectation, and yeah, I DO test them for a month after I get them to see. After that, I usually reset them about once a week though just because I like to see them all roughly in sync with each other and the atomic time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
For my better autos, I want them to be within COSC specs, but I don't reset them until they're more than about 30 seconds off. Plus, I've been timing my 5513 with the Watch Tracker iPhone app ever since I got it back from service, so I reset it less often because I want to see the graph of how much time it's losing over the course of a week or so.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,037 Posts
I wear an analog watch so that I can glance down and find the approximate time. As long as the watch is running fast and within 3-4 minutes of real time that's close enough for me. Generally my watches don't get that far out because I swap them daily. On a recent 3 week trip my one watch got to where it was about 5 minutes off from the cell phone.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
It depends. For new (mechanical) watches I accept a max. +10s/ day. But, for my older vintages, I find -30 to +30s/ day to be a reasonably expectation.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Within a minute is ok, but it should remain within one minute for at least a week, so the watch rate should be within +-9 sec/day. Most of my watches perform better than this... so I'm happy with them otherwise I'd have them regulated. I had a watch that was +24 sec/day and it was unnerving...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts