WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to an authorized Breitling dealer today to look at the A. Seawolf, SO, and SO Fish. I was told by the sales clerk that the relief valves were for deep sea use. SHE said, in case I was deep down in the ocean inside a submarine and resurfaced my watch wouldn't explode. She said, "Most submarines don't go that far down (10K)". Maybe she meant if I was outside a submarine??? :-d

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Went to an authorized Breitling dealer today to look at the A. Seawolf, SO, and SO Fish. I was told by the sales clerk that the relief valves were for deep sea use. SHE said, in case I was deep down in the ocean inside a submarine and resurfaced my watch wouldn't explode. She said, "Most submarines don't go that far down (10K)". Maybe she meant if I was outside a submarine??? :-d
Actualy she was on the right track, however the relief valve is geared towards commercial divers who spend a great deal of time in diving bells. The air mixture they are exposed to contains helium which underpressure can get by the gaskets. As the diving bell returns to the surface, the helium gas is not able to escape back out fast enough which may cause the crystal to crack or popp off. When the internal pressure of the watch reaches roughly 3bar, the HE valve opens and vents out the helium gas.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,828 Posts
Well put G-shock,
Commercial deep divers will work for days on end in compressed gas environments. Typically sea moored oil rig maintenance staff work in those environments. This decreases the number of decompression cycles they have to endure. Each cycle carrying its own risks.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I saw a cool documentary about this sort of job. The guys were kept in pressure chambers on board a boat and then went down to work at depth in a diving bell that went from their chamber to a hole in the bottom of the boat (ship? I know they get touchy about the whole boat/ship thing don't they?!)

I had serious admiration for the guys and all that, but it was really funny seeing these big macho blokes talk about the risks of their jobs while sounding like they'd just sucked a helium balloon dry!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts