WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Friday 15 February I received my Android Euxine Automatic with Power Reserve. It is powered by the Seafull TY-2342 atuomatic Power Reserve with 34 jewels.
I immediately wound it and set the minute and second hand exactly to the US Atomic Clock at: The official U.S. time - clock

In 12 hours I will have worn the watch continuously for four days, except for showering. So far in almost four(4) days, this movement has only gained six(6) seconds!, as referenced to the US Atomic clock.

Is this degree of accuracy normal for a Chinese movement ? ? ? None of my other mechanical watches even come close to such accuracy.

I would very much appreciate hearing of others experience with this particular movement. Thank You!

Dave

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
This Friday 15 February I received my Android Euxine Automatic with Power Reserve. It is powered by the Seafull TY-2342 atuomatic Power Reserve with 34 jewels.
I immediately wound it and set the minute and second hand exactly to the US Atomic Clock at: The official U.S. time - clock

In 12 hours I will have worn the watch continuously for four days, except for showering. So far in almost four(4) days, this movement has only gained six(6) seconds!, as referenced to the US Atomic clock.

Is this degree of accuracy normal for a Chinese movement ? ? ? None of my other mechanical watches even come close to such accuracy.

I would very much appreciate hearing of others experience with this particular movement. Thank You!

Dave
There are many levels of Chinese watch movements; just like the Swiss, Germans and Japanese. Most are good timekeepers; some are excellent and others are like yours.
I usually goes hand in hand with how much the watch cost.

The Chinese have been making watches that rival the timekeeping of the Swiss and Japanese for decades.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Paul, for your prompt response.
So, how does this kind of accuracy I am experiencing rate? Is this 6+ seconds in four days average, below or above average for this level of Chinese movement?
Looking through the exhibition case back, I see that this TY-2342 is fully decorated. Is that an indication of the grade of the movement?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Your movement has exceptionally good accuracy. However, the fact that the movement is decorated does not necessarily indicate the accuracy of the movement (at least not for Seagull movements).

You should keep in mind that it is possible that the way you wear the watch can effect the accuracy. For example, whether you place the watch crown up or down at night time can change the accuracy. This difference between positions is called positional variance. While we might get lucky and get a movement that happens to be very accurate in the positions we individually use most, very few movements maintain their accuracy across many positions without regulation. You likely received a movement that is extremely accurate in the positions you encounter throughout the day, which makes you a very lucky person.

Congrats

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Thank You Paul, for your prompt response.
So, how does this kind of accuracy I am experiencing rate? Is this 6+ seconds in four days average, below or above average for this level of Chinese movement?
Looking through the exhibition case back, I see that this TY-2342 is fully decorated. Is that an indication of the grade of the movement?
I would say it is above average for this movement but there are many folks who have also reported similar timekeeping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dear Sir Dude,

I sincerely appreciate hearing of and you sharing your expertise and experience. The points on positional variance you state are ideas and facts new to me. As I stated earlier, except for showing, I have worn this watch continuously now for almost four day: sleeping, at work, driving. running errands, during recreation and all the usual accustomed human movements made during a day. And I kept a day-by-day record at each 12:30 PM, 24 hour passage period, to where its accuracy stood. After two 24 hour days, it had gained exactly 4 seconds; no more no less. I am still baffled and amazed at this degree of mechanical accuracy. My one PURE SWISS MADE Chronograph Moon Phase does not come close to this accuracy: it looses or gains about 12-15 seconds each day.
Thanks Again!
Dave

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Dang! If you only hadn't taken it off for showering! ( Or alternatively, not showered for those four days.) So close to winning the special, secret ChiMech/Guinness '96hrs TY-23xx' price! But the showering ruined it; bummer!

Seriously, 1.5s/day is very good. The watch seems very well matched to your wearing pattern. You could check whether the rate depends on the watch position when stationary. If it has a slightly slower position (like, dial down or crown up), you could use that overnight (or during showering) and maybe get it even closer to zero seconds/day.
Or, like some of us here, you could open it up and find out what the little levers on the balance do.... There's no limit to the madness!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today at 12:30 PM marked the sixth day of continuously wearing the Seagull TY-2342 automatic without changing or resetting the time.

THE COMPARISON

When the Atomic clock today, 20 February, said 12:45:00 PM, I simultaneously checked the face of my automatic and it read 12:45:06. That is to say, in 6 complete 24 hour days of wearing this watch, it is only six seconds faster than when I originally set it on 15 February.
This evening it is back to being 4+ seconds faster than the Atomic clock. I am amazed beyond comprehension, that a mechanical movement like this Seagull can maintain such day-to-week accuracy.
Thanks to all of you who responded with your expertise and thoughts.
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
On a visit to Tianjin, China, a few years ago, I impulsively purchased six Seagull automatic watches, attracted by their relatively low prices and novelty value. Tianjin is where Seagull s factory s located, and I was told that seagull manufactured more mechanical movements than any other company in the world, selling the movements at a low price. I can report that the watches I bought (I kept three and gave away three as gifts) have given much satisfaction They are accurate, even by the standards of the Swiss watches in my possession (including Omega and longines, )haven't given me any problems despite occasional knocks and rough wear, and as it so happened, I had chosen conservative designs that have withstood the test of time. I am certainly open to the idea of adding to my modest collection of Chinese watches

1 - 9 of 9 Posts