WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just purchased a Citizen Eco Drive Bj9031-58E off of the sales forum, and I can't figure out how to set the GMT hand. I tried using the date slot on the crown and by turning to counter clockwise, I am able to adjust the main hour hand by one hour intervals, but the GMT hand stays still. Is there another trick to this, or is there no quick set way to set the GMT hand. Thanks very much, and forgive my ignorance, this is my first GMT of any kind.

Matt

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
Hi I just purchased a Citizen Eco Drive Bj9031-58E off of the sales forum, and I can't figure out how to set the GMT hand. I tried using the date slot on the crown and by turning to counter clockwise, I am able to adjust the main hour hand by one hour intervals, but the GMT hand stays still. Is there another trick to this, or is there no quick set way to set the GMT hand. Thanks very much, and forgive my ignorance, this is my first GMT of any kind.

Matt

Nice watch. This an Asian market GMT Eco-Drive with sapphire crystal. You may want to try the setting instructions for your caliber B876 movement Citizen:

http://www.citizenwatch.com/Technical/English/Full/B876_ebook.pdf

Further technical reference for caliber B876:
http://www.citizenwatch.com/downloads/techguides/B876.pdf

hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much. I didn't get any papers with it. I should have known that I could have found the manual online.. Duh. Thanks very much again for the help!

·
Registered
153 Posts
As you've discovered, it's the main hour hand that does the adjustment for the 2nd timezone. The theory is that as you travel, you adjust the main time to your location while the GMT hand records "home" time (the time where you came from).

The only thing I wish is that the hour hand would be bi-directional to account for going backwards (or returning home) rather than just moving in one direction, but Citizen must have felt that a quick set date feature was too important to give up.

Matt

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
OT a bit from OP,but i find Citizen's instruction manuals hard to follow,or it could just be me..I am new to Citizen watches so it takes a bit of getting use to,but holly cow i had easier time with my T-touch watches.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
OT a bit from OP,but i find Citizen's instruction manuals hard to follow,or it could just be me..I am new to Citizen watches so it takes a bit of getting use to,but holly cow i had easier time with my T-touch watches.
for some models they have easier instruction guides with photos and/or interractive guides with animation and narration.

From the point of view of technical writing, I think their manuals are well written. It is just that some of their watches have tons of features and some are complicated to set. Its the watch, not the manual if you will.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
does the chapter ring turn? If so then there would be no need to adjust the GMT hand as the chapter ring can be set to a specific time. then again I guess you can do the same thing with the bezel right?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a Citizen with this movement, and it is not obvious how to set it. First up -- there is no quick set for the 24-hour hand. I'm sure you've worked it out from the manual, but for anyone else wondering, the full sequence to initially set the time/date is :

1. Unscrew the crown
  2. Pull the crown to the second ( final, fully extended ) position
  3. Wind clockwise to set the 24 hour hand. I always set mine to GMT, but it is preference.
  4. Continue winding to set the minute hand
  5. Push the crown to the first position
  6. Wind clockwise to set the 12 hour hand. You are best advised to rotate the 12 hour hand at least full revolution of the dial to determine whether you are setting the 12 hour hand in the a.m or p.m by watching if the date changes.
  7. Finally, with the crown still in the first position, wind anti-clockwise to set the date
  8. Push the crown in and screw-down
Once you have the date and 24 hour hand set, you can quick-set the 12 hour hand ( and date if necessary ) from the first position when you travel.

TT

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am confused about setting the 24hr hand. #4 says to continue winding to set the minute hand but, why does that not just further adjust the 24hr hand?

·
Registered
59 Posts
In my understanding it is just like setting the time on a normal, 12-hour, watch: you first turn the crown fast until you have the hour hand near the right hour, then go on slower until the minutes are precisely set.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes, it took me a bit to understand that adjusting the hour hand is more like click stopped than linear adjustment. I had not been turning the crown sufficient to see a change. I may slow but, i'm accurate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts