WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kinda started investing in watches before doing research (we all know about rolex, but I can't afford right now) and Ive spent probably around $4,000 on random fashion watches. I started out buying Armani exchange in the $100-200 range which turned into buying Bulova and Emporio Armani in the $300-500 range, and now I'm up to buying Gucci watches at around a grand a pop and looking at buying my first Versace. I just joined WUS and I see that fashion watches have a bad rap and I now feel like a bit of a fool. Anybody give me any idea if I wasted a bunch of money? I found out the hard way when trying to resell barely worn Armani and Bulova watches I grew tired of (I only got 1/4 what I paid) that this might have been a bad investment/hobby and thinking about giving up on watches. Ive seen some of the watches the forums advocate at my budget and they look a lot less fancy than the fashion watches I buy, but apparently its all looks and not much quality. I guess Im asking for a bit of an education on how to proceed on buying from now on, in the $1-2k price range. Should I just sell them all for a loss and save up for a Rolex? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
As long as you love your fashion watches, they are worthy to own. I wouldn't bother to sell all your fashion watch collections since they don't worth much anyway. If it is on your wrist to tell time and you like the style, the watch serves right purpose. Since now you are enlightened, I wouldn't invest more on fashion watches. Very soon, you will learn lots good watches out there that you won't need to spend premium price such as a Rolex to enjoy.

You enjoy wearing a watch, that is all that matter to us.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
It depends what floats your boat. Pure looks or heritage and design history with high tech research. Usually fashion brands go all for the looks and just use some movement (usualy higher grade) which is outsourced. Watch brands from the get go are usually more passionate about technical aspects, though they often make incredibe designs as well.

Frankly, i could never wear an "Armani" or "Gucci" branded watch. It just feels kinda cheesy and snobish. But i could easily wear Seiko, Orient, Steinhart, Tissot, Certina, Omega, you name it. Hell, even Rolex, despite being sort of up there with the fashion brands, it has some of the history and their own innovations with some really legendary model designs so yeah, even Rolex.

But if you feel good wearing fashion brands, why not. Most important is that you like your watches, little else matters (imo).

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
First off: No watch is an investment money wise. Investment in style, history, yourself: Yes.

If you bought watches because you like their design, you did good. If YOUR watch brand taste has "changed" to other brands - don't feel like a fool, feel as if you learned something.

I suggest taking one of them you like design wise, opening it up and removing the logo. Bingo! Understated cool watch without the mark you have grown to not like anymore.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,772 Posts
Yeah, I think you should collect and enjoy watches that you like. A collection of watches that only others like would get old very quickly and you would not wear them. Do as everyone on this forum does and collect watches that have features and the design that you enjoy.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Nothing wrong with how you started and nothing wrong with those watches. Quite a few of us started that way. My first watch was a Givency and I paid quite a lot for it and still have it. I am enamored with watches so I purchased those things that looked good. Nothing wrong with that as that is what I still do. Just now the price and "respect" for my purchases has gone up.

We "WIS" sometimes look down on fashion, but aesthetics is the first thing most of us see, followed by other factors. In-house, history, tool status, reliability, etc.

We then come here and buy what's popular. You mention Rolex. Guess what? Its also a fashion brand in some senses and MOST of the people that buy it buy it for status and fashion. We buy because of the history and reliability of the brand, but if it was never advertised like it is, it would not be as popular.

Breitling, Rolex and Omega and highly advertised as is Panerai and are fashion brands to some extent. Anyway, enjoy the hobby and how you've matured....

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just keep browsing WUS, pick up the watch snobbery, and soon you'll be on the road to WIS-dom, calling Tag Heuer a fashion brand and detesting the scum that is fashion watches :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
My first 2 watches were Fossil watches. One is from my now wife, so I will be keeping that one. If you like them, go for it. But don't buy on whims. I did and I wish I didn't. Sometimes patience is the best route (as hard as that may be).

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Welcome OP!!

I'd like to tell you a story...Back in April we had a local get together here in the DC area. I think there were about 15 of us. We had a table full of watches we were all sharing in a restaurant. This young guy comes up and announces,"Oh you all are into watches? Check this out! He then flings out a gigantic Invicta Lupah that looked something like this...

Now around here Invicta does not get the best treatment, but do you know what all 15 of those folks did? They nodded politely and murmured nice watch. No one tried to educate him or talk ed down to him, even though we had Breguets, Rolex, JLC etc etc etc. all over the table.

Point is, anyone into watches is cool in our book. We all have different tastes and like different things. Search for a "your favorite watch thread" and look at the differences. Enjoy your collection, learn more and see how it evolves. PS post up your favorites so far and now that you have had a little time around here what you are thinking of next. This lot of enablers will have your credit cards screaming in agony in no time!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
You're doing good and you don't need any help.
We're just... snobs.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I've seen some good looking Armani and one really cool Versace....you can be a "Fashion Watch snob"
it's O.K.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love the responses and appreciate the humor. You guys are great. I look forward to posting and chatting and getting to know you guys and hopefully learn from you. At age 34, I am trying to enjoy life's finer things, so im afraid becoming a "watch snob" and acquiring luxury timepieces sounds ideal to me. I enjoy learning about why things are unique and expensive so I don't regret purchases but like one poster said, I too have been my own victim of impulse buying. Thanks for all the posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
To be honest we all are all a victim of impulse. I know I certainly am dropping money here and there because we got a great deal. I think drickster's post carries the most weight. It is unfortunate that you've spent so much on them, imagine what you could have bought with that money!
Post a picture of them all. I want to see.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Nothing wrong with how you started and nothing wrong with those watches. Quite a few of us started that way. My first watch was a Givency and I paid quite a lot for it and still have it. I am enamored with watches so I purchased those things that looked good. Nothing wrong with that as that is what I still do. Just now the price and "respect" for my purchases has gone up.

We "WIS" sometimes look down on fashion, but aesthetics is the first thing most of us see, followed by other factors. In-house, history, tool status, reliability, etc.

We then come here and buy what's popular. You mention Rolex. Guess what? Its also a fashion brand in some senses and MOST of the people that buy it buy it for status and fashion. We buy because of the history and reliability of the brand, but if it was never advertised like it is, it would not be as popular.

Breitling, Rolex and Omega and highly advertised as is Panerai and are fashion brands to some extent. Anyway, enjoy the hobby and how you've matured....

Bingo. If you want to really get awat from fashion brand you need to forget about Rolex. I mean after Armani, Gucci and Versace, Rolex would the logical next step.

·
Registered
40,150 Posts
:think: I don't recall ever calling TAG a "fashion brand" and I don't detest them and I used to sell them,
like L/P Italy. Glad that Technomarine was pulled after the first 4 months, those I didn't like.
Just keep browsing WUS, pick up the watch snobbery, and soon you'll be on the road to WIS-dom, calling Tag Heuer a fashion brand and detesting the scum that is fashion watches :)

·
Premium Member
40,123 Posts
Welcome OP!!

I'd like to tell you a story...Back in April we had a local get together here in the DC area. I think there were about 15 of us. We had a table full of watches we were all sharing in a restaurant. This young guy comes up and announces,"Oh you all are into watches? Check this out! He then flings out a gigantic Invicta Lupah that looked something like this...

Now around here Invicta does not get the best treatment, but do you know what all 15 of those folks did? They nodded politely and murmured nice watch. No one tried to educate him or talk ed down to him, even though we had Breguets, Rolex, JLC etc etc etc. all over the table.

Point is, anyone into watches is cool in our book. We all have different tastes and like different things. Search for a "your favorite watch thread" and look at the differences. Enjoy your collection, learn more and see how it evolves. PS post up your favorites so far and now that you have had a little time around here what you are thinking of next. This lot of enablers will have your credit cards screaming in agony in no time!
What a refreshing post.

·
Registered
260 Posts
One thing you could decide to do is see which fashion watches you liked and try to find a higher quality equivalent before buying (for a similar price point). Most fashion watches are a bit "overpriced" for what they give you but not by so much that I would not buy/wear them proudly if nothing else beat the design. For example, I found this Boss watch that I really liked:

51mroK-38mL.jpg

Only problem was that it was a tad big for me (42mm) and mineral crystal. While searching, I found a watch I liked even better:

s_sarb065b_1024x1024.jpeg

Not the same, and a bit more pricey (Currently saving) but higher quality and I love it even more (currently grail status). Its not quite the same though, so had I preferred the Boss watch I would have worn it proudly as I have found nothing else that has that neat of a design (silver dial, blue second hands/submarkers/detailing that I enjoy). I am someone who thinks of watches as jewerly first, function second so I think their is a lot of unique designs to be had in the designer realm, since more "real" watch brands seem to be tied a lot to heritage/traditional designs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts