WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering about this since I ride a motorcycle... the vibration cant be good right. So I usually take it off and keep it in my breast pocket on rides.

What about other activities? Tennis, handling machinery/tools, even long standing typing?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Darn... I've got over 10000 Harley-Davidson miles on my two tone Sub., and it's never missed a beat. Better put it back in the box. ;-)

Reactions: drash11

·
Registered
162 Posts
riding a motorcycle of bicycle will cause NO damage to any movement. Its completely safe to wear a mechanical watch during these activities. Even riding on a mountainbike is completely safe, that is without falling on it. Its true Golf can harm a delicate movement such as a movement with many complications. Playing golf with a perpetual calendar is not something i would recommend. A Rolex should be fine, but with golf its more safe not to wear it. I think hitting something with any object is about the same thing.

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
Whenever I wonder about doing something with a mechanical watch on I just think "hey they used to do everything with mechanical watches before quartz" and I feel a little better, still haven't seriously damaged any yet.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Being me....at least if it is a vintage ordnance watch from the 40's. I got one of those couple of years back and I had to send it in for service twice inside of 4 months. The watch company I bought it from was great, fixed it up for free, but the second time it stopped working they told me that it had suffered some sort of trauma from significant force exerted upon it or something like that. I was simply wearing it on a semi daily basis and doing nothing more strenuous than shopping, browsing bookstores, sitting in a classroom and writing notes. But somehow I exerted so much force on it, the innards got all higgledy-piggledy and completely stopped working. Winding function was lost...everything.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I dont think mechanical watches are affected that much by vibration. The only thing I would worry about is falling off the motorcycle and landing on the watch. Which is entirely possible if I was the one riding.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Opening up the case, taking out the parts, and then throwing them away!

Reactions: drash11

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
My 1967 Norton Atlas and my 1968 Triumph Bonnevile will rattle the teeth out of your head but neither has ever adversely affected any of my watches.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
you guys are funny... jack hammering is probably the only thing you have to steer clear from.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts