WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone ever bought a watch they love so much, that all their other watches are immediately rendered obsolete?

Right now, I can't imagine ever wanting to wear anything other than my new Sinn U50T. I never expected it to dislodge my previous favourite, the Tudor Black Bay 36, but then, I never thought that would trump my Junghans max bill Chronoscope either.

Now I've been doing this watch flipping long enough to know that the rose-tinted spectacles might find themselves directed elsewhere again soon, but this is the first time ever that I've seriously thought that this watch might be it: the accidental One Watch.

Has anyone ever experienced this and acted, i.e. sold the rest? If so, what was the One Watch, and do you regret it?

Obligatory pictures:

The bracelet is great (the clasp is a little naff to be honest), but loving the para strap at the moment...

My previous number one:

And my previous, previous number one:

New kid on the block again:

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I started my collection with a Stowa Marine and thought “othing could ever displace this watch its amazing!” Then I purchased a TO2 and and hardly ever wear my Marine.

Although I would never think to sell the Marine. I don't wear it much but when I do I still love the look and feel of it.

SoI guess I would call the TO2 my accidental one watch purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Enjoy the time and feeling you have with the watch you now have. Favorite watches will come and go. Enjoy the moment! Vance.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Did you keep the previous favorites or put them on the chopping block?

I’d think you’ve a great strategy for building a good collection. You keep and maintain a small stable of favorites and previous favorites.

Or, have you found that once a new one takes the throne, you start to really dislike the previous one?

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Pretty sharp, gotta admit! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Calumets

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was actually thinking the other day that a U50 SDR T/BB36 combo could be the perfect two watch collection.

I know they’re different watches but how does the U50 compare to the black bay in terms of wearability? Drastically different? I’m increasingly a fan of smaller and thinner watches.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
No hasn’t happened to me yet. Good pick up there 👍 For me, I don’t see how that type watch could work as a “one watch” due to lack of versatility for my uses, but no doubt it’s a very robust and cool tool watch.

·
Registered
Casio F-91W
968 Posts
The BB58 would cover so much ground but I’m actively avoiding it for that very reason. It’s refreshing to have a different watch everyday.

Seiko Monster
Orient Mako II
San Martin 62MAS
Lorier Neptune S3
Baltic Aquascaphe

Until then, potentially a U50T or something from NTH. Maybe pick up another 5KX or a modded one.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Did you keep the previous favorites or put them on the chopping block?

I’d think you’ve a great strategy for building a good collection. You keep and maintain a small stable of favorites and previous favorites.

Or, have you found that once a new one takes the throne, you start to really dislike the previous one?
Keeping hold of a much smaller collection for now - I've reduced from 24 to nine, with three more set to go, leaving six I'm quite attached to... but then I got the Sinn... I think the Tudor BB36 and the Junghans stay whatever - everything else in my SOTC may soon be for the block. That would leave three I'd be very happy with. But I don't want to act too quickly and have regrets, so I'll stick to six for the foreseeable future.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was actually thinking the other day that a U50 SDR T/BB36 combo could be the perfect two watch collection.

I know they’re different watches but how does the U50 compare to the black bay in terms of wearability? Drastically different? I’m increasingly a fan of smaller and thinner watches.
I love the thin profile of the Sinn - it's amazing. The BB36 wears smaller, because it is a little thinner and quite a lot smaller in diameter - but I like 36mm, so no issue for me. I also have the Black Bay Noir (79220N ETA), which is pretty chunky (12.8mm, much slimmer than the new version at 14.9mm, but quite close to the BB58 at 11.9mm). The Sinn wears a lot smaller than that. It feels like a 40mm rather than 41mm for some reason.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts