WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a BB58 from here and ended up sourcing the bracelet from a local AD I have purchased from in the past. In the process of installing the bracelet, he mentioned something about using a different type of springbar but I didn't think much of it at the time.

Well, went to change out the bracelet for a strap the other day and realized he had installed shoulderless spring bars in the bracelet. Does this mean I have to take it back in for them to remove the watch from the bracelet? If not, what's the best way for me to remove them?

I guess on the plus side, that means I don't have to worry about a spring bar popping out anytime soon :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
116523 Daytona, 16710 Pepsi, 16600 SD
365 Posts
Well wait, let me clarify something. The AD installed a spring bar without a shoulder, which I'm guessing you're referring to the prongs on either end of the spring bar you need for the tweezer to catch to squeeze either side of the bar to remove. Is this correct?

If so, you have larger problems than just bringing it to the AD. Those shoulderless spring bars are only to be used on watches with lugholes. Otherwise, there is no way to remove the spring bar.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well, trying to problem-solve out of the box, 2 things you could try to do to "create" a catch on the springbar tip:

1. Create a ridge with a tiny amount of fast drying contact cement.

Whether it bonds enough to stay in place when you try to compress it is anyone's guess tho.

2. Create a crease in the tip using a fine carbide tip screwdriver or something like that. If you are going to have to cut it out anyways this would be the 1/4 of the way mark to doing that, and you SHOULD be able to get a spring bar tool to catch in the edge enough to be able to compress it.

·
Registered
Patek Philippe 5960P, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Rolex 16570 Exp II Polar, Omega Speedmaster FOIS
2,166 Posts
That is quite shocking actually. Take it back to the AD and let them sort it out. Using dental floss isn’t something you should even have to do.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not. Unfortunately, consumers often know more than so-called "experts" these days. I recently went to a local motorcycle dealership to look at a specific bike and I figured out within 1 minute that I knew way more about the bike than the salesman. He was no help whatsoever. And again, I was not surprised. Part of me was pissed and the other part felt bad for the guy. If I end up buying the bike, there's no way I'm buying it from him.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That is quite shocking actually. Take it back to the AD and let them sort it out. Using dental floss isn’t something you should even have to do.
Yeah OP, this was a bad mistake by the AD. You need to take it back to them, make them fix it and make sure they don't do any damage to the watch in the process. I don't know how they're going to get these springbars off, but I don't see how they do without damaging the lugs.

After they fix it, never step foot in there again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Unless you have good tools and high confidence I would just take it to the AD to swap out the bracelet for the strap and use proper spring bars. That said, sounds like the AD technician/watchmaker isn't the most detail-oriented so I would be certain to mention that you want to ensure the inside of the lugs don't get marred up in the process (easy to do while you struggle with shoulderless spring bars in a case w/o lug holes).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well wait, let me clarify something. The AD installed a spring bar without a shoulder, which I'm guessing you're referring to the prongs on either end of the spring bar you need for the tweezer to catch to squeeze either side of the bar to remove. Is this correct?

If so, you have larger problems than just bringing it to the AD. Those shoulderless spring bars are only to be used on watches with lugholes. Otherwise, there is no way to remove the spring bar.
That is correct. He had said something about the spring bars I had on there when I came in with it (I bought the watch on a NATO, and it had regular spring bars) and that he would swap them out for "regular ones." Seems it was a dumb mistake to not question that, but I just assumed the AD knew what they were talking about. I honestly wasn't even aware that shoulderless spring bars were a thing.

Seems the consensus is that I need to just take it back and make them fix it. I can't think of any way that I could get them out without destroying the lugs.

·
Registered
10,777 Posts
Cool idea, but the big problem here is OP mentioned a bracelet, to which there is no gap..
I'm no expert and this has never happened to me, but it seems like there should be just enough wiggle room in there to thread the floss through with tweezers.

·
Registered
10,777 Posts
That is correct. He had said something about the spring bars I had on there when I came in with it (I bought the watch on a NATO, and it had regular spring bars) and that he would swap them out for "regular ones." Seems it was a dumb mistake to not question that, but I just assumed the AD knew what they were talking about. I honestly wasn't even aware that shoulderless spring bars were a thing.

Seems the consensus is that I need to just take it back and make them fix it. I can't think of any way that I could get them out without destroying the lugs.
The AD will fix it but you need to be there to supervise. Stands to reason there is going to be some scratching and some polishing and that will make a bad situation even worse.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
And:

If the AD installed your factory bracelet while using shoulder-less bars, he/she couldn’t have used a proper tool to keep the spring bars compressed until they were lined up with the holes -meaning- he let the insides of the lugs get scratched by each plunger as it slid over and into the hole. That’s a pretty minor item (unless you’re me). The much larger concerns are stated above.

Hopefully, there is more of a communication error regarding all of this than the sloppy nonsense that it appears to be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And:

If the AD installed your factory bracelet while using shoulder-less bars, he/she couldn’t have used a proper tool to keep the spring bars compressed until they were lined up with the holes -meaning- he let the insides of the lugs get scratched by each plunger as it slid over and into the hole. That’s a pretty minor item (unless you’re me). The much larger concerns are stated above.

Hopefully, there is more of a communication error regarding all of this than the sloppy nonsense that it appears to be.
Hadn't thought of that yet. I'm confused because the spring bars that were previously on the watch were normal and had shoulders, and I assume were the default Tudor springbars that came with the watch.

If I had any inclination that he was going to put springbars on that I couldn't get off on the watch, I would've told him to use the ones I already had. But as I said, I honestly was totally unaware that this was even a possibility of happening. I thought he was just going to put new, regular springbars on.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Hadn't thought of that yet. I'm confused because the spring bars that were previously on the watch were normal and had shoulders, and I assume were the default Tudor springbars that came with the watch.

If I had any inclination that he was going to put springbars on that I couldn't get off on the watch, I would've told him to use the ones I already had. But as I said, I honestly was totally unaware that this was even a possibility of happening. I thought he was just going to put new, regular springbars on.
Maybe a closer look will reveal small shoulders that a tweezer-type of tool can grab in order to remove the newly installed bars. It seems that there is some info missing here.

·
Registered
319 Posts
This reminds of my experience at Omega boutique a few years ago. I ordered a half link for my seamaster and I usually install these things myself since I have proper tools and I would tape the watch surfaces. The staff insist that they can do it in a few minutes and I would be on my way before I know it. Instead they spent 30 minutes trying to hammer a pin out, scratching the side of a link and dragging the watch across workbench multiple times before giving up complaining the previous techs didn't leave them with the correct tool.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm no expert and this has never happened to me, but it seems like there should be just enough wiggle room in there to thread the floss through with tweezers.
I'd be surprised and would love to be proven wrong. I mean, there really is hardly any gap between there:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe a closer look will reveal small shoulders that a tweezer-type of tool can grab in order to remove the newly installed bars. It seems that there is some info missing here.

Here's the back of the case for reference. There's a small little section where the wire from the spring bar shows, but there's nothing to grab it.

Compared to my GMT spring bars.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Oh boy. That's a mess, 100% the wrong springbar and they did a number on the underside of the lug trying to jam it in there. I don't see how this ends well. Not sure how they're going to get that out without using a Dremel.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts