WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to ask this question because I have a few people that tell me to buy from from multiple places and I know there has to be Pros and Cons of each and wanted to hear what everyones thoughts are on this subject.

I have bought from the grey market before not knowing what that meant till after and my last couple of purchases have been from Amazon.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
One thing I have learned is that many times ADs can get very close( or sometimes better) to grey market prices plus you get a real warranty and typical better service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
For "new" (unworn) watches, there are ultimately 2 sources: ADs and Grey Market. New watches sold via Amazon may be either from an AD or a GM retailer. You would have to know the actual seller from which Amazon is sourcing the watch. New watches from eBay could likewise be AD or GM (though I'm not sure how many ADs sell new watches via eBay, or GM for that matter).

AD is generally more expensive, but you get the full factory warranty.
GM is less expensive (sometimes drastically so), but typically do not have the factory warranty. Many larger GM retailers offer their own, 3rd party warranty. A lot of pieces on the GM are New Old Stock (unsold leftovers from ADs)

Pre-owned watches are, as the name implies, pre-owned or used. If originally bought from an AD, there may be some remaining factory warranty depending on original purchase date and if the warranty is transferrable. They are likely to have some blemishes (dings and scratches) from being worn and used. Depending on the original owner, may not come with the "full kit" (box, papers, extra accessories, all of the bracelet links...) Generally cheaper than GM, but more buyer diligence required (buy the seller).

·
Registered
15,937 Posts
Majority of what I've purchased new have been grey/reseller for a good cost reduction, all with warranties. A handful of them (5 maybe, forgotten?) sent back to manufacturer for minor issues with all covered fully (no money from me). Those watches have been sold over time and no complaints from purchasers. That said, if there is very little difference in cost or something that can only be sourced from /through AD that's cool and I've purchased a couple of watches that way too. As always, ymmv . . .

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
All those outlets offer new watches. eBay has plenty of watch stores, including some who are AD's. To me, the biggest difference is how safe is your purchase if you find something wrong with the watch? AD is the safest - whether found brick and mortar, online, or via Amazon or eBay. Always read the fine print when doing your research. I can get a decent discount at my brick and mortar AD, but not as steep as Gray Market. Consider that GM dealers usually only carry stock that AD's aren't moving (selling) well. So, you're not always going to find the model you're looking for via the GM. eBay is good for finding watches that are foreign domestic market only (Japan for one). If your watch is sourced from a dealer located overseas, shipping times can be up to 4 weeks, depending on how they ship and how much time the watch spends in customs. You can often read reviews or contact these dealers to estimate shipping times before buying.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
One thing I have learned is that many times ADs can get very close( or sometimes better) to grey market prices plus you get a real warranty and typical better service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. Just grabbed a Hamilton for 30% off at an AD. Cheaper than anywhere.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
eBay can be great if you get New Old Stock from a seller that is an actual watch store. Check their store items and feedback rating for telling clues.
I bought a Zodiac watch for a 70% discount from the retail price - amazing.
Obviously, if there was a problem with the watch, that is a more tricky situation but as every private watch seller here complains, eBay is heavily biased towards the buyer, so while you may have some hassle, I don't think the actual risk is very high.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts