WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 214 Spaceviews and noticed some rather unusual things.
I used a Accucell I bought with one Spaceview and used the normal 1.5V cell in the other.
As neither of them were ever adjusted for 1.5V I expected the one with 1.5V to run little bit faster - after all from what I read indicated this is what happen with unregulated 214 with 1.5V.

However over the course of 12+ days I noticed both Spaceviews are keeping dead accurate times.
Being curious I put them to my ear and noticed they were making different tones. One with Accucell produced rather lower pitch compared to the one with 1.5V.

This got me interested so I pulled out Accucell and pop'd into the one that was making higher pitch and noticed over half day it started to loose time - i.e. getting slower?

It's as if this particular 214 is running slow at 1.35V and at 1.5V running accurately? But then why the higher pitch compared the 214 with Accucell as well as Longines Ultronic?

Anyone had similar before? For me it's great both Spaceviews are keeping dead accurate time as well as Ultronic but I'd like to know what's causing the different pitch and whether this would eventually wear out in time...

cheers chaps

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
When's the last time either were serviced? If the index wheel is dirty, it could perhaps momentarily get stuck, which could offset the double-pulling of index teeth that can happen when running a 1.5V battery in one phased for 1.35V. If one's clean and the other is a little dirty, the effect of the battery could cancel out one way and compound the problem the other way.

Don't know about the pitch. My 218 running a 1.5V has a higher overtone that's louder than the base hum unless i put my ear against the case.

These Accutrons really are fickle sometimes. Mine keeps within 1s/day in the box and will gain a few seconds here and there when I wear it, despite coming back from a service in the past six months.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine keeps within 1s/day in the box and will gain a few seconds here and there when I wear it,
One was serviced about 5/6 years ago and the other about 3 years(?) according to its previous owner.
For me it's opposite. The one with 1.5V gain the time when resting with face up whereas when worn it corrects itself while the one with Accucell is accurate regardless whether worn or resting. :)

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Hi there,

Being curious I put them to my ear and noticed they were making different tones.
The sound will tell you much more about the case than the movement. There is a good chance that the reference number can be determined after analysing the noise, while it will even not tell the maintenance state of the movement.

After my experience almost all Accutron hummers run well with both, mercury cell (original) and silver odixe cell (replacement). If a single sample does not, you have a couple of options:
1) Servicing,
2) adjusting the index motor,
3) modifying the circuit,
4) using a so-callend Accucell which reduces the voltage of a silver odixe cell.

Else I'd better not join the speculation party.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
The sound will tell you much more about the case than the movement...
Never thought of that. Really good point.

Else I'd better not join the speculation party.
That's probably where I went wrong.

Considering they're between 40 and 50 years old, it's probably best to leave good enough where it is. For the fun of it, do you have any pictures?

My 1976 Accutron with the 218 movement:

DSC02688.JPG

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a lot of trouble using caseback opener from Bay.
The proper Bulova caseback opener makes it so much easier.
With bit of patience I was able to get one for $20 with free shipping. :)

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I had a lot of trouble using caseback opener from Bay.
The proper Bulova caseback opener makes it so much easier.
With bit of patience I was able to get one for $20 with free shipping. :)
Thanks for the hint! I didn't know about that yet and will certainly try to get one. This will double the value of my Bulova Accutron. I know THIS TYPE of tuning fork watch works well with the new 1,5 Volt cells, I know which type and model of a button cell it is and I have the appropriate opener for the watch. For all the others I have my universal case opener which openes everything else (get the original to avoid any disappointments). But with this Accutron it is somewhat tricky, because of the displaced notches. The case back itself cannot be lifted separately and is held down by the ring with the notches.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts