WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with Michelle Domenico, ext. 9210, at the TAG repair facility in NJ. I had filed a BBB complaint re: stripped screw crown not being covered under warranty. The repair cost went from $233 to $68 (parts cost for tube and crown). She said TAG considers a stripped crown as being mishandled. I asked her how I know it hasn't been mishandled by the repair facility before being mailed back to me. She said they are highly-trained professionals. So, bottom line, you must be a highly trained professional to use this watch! Unbelievable lack of warranty warranty.:-s

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Sorry you had a bad experience, eeksasn1. That sucks.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Highly-trained idiots is more like it. Sorry about that. I hate poor customer service.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I'm about 2 years into my Aquaracer 500m ownership, I set it at least once a week as its in rotation, crown out, set time, wind wind wind, crown in. I feel what the crown is doing, I wind it backwards slightly when the threads are connected and then forward to engage the threads in the tube.

If you strip the threads, you've done something wrong.

It might suck that its not covered, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
38,805 Posts
Good for them, it's incredible how many will torque down the crown.
Just got off the phone with Michelle Domenico, ext. 9210, at the TAG repair facility in NJ. I had filed a BBB complaint re: stripped screw crown not being covered under warranty. The repair cost went from $233 to $68 (parts cost for tube and crown). She said TAG considers a stripped crown as being mishandled. I asked her how I know it hasn't been mishandled by the repair facility before being mailed back to me. She said they are highly-trained professionals. So, bottom line, you must be a highly trained professional to use this watch! Unbelievable lack of warranty warranty.:-s

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,063 Posts
I have reread your message several times and do not understand one point. Did you sent it in with a stripped crown or are you saying they discovered the problem after receiving it.

It is worth noting that screw crowns are not really robust designs and will fail.

·
Registered
38,805 Posts
The worst I've seen was Omega, and 18 kt crown with no insert.
I have reread your message several times and do not understand one point. Did you sent it in with a stripped crown or are you saying they discovered the problem after receiving it.

It is worth noting that screw crowns are not really robust designs and will fail.

·
Banned
668 Posts
You are lucky ( not that I feel happy for you ) Bummer. You mean from $68 to $233 right?
I found my problem when swimming. Popped out, flooded the watch in 2 foot of water. Rushed to watch center, they took care of it but I could see corrosion or something from then on.
ONE reason I no longer a Tag is they still apparently have this problem. a dive watch that to me is “not water proof” guaranteed. Well, look which big corporation owns them now

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm afraid Ozy has a point. Sounds like a poor customer service experience but, despite all the horror stores aroud on these models, I have had no problems with mine. I wind it almost every week and do take care to feel what is happening when screwing down the crown. There are at least three turns to completely bring the crown flush with the case so I do wonder how they just pop off the threads. I'm not saying it didn't, but I would be horrifoed of it happened to me.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I've done my share of research into this problem since I love the looks of the AR 500M and was hoping the stories I read were due to user error. The further I dug, the less apparent this was the case to the point where I'm extremely confident its a design flaw.

I still bought one (the chrono version) but no longer have it. When a problem is this pronounced, I would not chalk it to "user error" as Tag claims it to be. For comparison, I've hung around the Omega forums since I joined here and I can't recall seeing this problem posted about any of their current Seamaster models.

Will this happen to every single AR 500M watch? Probably not, but it definitely seems like too many of these cases are popping up for Tag to not cover it under warranty.

Sorry this happened to you OP and good luck with getting it resolved.

Reactions: Monocrom

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think the only design 'flaw' is that the Aquaracer 500m crown is so big and easy to grip, it's too easy to over torque. I mean how different compared to other watches, or complicated are the other parts of a screw down crown that Tag can't get right? They can make the Mikrotimer, but can't resolve a crown design 'flaw' they keep hearing their customers complain about?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
As what Ozy said, it's good practice to wind the crown backwards till u feel it sinks in a bit then wind it forward 'cos that's when the thread is lined properly. Try it with a jar to know what I mean.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just received my Acquaracer back from the T.H. shop in New Jersey after having been repaired twice in one year for stripped crown threads. Both times the warranty did not cover the expense. I’ve been told by a professional that there is something wrong with the way these crowns are made as the threads are on the inside of the shaft and not on the exterior which makes them much more likely to strip. I am reluctant to wear it anymore. I’m sorry you’ve experienced the same trouble.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,063 Posts
Stripped screw crowns are unfortunately a fact of life with the design. For most of us they are completely unneeded but plenty of watch owners see them as cool and watch companies oblige. For most of us a snap crown will provide sufficient moisture protection and be far more reliable.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
I'm about 2 years into my Aquaracer 500m ownership, I set it at least once a week as its in rotation, crown out, set time, wind wind wind, crown in. I feel what the crown is doing, I wind it backwards slightly when the threads are connected and then forward to engage the threads in the tube.

If you strip the threads, you've done something wrong.

It might suck that its not covered, but it is what it is.
Yup! And What it is, is a ridiculous design flaw. It's great that you've had no issues with your 500M. Many other members of WUS have not been so fortunate. Did each and every single one of them man-handle the crowns on their Aquaracers? Not likely. Not all of them.

You buy a Rolex Submariner, you get a screw-down crown that takes maximum advantage of the surface area available. Threads are on the outside of the crown tube (instead of the inside), and on the inside of the crown (instead of on the outside of the crown stem that fits inside the tube). Doesn't even have to be a Rolex. My Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro diver uses the same common sense approach to achieving a screw-down crown.

If the threads on a watch's screw-down crown are far more tiny than they realistically need to be, then by their very size they're going to be much easier to strip. That's common sense. You want a screw-down crown on a watch that is particularly small and thin, then you do what TAG Heuer did. Thing is, Aquaracers in general (especially the 500M), are not small and very thin watches. They're large enough to accommodate a screw-down crown set-up that does not use ridiculously tiny or very fine threads. It just isn't needed on a watch the size of the average Aquaracer.

Sure, you can baby the crown on an Aquaracer and hope for the best. But the point of a dive watch is something that is by it's very design, is supposed to be tougher and more robust than other watches. There is no point in using such tiny threads for the screw-down crown. A diver's watch should not need to be set very carefully with a great deal of attention not to strip the crown.

Then, after using such a ridiculous set-up for their screw-down crowns, TAG Heuer tells their loyal customers they won't cover the repair under warranty because it must be a case of customers mishandling the horribly fragile crowns that TAG Heuer for some bizarre reason chose to use on their Aquaracer line. Definitely not the way to build up a loyal customer base. A customer shouldn't have to file a complaint with the BBB to get a major watch brand to do the right thing.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Stripped screw crowns are unfortunately a fact of life with the design. For most of us they are completely unneeded but plenty of watch owners see them as cool and watch companies oblige. For most of us a snap crown will provide sufficient moisture protection and be far more reliable.
I also prefer non-screw down crowns. Easier to hand wind and set.
I've seen this issue posted about many, many times here. It's a problem. There are hundreds, if not thousands of cheap Seiko diver owners in the Seiko forum and while I'm sure there's inevitably a few with a stripped crown, I've never heard or seen it.

As per why TAG can't fix it, well, I imagine it's more of a timing issue. They've got to figure out the problem, make a new design, send it off to China for tooling, then China has to make the part and send it back and only after they exhaust their current inventory will they introduce the new part into production. I don't know how long that takes, but I doubt they'd start after the first spattering of problems. They would wait to make sure it's an epidemic since it's so expensive to do things like that.

It's too bad, because the Aquaracer is one of my favorite TAGs, but I'm not going anywhere near it with this issue.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
That sucks! I had the same happened with my Marathon M-SAR. Was it my fault? I don't know, maybe but I don't think so (it seems that a few Marathon had that problem). Anyway, I called David at Marathon to explain my problem and he told me to send him the watch. After 3 weeks, the watch was back, they had replaced the whole case and didn't charge me for it, even though the crown was not warranty. Even better, an old G-SAR i sold to another WUS member had the same problem but the watch was off warranty by 3 or 4 months. The new owner called me to see if I could help. I contacted Marathon again and ask for a repair price. Again, David told me to send him the watch. They did the work free of charge (except for shipping, which is normal). Now, that's amazing customer service and the reason I have three Marathon watches, even though I had small issues with some of them.

Service departments are not all created equal...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm afraid Ozy has a point. Sounds like a poor customer service experience but, despite all the horror stores aroud on these models, I have had no problems with mine.
Well... I thought I didn't have a problem too - until I had a problem... Don't want to jinx you, but considering both new owners and experienced owners have encountered this problem, it is a design and manufacturing defect. Even if it IS a user's fault (though not deliberate), then it is still a design fault. What happened to "the customer is always right" and dummy proofing stuff mentality? It's not like we threw the watch on the ground and stomped on it.

Please don't take this personally, I've just been frustrated with my experience with Tag and my 500M, and I hope you don't have to deal with this!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts