WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found an old topic opened here:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/eternas-calibre-39-a-822174.html

But its from years back, mostly discussions about it as a concept, but not real-life experience feedback on it, as it has just been launched back then, not generally available.
I was very close to purchasing a non-Eterna watch that has this caliber inside (3914A to be more exact) last month, but being that it costs close to 2000$, which means its a high-ticket item for me, I wanted to be sure that its a reliable, serviceable movement, and came across quite a few posts, on comments under drop.com, as well as other forums, amazon, that talk about this caliber running quite erratically, even after being sent back to service several times, so right now I'm in doubt whether I should purchase a watch with such a movement inside it :-(

Does anybody have this specific Cal. 39 in their watch, and do you have any comments on it, either positive or negative?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Below is just my opinion:

I wouldn't buy a watch with the new Eterna movement right now. If you read about Eterna and its Chinese owner Citychamp, there seems to to be quite a lot of confusions regarding the future direction of Eterna. It is at Citychamp's best interest to position Eterna as a luxury brand given Eterna's history and horological achievements. However, Eterna watches are currently sold in grey market with bloody discounts. These two puzzle pieces don't fit together for me, and I am not sure where things would go. If I were you, I would hold off buying watches with Eterna's in-house movement until Citychamp figures out what they want to do with Eterna and when I have confidence that Eterna is truly behind its own manufacture calibres.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I have one of such watches, a first generation Monta Ocean king.
The time keeping functionality is great. I could be regulated without much drama to COSC rating.
My sample was delivered with too much oil. The excess migrated to the date wheel and damaged the date change mechanism. This was confirmed by my watchmaker that serviced my watch, to see if the problem could be corrected.
The problem is that on date change, the date only partially moves.
That's the issue. If you want one, get one without a date.
This is mine, wearing it today

And this is the date issue:

Background:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/dissecting-the-new-eterna-caliber-39

On Hodeenke they did a review of the Etherna 3909A and it was mentioned that the sample they got had too much oil in some places:

... Too much oil in the raw movement used in the caliber 39 review on Hodeenke and too much oil in the movement used in the Oceanking borrowed for review...

"The shimmering over the crown wheel is oil"

Some comments following this

To the possible future purchasers of Eterna calibers:

Note the intermediate wheel (above the crown wheel) and the empty space in it between it and its pivot (rugby ball shaped element) on the barrel bridge.

When Eterna designed the progenitor of the ETA 28⅔X family of calibers they had a similar design element supporting the crown wheel.

The lack of support surface area for the wheel coupled with the softer bridge material lacking a wear resistant steel ring is the same "click" design that rendered the ETA susceptible to wear from all but the most modest amounts of hand winding.

In this regard the Eterna 39 will similarly prove problematic.

There's at least four questionable issues with the Eterna calendar design.

One is identified in a previous post below with graphics.

Lubrication? Ummmm? No pics of the actual review piece (that failed) with the dial removed have been posted.
Enviado desde mi moto g(8) plus mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one of such watches, a first generation Monta Ocean king.
The time keeping functionality is great. I could be regulated without much drama to COSC rating.
My sample was delivered with too much oil. The excess migrated to the date wheel and damaged the date change mechanism. This was confirmed by my watchmaker that serviced my watch, to see if the problem could be corrected.
The problem is that on date change, the date only partially moves.
That's the issue. If you want one, get one without a date.
This is mine, wearing it today

And this is the date issue:

Background:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/dissecting-the-new-eterna-caliber-39

On Hodeenke they did a review of the Etherna 3909A and it was mentioned that the sample they got had too much oil in some places:

... Too much oil in the raw movement used in the caliber 39 review on Hodeenke and too much oil in the movement used in the Oceanking borrowed for review...

"The shimmering over the crown wheel is oil"

Some comments following this

Enviado desde mi moto g(8) plus mediante Tapatalk
Thank you very much for the valuable feedback.

If anybody else has/had such a movement in their watch, please do chip in.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Below is just my opinion:

I wouldn't buy a watch with the new Eterna movement right now. If you read about Eterna and its Chinese owner Citychamp, there seems to to be quite a lot of confusions regarding the future direction of Eterna. It is at Citychamp's best interest to position Eterna as a luxury brand given Eterna's history and horological achievements. However, Eterna watches are currently sold in grey market with bloody discounts. These two puzzle pieces don't fit together for me, and I am not sure where things would go. If I were you, I would hold off buying watches with Eterna's in-house movement until Citychamp figures out what they want to do with Eterna and when I have confidence that Eterna is truly behind its own manufacture calibres.
The discounts on brand new in the box Eterna's from the Ebay sellers and Ashford/Jomashop etc are going to eventually damage any brand equity. A few months ago, they had brand new big date Granges models for $1,000 USD on the discount sites.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I have bought five Eternas and still have four. They are all excellent watches purchased at a discount, similar to discounts I have received on watches from brands such Ball, Oris, Rado, Alpina, UN and others. Eterna is not alone when it comes to heavily discounted brands on the GM.

One of the Eternas I have, a Legacy 1948, has the 3903a spherodrive in it. I had it serviced for $250 by my watchmaker and it has been running dead on since, about two years. I have no complaints.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The discounts on brand new in the box Eterna's from the Ebay sellers and Ashford/Jomashop etc are going to eventually damage any brand equity. A few months ago, they had brand new big date Granges models for $1,000 USD on the discount sites.
Actually, it was as low 699-749$ (for few color versions included the handsome blue dial one) during Black Friday sale on Ashford, almost pulled the trigger but I know it will wear way too big on my wrist so decided not to. Even now you can bag one for $849, such as HERE

What I was after buying is a Ultramarine Morse GMT, which has the same type of Eterna 39 caliber GMT movt. The discount is not as deep as some of these US retailers but pretty good for Europe (even if buying from US at these deep discounts, by the time us folk in Europe have to pay for pricey shipping, then hefty VAT (20-25%) and some handling fees on top of that, it ends up adding another 30-50% on the price of a watch, in most cases bringing closer to the prices we can find from European sellers which are preferred anyway due to possible warranty issues.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Actually, it was as low 699-749$ (for few color versions included the handsome blue dial one) during Black Friday sale on Ashford, almost pulled the trigger but I know it will wear way too big on my wrist so decided not to. Even now you can bag one for $849, such as HERE

What I was after buying is a Ultramarine Morse GMT, which has the same type of Eterna 39 caliber GMT movt. The discount is not as deep as some of these US retailers but pretty good for Europe (even if buying from US at these deep discounts, by the time us folk in Europe have to pay for pricey shipping, then hefty VAT (20-25%) and some handling fees on top of that, it ends up adding another 30-50% on the price of a watch, in most cases bringing closer to the prices we can find from European sellers which are preferred anyway due to possible warranty issues.
I got the blue dial. It's a gorgeous watch. I find myself staring at it all day.

Picked up this beauty too. It's a stunning watch that I had wanted since the first time I saw pictures of it. It was so inexpensive I couldn't pass it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the blue dial. It's a gorgeous watch. I find myself staring at it all day.

Picked up this beauty too. It's a stunning watch that I had wanted since the first time I saw pictures of it. It was so inexpensive I couldn't pass it up.

Hi, any problems after one year? I wtb a kontiki chrono, tnx.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Hi, any problems after one year? I wtb a kontiki chrono, tnx.
Hi! It was running perfectly, but I noticed the chronograph hand was slightly off when reset zero. It came to me new that way. Very unlike Eterna because their quality control from my experience has been excellent. Anyway, I sent it back for warranty repair and it will all be good as new. Functionally, the watch has been perfect!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.