WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just inherited this “Addessi” watch from a family member that has passed.

Apparently it has been sitting in a safety deposit box for a few years. No info from the family.

From my research online I couldn’t find information about the manufacturer, history, current value, etc.

Anybody have information on this cool piece?

Want to make sure I’m not messing with anything historical before I send it in to get cleaned up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
Those Speidel stretch bracelets! It seems like everyone had their watch on one around 1960. I think a different strap would be an improvement.

Many watch and jewelry stores will buy movements and cases, and have dials printed with their name on it. It used to be the norm. Now that name-brands are more popular it's less common, but you can find store-branded watches in many established watch and jewelers even today ( I'm wearing one right now). I'd suggest that's the case here (and did they ever live near Ridgefield CT?):

It's not a bad thing, depending on the shop, they may choose high quality movements and cases. Sometimes it makes them more collectable (see Tiffany Rolexes). When you get it serviced or if you open the caseback (it looks like someone has tried and failed poorly to open the caseback in the past leaving those large radial scratches), get a good photo to post here, and/or ask the shop what kind of movement. Very possible it will be something respectable.

If you look around for "aquamatics" you will find similar watches as yours with different branding, most of them seem to be branded by Croton. That's probably where Addessi got their parts, although Croton was likely just getting their parts from Swiss distributors themselves, I don't really know much about them but they're still around (so is Addessi). Anyway you'll find out more when you look inside.

Definitely don't think it's safety deposit box material, but a cool and (with a service) wearable vintage watch.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,285 Posts
With a C-style case and those hands, I doubt that it is from 1964 - looks more like 1970 ± a few years to me. It's been sitting in a safety deposit box for years?! I wonder where the scratch marks on the case back came from then.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! Very helpful.

Yes it’s been sitting for atleast 30 years in a deposit box along with a few Seiko’s.

I think I’m going to get it serviced and then put a gray suede or red, matte gator strap on it (match date wheel). Thinking Jean Rousseau.

Will post some updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts