WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is based on Tony20009's thread here: https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/acronyms-abbreviations-nicknames-horological-wus-only-946644.html

This is not intended to be an exhaustive list, and there is also no guarantee that everything listed below is 100% correct, but hopefully it will prove a useful guide for those starting out in this world where nicknames and abbreviations are commonplace and can be added to as time goes on.

If anything below is correct, or missing, just reply to this thread and every now and again I'll update it
(threads started by members cant be edited after a certain period which is why I've started this new one as I will be able to edit and update this well into the future)

So, here goes:

Brand Names
ALS: A. Lange & Söhne
A&S: Arnold and Son
AP: Audemars Piguet
B-ling: Breitling
B&M: Baume & Mercier (BM is also used)
BP: Blancpain
CW or CWL: Christopher Ward London
ETA: ETA SA Swiss Watch Manufacturer
FC: Frederique Constant
GG: Gérald Genta
GO: Glashutte Original
GP: Girard-Perregaux
IWC: IWC - technically an abbreviation standing for International Watch Co., but IWC refer to itself as IWC, unlike most of the rest of the brands/companies which generally don't refer to themselves using these abbreviations.
JLC: Jaeger-LeCoultre
JR: JeanRichard
MB: Mont Blanc
ML: Maurice Lacroix
PAM: Officine Panerai; Sometimes it's used to mean Panerai Modello (Panerai model number)
PP: Patek Philippe
RL: Ralph Lauren Watches
TAG: TAG Heuer
UG: Universal Geneve
UN: Ulysse Nardin
VC: Vacheron Constantin

Specific watches
AT: Aqua Terra (Omega)
BA: Broad Arrow (Omega)
BB: Black Bay (Tudor)
BLNR: GMT Master II (Rolex) 116710 (from BLeu et NoiR)
CdC: Calibre de Cartier (Cartier)
DJ or DJII: Datejust or Datejust II (Rolex)
DRSD : Double Red Sea Dweller (Rolex)
DSSD: Deep Sea Sea Dweller (Rolex)
DSOM: Dark Side of the Moon (Omega)
EZM: Einsatzzeitmesser (which translates to Mission Timer) (Sinn)
EP: El Primero (Zenith)
Exp (or ExpII): Rolex Explorer (or Explorer II)
FOIS: First Omega in Space (Omega)
FF: Fifty Fathoms (Blancpain)
FFF: Fifty Five Fathoms (Seiko/Project Watch)
Ingy: Ingenieur (IWC)
LLD: Legend Diver (Longines)
MUT: Master Ultra Thin (JLC)
NSD: Navy Seal Diver (JLC)
PML: PanoMaticLunar (GO)
RO: Royal Oak (AP)
ROO: Royal Oak Offshore (AP)
GS: Grand Seiko (Seiko)
MC: Master Control (JLC)
PO: Planet Ocean (Omega)
PO LM: Planet Ocean Liquidmetal
PloProf: PLOngeur PROFessionnel (Omega)
RL: Richard Lange (ALS)
SD: Seadweller (Rolex)
SMP: Seamaster Professional (Omega)
Sub: Submariner (Rolex)
SubC: Submariner ceramic bezel (Rolex)
SubND: Submariner No Date (Rolex)
THC: Tudor Heritage Chronograph (Tudor)
Zero: Base model (Panerai)

Calibres and Movement Types
324 - Patek Philippe - automatic
2824 - ETA - a very commonly found movement that is recognized for its durability and reliability. It may or may not be altered by the company whose name appears on the watch's dial. Often if it has been modified, the company to whom the watch brand name belongs will also apply their name to the modified movement. Modifications can range from aesthetic decoration to enhancements to the mechanical workings of the base movement. Though this movement was originally designated as the 2824, ETA have updated it and assigned the updated version the indetifier 2824-2. (ETA make other movements and a Google search for ETA movements will produce multiple sites listing them and identifying the differences among them.)
2892 - ETA - a very commonly found movement that is recognized for its durability and reliability. It may or may not be altered by the company whose name appears on the watch's dial. Often if it has been modified, the company to whom the watch brand name belongs will also apply their name to the modified movement. Modifications can range from aesthetic decoration to enhancements to the mechanical workings of the base movement. Though this movement was originally designated as the 2824, ETA have updated it and assigned the updated version the indetifier 2892-2. The 2892 movement is generally seen as being a nicer movement than the 2824, but both are work horse reliable. Of the two, the 2892/2892-2 is more often used in watches that command higher than average prices. (ETA make other movements and a Google search for ETA movements will produce multiple sites listing them and identifying the differences among them.)
3155 - Rolex - date movement from 1988 found in Subs, President, and Seadweller
3130 - Rolex - dateless movement from 2001 found in Subs, Air Kings and Oyster Perpetuals
6R15 - Seiko movement with 21,600 BPH, hand-winding and hacking
- ETA - A movement formerly made by Valjoux, which is a company acquired by ETA, which is a member of the Swatch Group of companies. Typically this movement is seen in chronograph watches; however, it has also been used in novelty watches that display/perform various non-temporal actions. This is one of the non-manufacture movements credited with having a significant impact on the recovery of the Swiss mechanical watch industry's very existence after the Quartz Crisis, or as those from a different perspective call it the Quartz Revolution. This is another ETA movement once can expect to find in watches commanding very high prices. Today, one can buy this movement for about $700 USD. (ETA make other movements and a Google search for ETA movements will produce multiple sites listing them and identifying the differences among them.) Occasionally, one will see a movement identified as Valjoux/ETA 7750 -- for most purposes one can safely just think of it as an ETA movement.
7S26 - Seiko movement with 21,600 BPH, no hand-winding or hacking
8215 - Mioyta automatic movement with 21,600 BPH, hand-winding and no hacking
9015 - Mioyta automatic movement with 28,800 BPH, hand-winding and hacking
Auto: refers to the fact that this type of movement is powered by the force of gravity and motion to keep the mainspring inside the movement under tension. This is most simply imagined as a weight attached to a "string" and as the watch moves about the weight is "flung" and the motion and the mass of the weight makes it move much like a ball at the end of a string. Rather than being attached to a string, the weight is connected to the mainspring and as the weight moves about, it tightens the mainspring in the watch. As with a handwound watch, as the mainspring unwinds it transfers the energy stored in it to the various cogs and whatnot inside the movement and via those cogs connection to indicators on the face of the watch, one or more pieces of information is displayed on the watch face/dial.
Dopple: (German) double - refers to a watch having two, separate stopwatch mechanisms. Also called a Rattrapante chronograph. Sometimes imprecise speach/writing or confusion leads to a mixup between a Rattrapante and a fly-back chronograph. Though both can be used to measure elapsed and/or split times, the distinguishing factor of a fly-back chrono is that the elapsed seconds hand can be stopped, returned to zero and restarted "instantly" with a single push of a button. A Rattrapante chronograph will have a pusher located most often at eight or ten o'clock. That pusher returns the two hands to the start position.
GMT: Greenwich Mean Time (a watch movement capable of displaying time for at least two time zones)
HW: Hand wound - referring to the fact that this type of movemnt is powered by the gradual transfer of energy from a spring that has been tightened by the twisting motion of the watch's crown to the cog wheels that move various parts of the watch so as to display one or more pieces of information to the user. This abbreviation is applicable to mechanical watches, not quartz watches which are electronic in nature and powered via a battery.
MP: Moon Phase
OP followed by a Roman numeral (Panerai) - for example, OPXI. This is the syntax used to refer to the movements that are outsourced from another company (ETA, Zenith, JLC, Girard Perregaux, Soprod, etc) and found in Panerai watches.
P followed by a numeral (Panerai) - an in-house movement made by Panerai
PC: Perpetual Calendar
MR: Minute Repeater
SD: (Seiko) - Spring Drive - Spring drives are unquie movements produced by Seiko.Their key defiing characteristic from a user standpoint is that they are immensely more accurate than any other mechanical watch movement avialble up to now (Dec-2013), rivaling the accuracy of quartz watches, and cited by Seiko as being accurate to 1 second per day, though users commonly cite 1 or 2 seconds per week. From an engineering standpoint, spring drives are the only commercially available wristwatch embedded technology capable of truly creating a continuous movement of the second hand, instead of the traditional beats per time unit as seen in quartz or mechanical watches. Seiko achieved this by utilizing three kinds of energy to power the watch: mechanical, electrical and electromagnetic. Spring drive movements can be found in several lines Seiko offer: Grand Seiko, Spring Drive International Collection, Credor, Izul, Ananta and Prospex. They range in price today from a few thousand USD to over $400K USD.
Chrono: Chronograph

General
AD: Authorized dealer
AHCI: Académie Horlogère des Créateurs Indépendants (Horological Academy Of Independent Creators)
AR: Anti-reflective coating
ARFS: Letters found on many vintage watch movements. The letters stand for Adavance/Retard - Fast/Slow.
ATM: Atmospheres - unit of pressure equivalent to 14.696 PSI, used to determine water resistance. 1 ATM is normal pressure at sea level. 10 ATM is the pressure at 100m below sea level.
BHI:
British Horological Institute
BNIB
: brand new in box
BUMP: (or any capitalization thereof): Bring up my post - used when someone wants to raise their thread/post to the top of the forum's list of
CONUS: Contiguous United States
COSC - Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres - the Official Swiss Chronometer Testing Institute that certifies the accuracy and precision of wristwatches in Switzerland. Those that pass muster are designated chronometers.
Destro - any watch having its crown at nine o'clock instead of three o'clock
DLC: diamond like coating or diamond like carbon, depending on context.
FSOT: For sale or trade
GM: Grey market - a marketplace, often existing conceptually and only on the internet, in which retailers sell products (usually new) that they have obtained either from ADs or from the manufacturers themselves.
HEV - Helium Escape Valve - found on dive watches. Also sometimes called HRV (see below)
HH - Haute Horology; sometimes Foundation de la Haute Horologerie.
HRV: Helium Release Valve - a feature found on some diving watches.
JDM: Japanese Domestic Model - refers to a watch that was distributed for retail sale only in Japan.
LV: Lunette Verde - French for "green bezel." Sometimes one may see a Rolex model number followed by LV.
LNIB - Like new in box
MOP: Mother of pearl
NOS: New Old Stock - referring to a new (never owned by a consumer) watch that is from an old, often discontinued model or model line.
OEM: Original Equipment manufacturer
OHPF: On hold pending funds
OP: Original poster or original post, as appropriate per the context of the sentence.
PCL: Polished center links (referring to a bracelet on a watch)
PS: Private seller - an individual usually but never a GMS or AD. They are always selling one of two types of watches: legally acquired pre-owned watches or stolen goods. Few (if any) warrant the goods they have on offer.
PVD: Physical vapor deposition- technically one of several methods of vacuum deposition methods used to apply a thin, vaporized (during the aplication process) coating of a substance onto an object, usually a watch case and/or bracelet.
RG: Rose gold
SEL: Solid End Link - Solid end-links (the link that connects to the case and contains the spring bar) are often abbreviated as SEL and are normally a characteristic of more expensive watches.
SOTC: State of the collection
SS: Stainless steel
TT: Two-tone - referring to the colors of a watch case -- base case and/or bezel -- or bracelet, although a strap could also be two toned.
TTT: To the top - used when someone wants to raise their thread/post to the top of the forum's list of new posts or "today's" posts.
WIS - Watch Idiot Savant - a person who is "into watches" (not derisive)
WR - Water resistant, water resistance - a feature of a watch.
WRUW - What Are You Wearing
WUS - Watchuseek

Nicknames
Alpinist - Seiko SARB017 (also refers to other watches in the SARB range)
Batman
- Rolex Submariner BLNR having a black and blue bezel insert.
Black Monster - (Seiko) - a specific watch: the black dialed dive watch originally identified as a model SKX779. There are other watches made by Seiko and referred to as "Monsters." The current (Dec-2013) Seiko Black Monster is the SRP309. Seiko has discontinued the SKX Monsters, though they remain plentiful in the marketplace.
Bronzo (Panerai) - Pam 382 bronze, the first ever mass produced Pam made of bronze. It was launched as an special edition in 2012.
Coke - (Rolex) a specific watch - a Rolex GMT Master II watch haivng a red and black bezel insert. It was/is part of the Rolex 16710 reference series, though the bezel insert has its own reference number. The 16710 series were made from 1989 to 2007. They were replaced by the 116710 series.
Cocktail Time - Seiko SARB065 (and 066)
Connie
- Omega Constellation - a specific watch and a line
Cyclops - the magnifying glass bulge found above the date aperature on many Rolex watches
Emperor Tuna (Seiko) - a specific watch: Seiko model number SBDX011. It's a black automatic watch having a water resistance rating of 1000m
Fiddy (Panerai) - refers to Pam 127, the first 47 mm Luminor 1950 model that was launched in in the early 2000s. It was a special edition of 1950 pieces and has the number 1950 on the dial
Hammy - Hamilton - a brand of watches
Hulk - Rolex Submariner having a green dial and bezel (ceramic) insert, and with maxi markers on the dial. The reference number for them is 16610LV-002. This is the currently available edition. (Dec-2013)
Hummer - a type of watch movement used to describe tuning fork watches like Bulova Accutron, Omega F300hz, etc.
Kermit - Rolex Submariner having a green bezel insert and black dial with maxi markers. Also sometimes called the "vomit" sub. They carry the 16610LV reference number (? - this model may have had -001 after the base reference number). This is the 50th Anniversary edition offered in 2003 by Rolex in celebration of the Submariner's introduction in 1953. It is no longer offered on Rolex's website (Dec-2013).
Maxi - Rolex Submariner having larger luminescent markers and slightly bolder text specifying the depth rating and the term Submariner. All Maxi Subs are have a reference number following the patter 551x.
Nicky R - Nicolas Mathieu Rieussec - a 19th centery French watchmaker who invented, or at least obtained the first patent for, the chronograph watch.
Orange Monster - (Seiko) - a specific watch: the orange dialed dive watch SKX781 (2nd gen SRP309, 3rd gen SBDC023). There are other watches made by Seiko and referred to as "Monsters."
Pepsi - Rolex GMT Master II watch having a red and blue bezel insert. It was/is part of the Rolex 16710 reference series, though the bezel insert has its own reference number. The 16710 series were made from 1989 to 2007. They were replaced by the 116710 series.
Pre-V (Panerai) - refers to Panerai models issued prior to Panerai's having been bought by Vendome/Richemont. Pre-V models are distinguished by having model numbers longer than three digits, which is the current (Dec-2013) standard model classification method for Panerai watches.
Rootbeer - Rolex GMT Master II watch having any of several brown over gold bezel configurations, two common ones are the semi-circle design on the bezel insert and the all brown insert having gold numerals and set into a gold bezel.
Sapphire Sandwich - (Omega) An Speedmaster Professional with sapphire crystal (front & case back)
Speedy - Omega Speedmaster - a line of watches
Seamaster Great White - Seamaster GMT ref 2538.20 (no longer produced)
S-ling - Stuhrling - a brand nickname
Speedy Tintin - Speedmaster Professional with racing dial (year 2013) ref 311.30.42.30.01.004
Tuna (Seiko) - Any of several Seiko watches and/or versions of a given watch, all of which are dive watches. It's rumored that the name "tuna" came from the watches' case shape resembling a tuna can and because it was the first HEV-less watch capable of achievig a 1000m deep water resistance rating.
Vicky - Victorinox - a brand nickname

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I like it. If I can nitpick, I believe the 2nd generation Black Monster is a SRP307, and the SRP309 is an Orange Monster. Model numbers for the latest version are SBDC025 and SBDC023 respectively.

·
Premium Member
38,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it. If I can nitpick, I believe the 2nd generation Black Monster is a SRP307, and the SRP309 is an Orange Monster. Model numbers for the latest version are SBDC025 and SBDC023 respectively.
Nitpicking is good!

I'll update on one go when there have been more contributions and corrections.

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's cool, after all these years on the internet I never realised 'BUMP' was an acronym.

As for a suggestion, how about adding a Glossary of common watch collector words? Could be good to explain things like 'Complication' and explain what a 'Frankenwatch' is for people new to collecting. There are probably loads of others like Crystal and Bezel maybe, Perpetual Calendar, Crown, Hacking Seconds, and that's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there's more.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Wow, very informative, thank you. Excellent sticky imho. As for corrections and contributions, I'd like to participate:

I noticed a lot of Seiko stuff missing. For movements there are so many that I wonder whether they should all be added, but the more common mechanical ones popular in WUS like 7s26 and 6r15 deserve inclusion imho. Not to mention the higher end movements found in GS. Nicknames for popular Seikos include Alpinist, Cocktail, Monster (without the 'black'), Sumo, Shogun, Stargate, MM300, BFS, etc. Tag Heuer is also often referred to as TH instead of simply Tag. I personallly prefer this as at least the 'H' references Heuer. In the general section, High Accuracy Quartz- HAQ should be included i feel. That's all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Thanks...I agree, generally very informative.
Two nits for you, though. First, an acronym is a word made from initial letters or an abbreviation, for examples RADAR for Radio Assisted Detection And Ranging (I think), SONAR for Sound Navigation And Ranging. There are lots of others, of course. It's not another name for an abbreviation made up of initials.
Secondly, the German word for engineer is spelled Ingenieur, not Ingeniuer.

·
Premium Member
38,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First post updated with some of the suggestions. I haven't added them all in - I need to do some research myself. Keep them coming!

Thanks...I agree, generally very informative.
Two nits for you, though. First, an acronym is a word made from initial letters or an abbreviation, for examples RADAR for Radio Assisted Detection And Ranging (I think), SONAR for Sound Navigation And Ranging. There are lots of others, of course. It's not another name for an abbreviation made up of initials.
That's true. The thread is about both abbreviations and acronyms though - there are far more abbreviations than acronyms in the list I'll grant you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Isn't the Batman a GMT model Rolex, not a submariner. I think there is the batman, pepsi, and coke bezels in the GMT line. Thanks for the list. I have always wondered what WIS stood for but never asked for fear of looking ignorant. A lot of these were completely new to me as well. This is my first post, new to the website, really enjoy the site format and content. Great topics and dialogue.

Stewart

1 - 20 of 101 Posts