WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Im about to join the rolex fold but have a final hurdle to clear...should i get my steel gmtii and pay the rrp at my local very friendly AD or should I save 10 percent at my even friendlier non ad web-based dealer?
The web chap is very long-standing and has a very good online reputation it seems, plus I am able to meet up with him at his London office and inspect the watch before paying (but obviously i have no real way of checking if he's replaced the movement with one from a cornflakes box!). Warranty is an issue though, I'm not sure if he can provide the rolex warranty or if it will be his own... I guess the latter, not even sure how it would work in the case of the former, e.g. How would i send the watch to rolex, i doubt he would do that for me like an ad would.
Final point about the AD , he was a little surly today when i asked his about a discount on the RRP, i suppose with the ceramic gmt's selling as they are he can afford to be, but still, not exactly the VIP treatment!
So my question, given all this and your own experience, what would you do? Thanks a lot for the time..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Tough one.

There's something special about establishing a relationship with your AD. However, it's more important to save a few bucks along the way.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, I umm'd and aah'd for a few days and finally went with....the AD! just got a little nervous and gave in to the paranoia. nontheless am delighted with the gmtIIc that adorns my wrist, lovely piece of horology and hope to be satisfied by it for years to come.

thanks

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
thanks for the reply, I umm'd and aah'd for a few days and finally went with....the AD! just got a little nervous and gave in to the paranoia. nontheless am delighted with the gmtIIc that adorns my wrist, lovely piece of horology and hope to be satisfied by it for years to come.

thanks
Congratulations! For a first Rolex, do believe that the AD route is the proper way to go!

mike.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
It always comes down to tolerance for risk: if something goes wrong, you may not like the non-AD's recourse. With Rolex, you know they will make it right.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Tough call..

All my Rolexes bought on the grey market I ended up selling them,and I mean all of them. The only one bought at my local AD with a mere 10% discount 3 years ago is still with me and there's a special feeling to it,I'll never let it go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all.
Im about to join the rolex fold but have a final hurdle to clear...should i get my steel gmtii and pay the rrp at my local very friendly AD or should I save 10 percent at my even friendlier non ad web-based dealer?
The web chap is very long-standing and has a very good online reputation it seems, plus I am able to meet up with him at his London office and inspect the watch before paying (but obviously i have no real way of checking if he's replaced the movement with one from a cornflakes box!). Warranty is an issue though, I'm not sure if he can provide the rolex warranty or if it will be his own... I guess the latter, not even sure how it would work in the case of the former, e.g. How would i send the watch to rolex, i doubt he would do that for me like an ad would.
Final point about the AD , he was a little surly today when i asked his about a discount on the RRP, i suppose with the ceramic gmt's selling as they are he can afford to be, but still, not exactly the VIP treatment!
So my question, given all this and your own experience, what would you do? Thanks a lot for the time..
First of all, if you are buying a brand new Rolex, it is really very unlikely to have problems within 1 year limited time.

Secondly, it is DEFINITELY worth of saving 10 percent.

If you are not sure, just go to a AD and sit and relax. Play the part of a genuine customer, and check the watch slowly. Check the weight in your hands. Wear and feel the comfort. Check the case, check every small number every small detail at the clasp, dial, case and strap.

Also TURN the crown 40 turns and set the time. AND LISTEN the movement sound at the AD.
If anyone will chance the movement it will DEFINITELY SOUND different than a genuine ROLEX movement which is very very identifiable. Best quality Folexes use ETA and ETA sounds different than real Rolex movt. Other movement Folexes already look quite different so it is hard to fake it.

Third and last thing is ALL ROLEX watches are only sold by ADs. So if it is a genuine piece, the grey seller probably will get it from an AD in a country where the Rolex turnover is higher with lower prices. Ads profit 25% and the grey sellers profit will be around %10 if it is a real piece.

There should be stamp of that AD on the card. SO you can record the name and research it on google and if all is good buy the watch next day. Another option.

One more thing: No matter from where you buy the watch, ALL ROLEXES either from AD or grey sellers HAVE WARRANTY at least 1 year in FULL internationally because every ROLEX is from an AD no matter where in the world. The Rolex buyers from overseas are more than local buyers cause of tax and price issues, so warranty should work everywhere.

Last advice is: Check the name surname and the name of the business on GOOGLE, so you can have an idea about the reputation of that grey seller.

I bought a brand new TT GMT for 8000usd in 2008 from a grey seller and saved around 2500usd dollars from AD, and in 2009 I sold it for 9000Aud as the prices increased.However I always took the currency to my advantage and in few months USD and AUD became equal as there were 60 percent difference. Hope that this can give an idea. If I will buy now, I will definitely go for 1 year old second hands or brand new from grey sellers, I wont touch even unless I get %10 at steel and %15 at TT. Currency ratios are also imporant.

If you mean buying online, I would never do that unless I buy from an Ebay Rolex seller with %100 feedback and few years history, but Ebay prices are higher than AD prices at some models like SS Submariner Ceramic.

Hope to hearing soon.
CHeers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hidden blades, thanks for the great advice. I wasn't sure if the rolex from the non AD would have a stamped warranty card or not, so thanks for clearing that up. My next purchase will probably be from a non AD , now that I feel a little more empowered.
In general though, i am so surprised by how firm the ADs I went to ( in London) were in not budging from RRP, I guess they don't need to...I even tried to get a symbolic 5% off but was met with a wall of indifference :)
Take care all

·
Registered
9 Posts
AD or not is up to you.

If you intend to build rapport with AD, then by all means, support the AD.

If you only buy watches based on price alone, then go non AD.

Personally, I've given up on the ADs in perth, and even in Singapore, if prices are not good enough, I go straight to non AD.

These days, preowned is the way to go to be honest.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts