WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for an Omega Seamaster (2594.52).

Do you folks have an AD referral who won't charge me the retail? I have read the forum and have seen posts wherein folks have mentioned that some ADs offer 20-30% discount.

Also, while looking on the web, I saw that jomashop is offering the watch in question at a discounted price. Since they are a grey market dealer, they offer 2 year jomashop warranty. They claim that serial number will be intact.

Assuming that I do not intend to resell this watch, would folks here advise me as to whether I should still purchase from jomashop or not? I might be missing to understand something else (servicing issues etc) if I don't go with an AD. Any pointers will be helpful.

Also, any other recommendations (grey market, AD) would be most useful.

Thanks,
Apul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Apul,

I am new to the forum, but I recently faced the exact same question.

I just purchased a Seamaster Pro from Greg at Turning Time #2541.80, it will be coming in tomorrow by UPS.;-)

To be totally honest I never really worried about the warranty that much, until after I had read several posts about it. I just figured with the cost and history of the watch they wouldn’t still be “Omega” without maintaining some of their quality and reliability. After getting some forum feedback, I still feel good about the brand.

To me these were the big factors:

To buy from AD:
  • You know everything about the watch history ( it’s real, Omega will service it for the warranty, etc…).
  • You get a watch without supporting the Grey market or other Non-AD groups.
  • Increases resale value
  • For some they like the feeling of exclusivity an AD purchase can provide. * Note: I am not knocking this, but for some it is definitely true they like for people to know what they buy and where it came from. Sometimes this seems to be more important than the purchase itself.
To buy from Grey or reliable used dealer:
  • Cost savings.
  • Sometimes they carry a much larger selection.
When I started looking this week for my watch I knew that the warranty to me was not the “end all, be all” part of the purchase for me. I mean if you really think about it we will all have to start paying for servicing after the 2 or 3 years anyway. And like you, I have no intention of getting rid of the watch. So by the savings I got I figured I could pay a couple hundred more and get two as opposed to the one from my local AD, which the closest was 3 hours away.

When I bought my watch I did not know of any particular AD that would discount Omegas, but if I were able to get the same deal through an AD I would go the AD route, why not it would be a factory warranty for free. I figure if I saved $300+ on my Grey watch it is just a gamble on whether or not I will have to pay that $300+ back for servicing before the three years are up or if I luck out and get a good deal. Of course the money saved will be turned back towards another watch in the future.

It seems the AD/Grey market question is the biggest question facing a new Omega buyer, behind of course what is your favorite style/color. Some play the Grey market card way to much for me though. I figure if Omega REALLY wanted to stop it they could. In the end it helps with sales.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed reply. Information about turning time was helpful as well.

Regards,
Apul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts