WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm obsessed with the accuracy of mechanical watch. I'm fascinated with how a mechanical watch can attain an accuracy as good as a quartz and how the second hand sweeps continuously and smoothly.

My first Grand Seiko from Japan is a automatic, I'm not at all impressed with it accuracy, it gains more after 9 months although it eventually got regulated to an acceptable range.

I had concluded that spring drive is the way to go.

During my holiday in a small town in Malaysia, I came across a brand new SGBA003, the authorised dealer gave me a very good discount, as good as I get it in Japan, maybe even better. I bought it. It's running slightly more than +1 sec per day. I'm impressed.

.....then few weeks later, in the pre-own market, I came across a full set SBGA111. The deal was too good to walk away. Even though wife is grumbling, I bought it. This watch is even better. It is less than +1 sec per day! I hardly notice any drift !

I think for limited edition watch, Seiko use a better crystal.

Now, I'm the proud owner of 2 Grand Seiko Spring Drive.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
skyWalker, I agree with you regarding mechanical accuracy. My 1-month old SBGW035 is +6 seconds/day (but it is very consistent).
My $700 Hamilton Jazzmaster is +/- 1 second/day.
The GS is slightly prettier, however.
Maybe my next GS will be an SD. Thanks for tempting me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't even check the accuracy of my Spring Drive anymore haha. My SBGE001 is about 4 seconds fast after I don't even know how many months anymore I reckon it has been more than 4 months. I can only imagine the SBGA103 is the same if not better considering it is guaranteed to be more accurate.

Regarding the mechanical Grand Seikos my old SBGR053 was consistently less than 1 second off a day after I had it regulated so the 9S series of movement can be very accurate.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything being equal, is it true that some crystals/quartz are better than the others ?

Or the crystal is the constant whereas the rest are the ones affecting the accuracy ?

I thought after all these years, crystal should have insignificant deviations from each other....

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Spring Drive technology is unique and super geeky cool... Enjoy!

·
Registered
323 Posts
My understanding is that Seiko "grows" their own crystals. The higher end GS get first dibs on the better quality quartz. It seems that all quartz is not equal. I am simply rehashing what I read elsewhere on understanding spring drives -my appreciation for them has grown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Everything being equal, is it true that some crystals/quartz are better than the others ?

Or the crystal is the constant whereas the rest are the ones affecting the accuracy ?

I thought after all these years, crystal should have insignificant deviations from each other....
On a quartz or Spring Drive the crystal would be the biggest determinant of accuracy. I know some of the limited Grand Seiko Spring Drive models are guaranteed to be more accurate because they have specially selected quartz crystals, not because the going train is made to a higher tolerance.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
On a quartz or Spring Drive the crystal would be the biggest determinant of accuracy. I know some of the limited Grand Seiko Spring Drive models are guaranteed to be more accurate because they have specially selected quartz crystals, not because the going train is made to a higher tolerance.
That is supposedly true. My SBGA105 has the "super spring drive". But honestly we are probably taking .1 to .2 seconds every few weeks. Spring drive alone is VERY accurate.

·
Registered
74 Posts
One thing I have seen is that quartz accuracy really can depend on temperature, both ambient and the influence wrist time has. Related to this, one thing that people don't really mention but when you think about it is very relevant is how some quartz crystals are better isolated from ambient temperature than others. This can depend on the material of the watch, where the quartz oscillator is situated in the movement and what surrounds it. Grand Seiko takes this into account for both its quartz and SD range, hence the exceptional accuracy and stability.

·
Premium Member
8,774 Posts
Is it weird that I don't care about the accuracy of any of my watches? Unless it is noticeably losing or gaining seconds. It's not something I think about. Is there something wrong with me? Just about everyone else on WUS seems to be obsessed with it.

Also do you guys have timing machines? I have always wondered what methods people use to measure accuracy.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Is it weird that I don't care about the accuracy of any of my watches? Unless it is noticeably losing or gaining seconds. It's not something I think about. Is there something wrong with me? Just about everyone else on WUS seems to be obsessed with it.

Also do you guys have timing machines? I have always wondered what methods people use to measure accuracy.
Timing machines don't work on Spring Drives since there is no actual beat to measure. I imagine most owners are just eyeballing the differences.

·
Premium Member
14,327 Posts
My SBGA105 was fast by 3 seconds over eight months! I'm still stunned when I think about that. Talk about luck of the draw...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My SBGA099 gains 1 sec every 2-3 weeks. I set all my other automatic watches to it b/c ik the accuracy is so impressive.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts