WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all! It's been a while. I have a quick question. I've got a blue dial Invicta S1 diver (you know their first "limited edition" release LOL!). While I love the watch, I haven't worn it much at all during the past year, but I've been winding the watch fully and letting it run down about once a month during this time in order to keep the oils from gumming up. I actually wore the watch a few times last week, and I noticed that the watch is now running quite fast (+20 to +25spd). I had personally regulated the watch to almost dead-on accuracy a couple months before taking it out of wear rotation early last year. Is it typical for an automatic to gain so much if unworn and not wound more than once every four weeks? Is this indicative of it needing to be serviced, or should I just try and regulate it again? I've had the watch about two or three years now. Even though I love the watch overall, I just don't see a whole lot of use in servicing a watch that I don't wear very often and that cost me less that $50 in the first place. I wear my G-Shock GW-300 daily at work and my Invicta 2014 most other times. Thanks!
-Cameron

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Sounds like something's surely amiss (my astute diagnosis..lol).
If no one here has a valid theory I'd ask the very watch smart guys in the WUS Watchmaking Forum.
Good luck Cameron!

·
Registered
95 Posts
It is possible that the temperature is lower/higher now than when you first tested the accuracy. Temperature can make quite a large difference, especially on a low end watch.

It is also possible that the oils have gradually seeped away from joints.

Alternatively it is possible that the watch has simply worn in since you regulated it. It is a low end one, and does not use high end components.

Maybe a watch repairer can give you an educated answer rather than my guesses.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
If you regulated it when you were wearing it regularly and now you are checking its accuracy when its merely wound once every 30 days or so it may be that the accuracy will return (+25 secs per day is NOT that much folks) if worn regularly. It may boil down to "breaking it in" again which in this case means wearing it. Also, position is very important in base model movements. its why high end movements are regulated in 3 positions+ and across varying conditions (Heat, Cold, Etc.). So, wear it for a while and then see is my advice.:think:

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have 2 Vostok-Europe N1 Rockets. When I got both of these watches brand new, I placed them in my winder. Both watches gained time to the tune of like 15 minutes a week. I was going to send each back but never got around to it. I finally decided to try to wear one of them and wore it for a week. It kept very good time so I wore it another week. It kept perfect time.

I took it off and put it back in the winder and wore the other one in the same fashion and the same results occurred. Now both watches have been in the winder probably a month since wearing and the time on both is correct with all of the other watches in the winder (winds 8 watches). I guess a break in was all mine needed. It was really bizarre to me though.

Smurfe :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts