WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all!!

I would really like to know the difference between Bulova's Accutron, Accutron II and Precisionist movements in terms of real world accuracy and not stated accuracy.
I have not found this data online hence the post.

I read that the movement in the Accutron watches is "smoother" in regard to the second hand "sweeping" motion than the Preciosionist but the latter is more accurate ?! is this true

I am considering getting a Bulova, i would appreciate any and all suggestions regarding Acccutron/Precisionist watches up to 43mm that can be bought in Europe.

·
Registered
Lots of Hamiltons, a couple of Seiko's, a Smith Everest and a vintage 69 Speedy Pro
250 Posts
I can't speak to Accutron but I do own three Precisionist Bulovas.

A 98B294

It's a Grammy Awards Special edition which I purchased for a decent price as new old stock in a clearance outlet store. Its a funny one in that it's kind of big and clunky design wise but it's also very comfortable to wear on its curver rubber strap. It's also easy to read and the dial design isn't too in your face. It also comes with curved sapphire glass and is right now at +1sec at six months from the last time I set it. People usually ask far too much for these watches but good deals can be had on Ebay and such. It's 46mm x 54mm Lug to lug and 16mm thick.

A 96B251 Moonwatch

The Moonwatch is probably my favourite of my Precisionists even though it's a small seconds (the seconds hand beat twice per second). It's my defacto track watch as it's a great Chrono an provides timekeeping to tenths of a second. It's got a great high contrast dial, very easy to read. Though if I had a main gripe, it's that the date seems like an afterthought. The raised edge on the flat sapphire crystal is a bit unnerving at first but I've had the watch for over two years and no issues and it still looks as good today as when I first got the watch.

If you can, get it with the Date of Mission velcro NATO as IMHO it's one of the most comfortable ways to wear this iconic watch. It's also a +1sec in six months for accuracy. Dims are 45mm, 53mm lug to lug and 13.5mm thickness.

And lastly a 96B158, though I don't have any pictures of that one and to be fair, it's the least well appointed of my Precisionists and a little sloppy in comparison in regards to it's fit and finish and yes, timekeeping, right now I'm waiting for a new battery for it.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't speak to Accutron but I do own three Precisionist Bulovas.

A 98B294
View attachment 15845224
It's a Grammy Awards Special edition which I purchased for a decent price as new old stock in a clearance outlet store. Its a funny one in that it's kind of big and clunky design wise but it's also very comfortable to wear on its curver rubber strap. It's also easy to read and the dial design isn't too in your face. It also comes with curved sapphire glass and is right now at +1sec at six months from the last time I set it. People usually ask far too much for these watches but good deals can be had on Ebay and such. It's 46mm x 54mm Lug to lug and 16mm thick.

A 96B251 Moonwatch

View attachment 15845229

The Moonwatch is probably my favourite of my Precisionists even though it's a small seconds (the seconds hand beat twice per second). It's my defacto track watch as it's a great Chrono an provides timekeeping to tenths of a second. It's got a great high contrast dial, very easy to read. Though if I had a main gripe, it's that the date seems like an afterthought. The raised edge on the flat sapphire crystal is a bit unnerving at first but I've had the watch for over two years and no issues and it still looks as good today as when I first got the watch.

If you can, get it with the Date of Mission velcro NATO as IMHO it's one of the most comfortable ways to wear this iconic watch. It's also a +1sec in six months for accuracy. Dims are 45mm, 53mm lug to lug and 13.5mm thickness.

And lastly a 96B158, though I don't have any pictures of that one and to be fair, it's the least well appointed of my Precisionists and a little sloppy in comparison in regards to it's fit and finish and yes, timekeeping, right now I'm waiting for a new battery for it.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.
Marvellous,you have good taste indeed.I think that your Bulovas are more than accurate for my own needs so i would definitely consider getting one.
Size wise, i think i am going to try and find an accutron II spaceview i rather like the black one with a nylon strap,but i would consider myswlf very lucky indeed if i were to attain one,considerimg where i live,the pandemic and so on :(

·
Registered
Lots of Hamiltons, a couple of Seiko's, a Smith Everest and a vintage 69 Speedy Pro
250 Posts
Marvellous,you have good taste indeed.I think that your Bulovas are more than accurate for my own needs so i would definitely consider getting one.
Size wise, i think i am going to try and find an accutron II spaceview i rather like the black one with a nylon strap,but i would consider myswlf very lucky indeed if i were to attain one,considerimg where i live,the pandemic and so on :(
Yeah, I've been looking at a number of Spaceviews myself and almost pulled the trigger on one from the 80's a month or so back.

·
Premium Member
36,316 Posts
The 262 movements are very precise and accurate.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 262 movements are very precise and accurate.
Thank you for your reply and info.
Do you happen to know if and where i could get an Accutron II spaceview metal mesh?
I have been scouring Europe for one but with no avail...i know they came out in 2014 do you happen to know till when were they produced?
Also is the movment in the Accutron II a 16 ticks per second one?
Sorry if im boring you with question and thanks in advance

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I've been looking at a number of Spaceviews myself and almost pulled the trigger on one from the 80's a month or so back.
You are lucky you can get your hands on an Accutron i have so far been unlucky :(
I would prefer a new piece though..

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
MirzaSarajevo,
Looks like you have a great Watch adventure ahead. Some like the hunt for said watch as much as owning one. Vance.

Reactions: sabot03196

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MirzaSarajevo,
Looks like you have a great Watch adventure ahead. Some like the hunt for said watch as much as owning one. Vance.
Hi Vance,
It seems so indeed :) i think i inherited some OCD from my dad so as you can imagine this is a full blown watch hunt.
Right now i am hoping there is an Accutron II spaceview steel mash version somewhere,in some shop window waiting patiently for me :)
Have a great one :)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Good day all!!

I would really like to know the difference between Bulova's Accutron, Accutron II and Precisionist movements in terms of real world accuracy and not stated accuracy.
I have not found this data online hence the post.

I read that the movement in the Accutron watches is "smoother" in regard to the second hand "sweeping" motion than the Preciosionist but the latter is more accurate ?! is this true

I am considering getting a Bulova, i would appreciate any and all suggestions regarding Acccutron/Precisionist watches up to 43mm that can be bought in Europe.

- Accutron was the 1960s vintage movement with a tuning fork oscillator for the time base. Those were discontinued in the 1970s (maybe early 80s?). If I remember correctly they were good to about 1 second/day.

- Precisionist was the 262kHz quartz oscillator based design from Bulova (Citizen) for a chronograph model. They were introduced around 2010. The quartz oscillator is 3 prong, typical quartz oscillator is 2 prong. The claim originally was 10 seconds/year accuracy but the claim was later changed to 5 seconds/month. There were some 3 handers Bulova offered (one poster showed his model). Most of the chronographs have some hefty case sizes, like 47mm, with, well, designs that might appeal to many buyers.

- Accutron II was a 3 hander line with one that also included a one chronograph model. Those came out around 2014/2015. The movement was much smaller than the original Precisionist so it fit in models that were more 'normal' in size. It had the same 262kHz 3 prong oscillator and smooth sweep second hand like the Precisionist. Those were discontinued around 2017/2018. They were spec'd at 5 seconds/month

I have a Precisionist chrongraph that was discontinued years ago, got it in a close-out sale off eBay. It was one of their short-lived "not so garish or big" collection. 😄 Model was 96B259. That watch is good to around +3 seconds/month.

I also have an Accutron II 3 hander, model 97B133. It's about the same, +3 seconds/month. I also own a Lunar Pilot, it's good to +2 sec/month, my Bulova Curv is good to +3 sec/month. The latter two have the '2 ticks/second' sweep second hand but are both 262kHz movements.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
- Accutron was the 1960s vintage movement with a tuning fork oscillator for the time base. Those were discontinued in the 1970s (maybe early 80s?). If I remember correctly they were good to about 1 second/day.

- Precisionist was the 262kHz quartz oscillator based design from Bulova (Citizen) for a chronograph model. They were introduced around 2010. The quartz oscillator is 3 prong, typical quartz oscillator is 2 prong. The claim originally was 10 seconds/year accuracy but the claim was later changed to 5 seconds/month. There were some 3 handers Bulova offered (one poster showed his model). Most of the chronographs have some hefty case sizes, like 47mm, with, well, designs that might appeal to many buyers.

- Accutron II was a 3 hander line with one that also included a one chronograph model. Those came out around 2014/2015. The movement was much smaller than the original Precisionist so it fit in models that were more 'normal' in size. It had the same 262kHz 3 prong oscillator and smooth sweep second hand like the Precisionist. Those were discontinued around 2017/2018. They were spec'd at 5 seconds/month

I have a Precisionist chrongraph that was discontinued years ago, got it in a close-out sale off eBay. It was one of their short-lived "not so garish or big" collection. 😄 Model was 96B259. That watch is good to around +3 seconds/month.

I also have an Accutron II 3 hander, model 97B133. It's about the same, +3 seconds/month. I also own a Lunar Pilot, it's good to +2 sec/month, my Bulova Curv is good to +3 sec/month. The latter two have the '2 ticks/second' sweep second hand but are both 262kHz movements.
Thank you very much for your informative answer.
To be honest i have rather gone off the Accutron II now considering the whole case size vs accuracy situation. I was thinking of getting the Grammy precisionist model which is 41mm, but having been informed i would not risk getting a "tuned down" model that may or may not be 16 ticks per second.
I have found a couple of Accutron II Alpha watches ranging from 400-5500 USD plus shipping to Europe and so on...i think i can get a new Precisionist Grammy here in Europe, Croatia, to be precise for about the same pricei just have to wrap my head around the larger models and hope that i find one that i don't find too ghastly ;)
have a good one :)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Look around for a used Accutron II model. You'll uncover them occsionally and they were rather tastefully designed. They're a bit thick for their size but still attractive. It's a shame they were killed off so quickly, that movement deserved better.

Another option was the 'lobster' case, I found one used in the UK, not sure if the seller ships to Croatia.

Just keep an eye out, they do come up for sale but I did notice most of them are in the US on ebay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts