WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to stop buying watches with any disposable income I have. It seems to be an addiction of sorts. Perhaps I should start a national chapter of Watchaholics Anonymous? Anyone else have this issue?

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
That is why there is a forum...to enable you.

"Hi, My name is Glenmorangie77 and I have a problem not enough watches".

The great thing is to be cured albeit temporarily all you got to do is buy a watch.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you’re looking for sympathy in the real sense of the word, you’re in the wrong place. Enabling......that’s a different story. Enjoy the addiction. Could be worse, could be meth?!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If you’re looking for sympathy in the real sense of the word, you’re in the wrong place. Enabling......that’s a different story. Enjoy the addiction. Could be worse, could be meth?!
What'd you say about me?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If the watches you're buying are never enough, I'd suggest that the addiction is to spending, not to watches. Common problem. Don't worry, you're helping the economies of several countries, so keep going.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can't seem to stop buying watches with any disposable income I have. It seems to be an addiction of sorts. Perhaps I should start a national chapter of Watchaholics Anonymous? Anyone else have this issue?
Ok, so if you are looking for help, you probably came to the wrong place for sound advice. But I can tell you how I keep my 'addctions' like this in check. ( I am also into fishing so buying rods and reels and tackle can be expensive too) Now I may or may not make more money than you, but I have a savings goal every month which I use for investing into property or the stock market. Say my goal is 'X' dollars. Once I hit that goal, I allow myself to spend 10% of X to be used on watches or fishing gear or windsurfing or whatever I happen to be into. It works for me. Another thing I am pretty good at is if your not using it , get rid of it. Recently I had a boat i was not using and I sold it. I have a sports car I dont use so that is next on the chopping block. So , maybe get rid of the watches you dont use so you can keep saving money without spending all of you disposable income..
Also keep track of your purchases and sales (in a small notebook) so you really know how much money is pouring into your 'addiction. 'Addicts' tend to conveniently ignore a lot of the costs involved in their addiction.
A long time ago i went out for cofe on the way to work EVERY morning . I spent $2.25 on coffee every morning 5 days a week. Well I realized with the help of a calculator that adds up to about 600 a year plus a whole lot of wasted time. Well 600 is not alot of money but it is one month of car payment? or one nice seiko watch or whatever.
Anyhow , track your spending and make changes to you can save save save.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I could have a few more watches than I have right now but I reserve large purchases for milestones. My next one will be graduating university and finding a job. If you do something like this, you will work hard to reach your goals and milestones and feel rewarded. I'm assuming your feeling some guilt whenever you buy a watch right now.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I suffered from this affliction - it's very expensive! I suggest keeping a spreadsheet with your purchases (and sales?) and keeping an eye on the TOTAL amount. If you want more encouragement you could show it to your partner.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Used to feel addicted to buying, but now I could look without wanting to buy. I like what I have, I feel like (what) I have (is good) enough.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The reason for this is because we are always in pursuit of the perfect collection, and you are convinced the next watch you buy will be the last piece in the jig saw puzzle. On top of that there is the anticipation of waiting for the next watch to arrive, and then the pleasure of the unboxing. We all laugh about it, but the reality is that it is an addiction, and one that can be very expensive.

Reactions: shreddersc

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Being older than many members here, I'm kind of over the acquisition stage. However, that doesn't diminish my interest in watches or talking about them, just acquiring more watches (of course, I have about 15-16 so I feel pretty satisfied with what I already have). While I recently added a G-Shock square with solar charging and atomic timing, it was to replace a 40 year old Casio Marlin I wanted to retire. It was the price of a meal for two in a decent restaurant, not a heart stopping decision. ;)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sometimes I force a moment of reality. I remind myself that a watch is a stainless steel case, and inside it is a mechanism that moves two hands, which in turn tells me the time. It does 1% of what a mobile phone does, but often costs many times more. Of course, that moment of reality doesn't last long, but quite often stops me spending money I haven't got.

Reactions: CSG
1 - 20 of 52 Posts