WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....it's been around 6 weeks or so of stalking WUS and then joining only to be hooked in. Not sure what facebook, words with friends, or even ebay is anymore. However....my phone and my tapatalk app has been seeing more action due to WUS than actually making calls on it!! I've loved and enjoyed watches, but all have been quartz thus far in my collection. Thus began my quest for the first mechanical.

My wife was making fun of me as I snapped pictures of the unboxing for the forum telling that that I wasn't this excited at our wedding. Ha!! All in good humor....I hope! But I was waiting on the UPS man like a kid trying to spot Santa! Here is how it came to be...

The conditions.
I wanted a dress type watch with little clutter. Sapphire crystal was a must and I lucked out by choosing a watch that did not have a butterfly clasp as I'm not particularly fond of them. After reading thread after thread of movements I came to the conclusion that everyone offered a great movement. The swiss in eta and sellita, the Japanese in orient/seiko in house movments, and the Chinese in sea-gull. I wanted to keep it swiss for my first and with all the talk about ETA, it was only fitting the brand I ended up with had that movement.
Date feature was a must and again I lucked out finding a piece that had the day without cluttering up the dial in my opinion.

The choices.
It was between a couple of watches.
Tissot- I currently have a PRC200 Chrono w/white dial. Love the Tissot brand and heritage. The vissodate was a top contender.
Christopher Ward- I came so close to pulling the trigger on the Harrison, however at 43mm it turned out to be too big for what I wanted to wear it for. Dress/weekend wear that could go with almost anything. 43mm to me was just a bit too "over the top" for my 6.5 inch wrist and as a dress watch. I then began looking at the Malvern C5 which I still will most likely own one thanks to the fantastic photography of the naf! I love the dial options. I wasn't fond of the round date window, but over a couple weeks time, learned to love it.
Bulova- The accutron GMT gemini was half the price of my $500 budget on ebay and I loved the black dial on black leather. Still on my list of watches to get.
And finally....Hamilton- There were a couple in the running until I found the silver dial jazzmaster automatic w/day date. It was gorgeous and I loved the day at the 12 o'clock position! At 40mm it was the perfect size. It had the ETA movement. It didn't have the butterfly. It had sapphire and the exhibition case back which was also a must have. And when I put it on....it was love!!

So here are the pics. And there's a twist. I now have another that's going to join the case within the next week!! The Orient Mako Pepsi Bezel!!
I'm officially addicted!!

So...without further a due....here are the shots of my and my new mechanical!! Thanks WUS for the unlimited information and suggestions and I can't wait expand my knowledge in finding new brands!

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh.... And I can't forget the Seiko sarb or the countless orients that I also considered. Will own both by years end!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Congrats friend . I must say awesome vintage/classic look for a dress watch. Excellent choice .
TZ.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
That is a beautiful watch! I am an admitted Hamilton fanboy, but I think you definitely made the right choice out of your options here. My next purchase before I start saving for my grail is going to be a dress watch, and this along with a number of other Hamiltons are in the mix. I love the retro feel of the Jazzmaster line, especially the more classic dials, like yours. For the price the fit and finish on Hamiltons are top-notch as well. Enjoy your Jazzmaster and thanks for putting up the pictures!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!! The addicted part is crazy true! Can't wait strap it on at the Heritage PGA event tomorrow....and......I just ordered an Orient Mako Pepsi!! I think these two will do me for a while!!!! LOL!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
nice watch! Love the sunburst dial...err...it is sunburst silver isnt it? or am i just getting old lol..

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Congrats on a fine watch!!! I love your Hamilton as it has the vintage 60's style hands and markers. BEAUTIFULL!!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Absolutely love it man! Congrats on a great watch. I am a Hamilton fan boy too and love my Jazzmaster. Yours makes me wish I went with the day-date rather than the Viewmatic but I am sure we are equally happy.

Enjoy that sweet watch!

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
That is a gorgeous Hammie! Look the vintage retro look.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys.... I couldn't be happier with my new timepiece!..... And my next one at that! The Orient Mako Pepsi is in the mail!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice watch! Love the sunburst dial...err...it is sunburst silver isnt it? or am i just getting old lol..
It's kind of sunburst.... Lol! It's a bold silver! It's a beaut! Tnx!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Absolutely love it man! Congrats on a great watch. I am a Hamilton fan boy too and love my Jazzmaster. Yours makes me wish I went with the day-date rather than the Viewmatic but I am sure we are equally happy.

Enjoy that sweet watch!
I also seriously considered the viewmatic! Also an excellent watch! I'm certain we are both loving our watches! Tnx!

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Pretty watch. You're off to a great start.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts