WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whilst working my way through a large box of WW1 era wristwatches I encountered this one. Very nicely engraved movement - but balance staff and hs dead. It's possible from the case screws that this wasn't the original case. No reference to this movement on the Ranfft site as far as I can detect and only one example in the Paulson catalogue - and not this one. Approx 28mm (12.5L) movement. I believe that Admiral was a brand owned by Tavannes. Case markings indicate London import by William Henry Sparrow but the date stamp appears to be a serif "i" which I can't identify (23/24?). I think that it would be worth restoring - in the unlikely event that I could obtain a balance assembly.
Anyone recognise it? If not I'll remove the dial and put a snap of the other side up.
Roy

Admiral-Schwarz-3140014.JPG

Admiral-Schwarz-3140015.JPG

Admiral-Schwarz-3140016.JPG

·
Registered
990 Posts
It's probably more common than you think. I'd look for a parts watch to see if you can fix it. There's a 0s one on Ebay but it looks like it also has a broken balance staff.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron
I'm a bit swamped with watches from this era needing repairs small and large. I'll take a look for parts for this one - it's the only example I have whereas Schild and Fontainmelon movements abound. I also have a beautiful "Land and Water" (Borgel style) example with a clean Zenith movement. Lacks the outer bezel that seals the case and also the inevitable stem. I hate seeing watches of this era abandoned - not least because I feel that they're going to climb in value as the numbers decline.
Roy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts