WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hy peeps,

I am thinking about buying a basic vintage G. Can be used or new, I dont really care- ooops :-x

What I am concerned of is the accuracy. My Frogman runs 15 secs per month which is much compared to an older DW-6500 running under 5 secs per month or a cheapo Ronda quartz movement which is dead on second!

How accurate is the 5600? Which model should I prefer? I read something about 15- 25secs. I am not too interested in an atomic G so it should be within 5-8 secs per month.
I am awaiting your proposals, errrh propositions ;)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi Frogger,

my DW-5600e runs 3 seconds fast in a month !
No other non atomic G is so accurate..

servus
Klaus

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
...a cheapo Ronda quartz movement which is dead on second!
My Ronda-powered PRS-18 is also astonishingly accurate, +/- ZERO since I bought it, months ago.

In contrast, by old DW-5600E was less accurate than many mechanicals I have owned, losing 2 or 3 seconds PER DAY. I believe this can be adjusted if you know what you're doing, but it hardly seems worth it on such a watch.

If accuracy is important to you, my suggestion is you go atomic, assuming you can receive the signal where you are.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah Klaus, that sounds good.

Accuracy is and is not important. I was just going to buy a cheap basic model. And if it is atomic it wont be cheap anymore ;)

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
If I wanted to be sure of accuracy within 5-8 seconds per month I wouldn't buy any non-atomic Casio.

Most will be accurate within the 15 second specification that is common to most 'ordinary' quartz watches.

Seikos tend to be more accurate, and Ronda movements are usually pretty good in my experience. I have no experience of Citizen.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Accuracy is and is not important. I was just going to buy a cheap basic model. And if it is atomic it wont be cheap anymore ;)
Then go for a DW-5600E. It's cheap as chips and its status as a truly iconic watch makes up for whatever shortcomings it might have in the accuracy stakes (and let's not carp, it's still more than accurate enough for any of us).

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
For some reason my 5600 is the least accurate
of all my G's. Well, it is the most inexpensive
too, so I guess it's ok. I don't think it falls even
within that 15-20 seconds a month though. I set
it Sunday and it's already gained 4 seconds.
I set all my G's with my atomic on Sunday, my
6900 FIFA has gained 1 second, my Mudman the
same, my stealthed 6900 +1...Camo 6900 +1,
and my Frogman is +-0........so my most expensive
G is the most accurate, and my least expensive is
my least accurate.....I'll add my Suunto Vector
is still spot on after almost 2 months...+-0

Regards Sonny

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your input so far.

Citizen have a pretty good accuracy. I would rate it the same as Seikos. I would go so far to say, that Seiko and Citizen are equal in quality.

And yes one could expect the most expensive G to be the most accurate, unfortunately it isnt so easy. Like my Frogman which is out of limit in this.
Like I said before, the Ronda quartz, analog movement, is by far the best and its only a 50 bucks Uzi.. Also my early DW-6500 and my DW-8300 beat the Frog though they are not the upper class models.

One might think the early models were of higher quality..

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I have some DW5600s.

Some are way more of the +15 seconds/month mark; some are -15 seconds/month; three of them are +10 seconds/month; one is only +3 seconds/month; another one is +2 seconds/month.

So it all depends on pure and raw luck, I think. :)

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
As I've said countless times on here, unless you're in the business of landing rockets on the moon, a watch that's +/-15 seconds per month causing you distress is a sign it's time to cut back on caffeine.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
As I've said countless times on here, unless you're in the business of landing rockets on the moon, a watch that's +/-15 seconds per month causing you distress is a sign it's time to cut back on caffeine.
I just like my watches, especialy Quartz to be a little
more accurate then that. At least it's fast so every week
I can reset it with ease.

Vintage, yeah I agree, I think it's just luck of the draw.

My Zilla is about +2 seconds per month. All of my
Rhonda's are within 6-8 seconds per month.
I'll admit I'm anal about it, but that's why I like
watches.
Regards Sonny

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
do g-shocks always gain, or either lose time? can they gain 15sec one month and then lose it another? or do they only deviate in one direction? hope im being clear enough:think:

·
Registered
40 Posts
do g-shocks always gain?
Mine have always gained, but my experience has only been with vintage models.

Also, to those who aren't happy with the accuracy of their watches, most, maybe all, Casios with digital displays (this includes analog/digital models) can be regulated. Yes, it can be a tedious process, but if you just can't live with a 15 second/month gain, then consider going this route.

The only Casios I've ever seen which can't be regulated are those with the Citizen-manufactured analog-only modules.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
The only Casios I've ever seen which can't be regulated are those with the Citizen-manufactured analog-only modules.
Ooh - that's caught my interest.

Could you tell us a little more?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL agreed. Unfortunately some Casio models dont meet the specs. I read about some models having a +/- 15 s sheet and were about 23 and more..
Why buy a quartz if its inaccurate? My decision between mechanical and quartz is pure functionality. Quartz has to be accurate or I stay with mechanics. I won't eloaborate on a watches soul ;)

do g-shocks always gain, or either lose time? can they gain 15sec one month and then lose it another? or do they only deviate in one direction? hope im being clear enough:think:
Any quartz movement can deviate forward AND backward- so do mechanicals. The cristal is temperature affected. Also by shocks and other forces. But most quartz are protected against small outside (temperature-)shocks.
But when you put your watch into the freezer and compare it to normal room temperature, there should occur a little time differences.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have read (I think it is in the thread which shows you how to regulate a Casio to make it more accurate) that the accuracy of the watch depends of the effort of person in the factory who was initially setting it up. I suspect that laziness in the factory line is the reason people report such variances in the gain or loss of time IMO. :-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I suspect that laziness in the factory line is the reason people report such variances in the gain or loss of time IMO. :-d:-d:-d
I'm not sure that a human hand touches most parts of the watch.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I find that out of all of my casio's. The DW 9052 is always about plus 20-30 sec's per month. I remember reading somewhere on here awhile bk, that this model is known for being way off per month, more so than most anyother G.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts