WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally completed the restoration of a badly damaged gold DW5000C from '83, the first one I've seen in my life. I should be happy but the 240 module is gaining 8sec/day.

I already tried to turn the trimmer screw clockwise but unfortunately it appears it's loose and doesn't work. Anybody here ha any knowledge of what can be the issue? The quartz crystal? And it's fixable? I would hate to be forced to look for another module and cannibalise a good 5200 or 5400, on the other side I really wish to wear this watch.

Here there's a pic of it.

And here along other vintage G-shocks, including a 5200 awaiting for the CR2320 battery.

Sorry for the dust...

·
Registered
952 Posts
+8 sec daily, its better time keeping than most Seiko mechanicals are specified.
Not to make light of the problem but silver linings and all that.
All kidding aside, I've got a late Seventies Hamilton Quartz Datejust homage with ESA movement that does about the same daily gain. Servicing and trimming it has no effect, I attribute the rate to age and have learned to live with it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
901 Posts
if the trimmer screw is loose you might want to look at replacing the trimmer capacitor, or replace the crystal but without the trimmer cap you won't be able to trim the new one either. It might be better than 8sec/day, but you'd want to look at how the effect of the broken (open, short circuited, or fixed at particular value?) trimmer cap is going to effect the rate

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+8 sec daily, its better time keeping than most Seiko mechanicals are specified.
I have about ten mechanical Seikos and none rund as +8 sec/day if wound up....however for a quartz it means there is an issue. The gold 5700 you see in the picture after adjustment runs at -0.3 sec/day and the 5200 is in the same ballpark.

if the trimmer screw is loose you might want to look at replacing the trimmer capacitor, or replace the crystal but without the trimmer cap you won't be able to trim the new one either. It might be better than 8sec/day, but you'd want to look at how the effect of the broken (open, short circuited, or fixed at particular value?) trimmer cap is going to effect the rate
It sounds like complex surgery...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
buy a DW-5600 to get the module and call it a day
did I see some missing segments at the display or it is just my eyes?

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have about ten mechanical Seikos and none rund as +8 sec/day if wound up....however for a quartz it means there is an issue. The gold 5700 you see in the picture after adjustment runs at -0.3 sec/day and the 5200 is in the same ballpark.

It sounds like complex surgery...
I may have exaggerated a little. Its gained 5 minutes since the "Spring Forward" DST change, so what's that about +2 seconds a day. Most of my other quartz do much less than +15 a month so it seems like a whole lot in comparison.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
I may have exaggerated a little. Its gained 5 minutes since the "Spring Forward" DST change, so what's that about +2 seconds a day. Most of my other quartz do much less than +15 a month so it seems like a whole lot in comparison.

I have around eight 5xxxC's and they ALL run fast to varying degrees. So do most of my other vintage G's. I think it's just part of owning a classic old G-Shock TBH.

I'm surprised you're considering such an operation on a watch like that, in regards to rarity and value. I know different people are affected by different things, but when all it takes is less than 30 seconds and a few button presses to change the time, is it really worth getting bothered about??

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
I finally completed the restoration of a badly damaged gold DW5000C from '83, the first one I've seen in my life. I should be happy but the 240 module is gaining 8sec/day.

I already tried to turn the trimmer screw clockwise but unfortunately it appears it's loose and doesn't work. Anybody here ha any knowledge of what can be the issue? The quartz crystal? And it's fixable? I would hate to be forced to look for another module and cannibalise a good 5200 or 5400, on the other side I really wish to wear this watch.

Here there's a pic of it.
View attachment 16033691

And here along other vintage Gbshovks, including a 5200 awaiting for the CR2320 battery.

View attachment 16033693

Sorry for the dust...
I would have already switched the module with the 5200, then the problem is in a less rare watch, you already have the solution right in front of you

·
Registered
49 Posts
Penso si possa provare a cambiare il pcb con quello di un modulo 248, dovrebbe essere lo stesso pcb compatibile.. Solo un'idea, inoltre sostituendo solo il pcb non cambia la personalità dell'orologio.. Ma non ne sono sicuro , un modulo 240 non l'ho mai avuto tra le mani... Qualcuno più esperto saprà dire se questa soluzione va bene...

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have around eight 5xxxC's and they ALL run fast to varying degrees. So do most of my other vintage G's. I think it's just part of owning a classic old G-Shock TBH.

I'm surprised you're considering such an operation on a watch like that, in regards to rarity and value. I know different people are affected by different things, but when all it takes is less than 30 seconds and a few button presses to change the time, is it really worth getting bothered about??

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
This is not my experience: besides this 5000, I have the 5200, two 5400 (gold and silver, the latter with original bezel), two 5700 and three 5600C...after regulation they are all within + or - 0.5sec/day which is acceptable for a vintage quartz IMO. All of them have the trimmer screw working.

Penso si possa provare a cambiare il pcb con quello di un modulo 248, dovrebbe essere lo stesso pcb compatibile.. Solo un'idea, inoltre sostituendo solo il pcb non cambia la personalità dell'orologio.. Ma non ne sono sicuro , un modulo 240 non l'ho mai avuto tra le mani... Qualcuno più esperto saprà dire se questa soluzione va bene...
Dove posso trovare un modulo 248? Sembra ancora più raro del 240.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
This is not my experience: besides this 5000, I have the 5200, two 5400 (gold and silver, the latter with original bezel), two 5700 and three 5600C...after regulation they are all within + or - 0.5sec/day which is acceptable for a vintage quartz IMO. All of them have the trimmer screw working.
I was just meaning that to me it doesn't bother me if any of my G's, vintage or not, run fast. I've never tried to work out how much they are out by. I adjust them as and when I wear them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Questa non è la mia esperienza: oltre a questo 5000, ho il 5200, due 5400 (oro e argento, quest'ultimo con lunetta originale), due 5700 e tre 5600C...dopo la regolazione sono tutti entro + o - 0,5sec/giorno che è accettabile per un IMO al quarzo vintage. Tutti hanno la vite trimmer funzionante.

[/CITAZIONE]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Questa non è la mia esperienza: oltre a questo 5000, ho il 5200, due 5400 (oro e argento, quest'ultimo con lunetta originale), due 5700 e tre 5600C...dopo la regolazione sono tutti entro + o - 0,5sec/giorno che è accettabile per un IMO al quarzo vintage. Tutti hanno la vite trimmer funzionante.

[/CITAZIONE]

·
Registered
49 Posts

[/CITAZIONE]

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
how about giving it the Captain American treatment ?
by frozen the module for say... a month ?
lolz

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
I personally think you should just leave it be. That is a hard to find module now and you have done a great job bringing it back to life. The watch is 38 years old, the quartz crystal will drift and they really were not that high quality in the first place. That module has had a hard life so it is not a surprise the trimmer might be out of whack.

If it was my watch I would not care it being a bit fast. I would most likely be not wearing it much so if it is off, i would simply correct the time.

May I ask, what are you basing your accuracy test on? Have you let it go for a couple of weeks? It might settle back down but if not then just enjoy it. I have a couple of 1970's Seiko digital watches that run about 5 mins fast a month. That does not bother me because I have more modern watches to wear and only wear the vintage ones a few times a month.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I personally think you should just leave it be. That is a hard to find module now and you have done a great job bringing it back to life. The watch is 38 years old, the quartz crystal will drift and they really were not that high quality in the first place. That module has had a hard life so it is not a surprise the trimmer might be out of whack.

If it was my watch I would not care it being a bit fast. I would most likely be not wearing it much so if it is off, i would simply correct the time.

May I ask, what are you basing your accuracy test on? Have you let it go for a couple of weeks? It might settle back down but if not then just enjoy it. I have a couple of 1970's Seiko digital watches that run about 5 mins fast a month. That does not bother me because I have more modern watches to wear and only wear the vintage ones a few times a month.
Yes the watch has been running for few months, always very consistently at +8.2 sec/day, however I disagree with the idea it wasn't high quality, the fact it survived while for instance my 1998 DW9400 is dead proves they were meant to last long. Also, as far as I remember when new they weren't cheap watches, at all.

From the answers I have received in this thread it's clear the only solution is to procure another module from a donor 5200/5400.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts