WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thought it would be fun to start a thread that is somewhat opposite of the franken thread, that highlights and appreciates fine Soviet and Russian pieces found on the web, but not necessarily in your personal collection. The fact is Russian/Soviet watches have increased in price quite a bit so there are some very unique and interesting pieces out there that may be beyond many of our means, but I thought it might still be fun to highlight them and have a conversation about them.

To kick things off, I wanted to show this Officer's Award Pavel Bure that has been on ebay for a while. It seems dropped dead gorgeous, fully 14k pocket watch, with excellent detailing of the royal court seal and a professionally well done inscription (something that I've found is quite rare with Russian pieces in general for some reason - inscriptions aren't done well and many seem sloppy, this one seems perfect).

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Spotted this stunning example on a Russian craigslist site of a military issue pilot watch based off the one button chronograph movement:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Spotted this stunning example on a Russian craigslist site of a military issue pilot watch based off the one button chronograph movement:
That one is a Grail watch - modified valjoux 61 movement apparently. There is a homage project in progress through the watch.ru forum (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/reissue-rare-soviet-pilots-1mwf-100-le-pieces-937903.html). What I would give to get my hands on one of those and its chronograph sibling (photo is from Misrob's collection) image-723139413.jpg . These rarities are from an older thread. image-1408064442.jpg image-365325324.jpg

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Reactions: Chascomm

·
Registered
10,747 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
What is that? When was it made?

(I now want to refer to all GMT watches as "Grinvich" watches :-d)
Very strange dial, because:
1) Ohotsk is small "town type settlement" (just not a town!) in Habarovsk region ("Habarovskiy kray"), and Magadan is much bigger city in the same (msk+8) time zone.
2) Since 1956 Ohotsk and Habarovsk are in one time zone (msk+7).
3) Gorky is written as "ГОРЬКИИ", but correct is "ГОРЬКИЙ" - in russian we newer use "И" instead of "Й", this is different letters!

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,112 Posts
1) Ohotsk is small "town type settlement" (just not a town!) in Habarovsk region ("Habarovskiy kray"), and Magadan is much bigger city in the same (msk+8) time zone.
3) Gorky is written as "ГОРЬКИИ", but correct is "ГОРЬКИЙ" - in russian we newer use "И" instead of "Й", this is different letters!
This makes me even more curious to know the story behind this watch. Is it an authentic late 1950s product (it looks like it is derived from a Shturmanskie/Sportivnie) or is it a modern creation based on vintage parts?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
What is that? When was it made?

(I now want to refer to all GMT watches as "Grinvich" watches :-d)
Grokiy was always on the Moscow time. Stalinsk is a small town known now as Novokuznetsk in Kemerovo district....It is a fantasy watch made to sell to ignorant folks.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,112 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
So if I understand this thread correctly, this world-time-Sportivnie thing is in the collection of a respected Russian collector of pristine Soviet watches, and yet it has several technical errors which reveal it to be a custom-built fantasy piece based on parts of a 1950s watch? :think:...
Perhaps some dial from the same famous workshop in Bulgaria, which issued those white Bocmok, Pakema, and Kocmohabt which writing included tiny rockets or the like?

Reactions: Chascomm

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
So if I understand this thread correctly, this world-time-Sportivnie thing is in the collection of a respected Russian collector of pristine Soviet watches, and yet it has several technical errors which reveal it to be a custom-built fantasy piece based on parts of a 1950s watch? :think:...
Another soviet watch mystery. Nonetheless, it is a looker.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Perhaps some dial from the same famous workshop in Bulgaria, which issued those white Bocmok, Pakema, and Kocmohabt which writing included tiny rockets or the like?
would you enlighten me on this 'famous shop', never heard about it before and am kind of curious.

1 - 20 of 448 Posts