WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

401 - 420 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Does German242 only allow registrations from that part of the world (I don't mean Germany :-d)?
I wanted to sign up but sadly I'm not receiving any kind of confirmation.

There are some great watches popping up that I am interested in! :-!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Is it just me, it's because of light reflections, or is it a rounded lugs case? :think:

If so, then this would most likely be a late redial of a much earlier example (a Cyrillic Strela model perhaps?) -in other words, a franken.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Is it just me, it's because of light reflections, or is it a rounded lugs case? :think:

If so, then this would most likely be a late redial of a much earlier example (a Cyrillic Strela model perhaps?) -in other words, a franken.
I would hope it is original for $1,300+ although they do state "authenticity guaranteed".
Who knows if the lugs are rounded...the other images on their website are extremely small so you can't see much.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I would hope it is original for $1,300+ although they do state "authenticity guaranteed".
Who knows if the lugs are rounded...the other images on their website are extremely small so you can't see much.
Looks like a beveled edge case to me. In any case, $1,300 for a Sekonda 3017 is nuts, no matter how good of condition.

EDIT: Maybe not a fully beveled edge -- on further review, it struck me just how rare those truly are. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/early-1959-strela-2619354.html

Only Comrade Ham2's extremely low serial number 1959 Strela has the fully beveled lugs in this thread. Additionally, my 1959 Strela (sn 00930) has the narrow, but not beveled, lugs. I'm thinking that the likelihood of someone stumbling across a fully beveled case, and using it as a replacement, are quite low.

Between the "slightly rounded" and fully square lugs, it is almost impossible to discern by photograph, I think.

Strela Lugs.jpg

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I might be mistaken, but the beveled edge style (as named above) isn't the rarest of the three; just saying, in my humble collection alone I have 4 examples with it and, altough for sure I wouldn't describe it as "common", I wouldn't call it a grail either. While, for instance, despite a few years spent paying deep attention and studying (big word!...) every Strela I could find on the net, I think I've never encountered a slightly-curved edge style (or maybe I too am unable to identify one in a photo :-( ).

This is to say that -assuming that the one we are seeing is actually a beveled edge case, which is far from having been proven- my theory is that it wouldn't be a Sekonda 3017 frankenized using a rare-but-not-so-rare-after-all older case, but rather the other way 'round: an earlier model brought to new life with a '70s dial and paddle hands. Alas, I can't find the website mentioned by comrade 24h, I would really like to give a look at the other pictures...

Anyway, this discussion is just an exercise of style: 1300+ bucks IMHO would still be excessive for a NOS example with papers, for this price I bet this piece will stay there forever. :-d

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I might be mistaken, but the beveled edge style (as named above) isn't the rarest of the three; just saying, in my humble collection alone I have 4 examples with it and, altough for sure I wouldn't describe it as "common", I wouldn't call it a grail either. While, for instance, despite a few years spent paying deep attention and studying (big word!...) every Strela I could find on the net, I think I've never encountered a slightly-curved edge style (or maybe I too am unable to identify one in a photo :-( ).

This is to say that -assuming that the one we are seeing is actually a beveled edge case, which is far from having been proven- my theory is that it wouldn't be a Sekonda 3017 frankenized using a rare-but-not-so-rare-after-all older case, but rather the other way 'round: an earlier model brought to new life with a '70s dial and paddle hands. Alas, I can't find the website mentioned by comrade 24h, I would really like to give a look at the other pictures...

Anyway, this discussion is just an exercise of style: 1300+ bucks IMHO would still be excessive for a NOS example with papers, for this price I bet this piece will stay there forever. :-d
The website is called SovietCaliber.com and most watches are extremely overpriced. $3,500 for a Strela 3017...
Great pictures though - I wish they were larger.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The website is called SovietCaliber.com and most watches are extremely overpriced. $3,500 for a Strela 3017...
Great pictures though - I wish they were larger.
I think that site has come up before. Nice stock, but what they are asking price-wise is so far above any reasonable market value that I fear they are just seeking to take advantage of people.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I think that site has come up before. Nice stock, but what they are asking price-wise is so far above any reasonable market value that I fear they are just seeking to take advantage of people.
I just paid it a quick visit. Pro photographs, layout. Munich show-room — hmm... on appointment only. “Private” boutique.

Just a shrewd antiquary, asking but the price his kind of patrons are willing to pay. I’ve seen the type... These do not lurk here, being too busy making dough. They may be in a sort of peeing contest with equally wealthy friends. The high price tag, probably stapled on a beautifully decorated “certificate of authenticity”, the “exclusive” show-room are part of their game. Bring the price down, and some clients just won’t buy: suspicious, or not exclusive enough... Note some of these will be purchased as gifts to influential contacts, so the prestigious certificate becomes a must.

I’d bet on a good proportion of “New-Russians” among these patrons, but probably not exclusively. Haven’t we heard recently of some mister M., who paid five zeros to some NYC “designer” for a horribly tacky ostrich jacket he could have had for a couple grands in Vietnam (where it well may be actually made)? A New-Yorker alright, but it seems dear Paul caught some bad habits with Eastern friends known for their gold johns...

Anyway, I won’t blame such a seller, and won’t label all his clients as suckers only.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts

got to agree with Comrade Straight_time - it is most likely an early Cyrillic dial model (S/N 01111) redialled with a shiny newer Sekonda dial and hands

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
got to agree with Comrade Straight_time - it is most likely an early Cyrillic dial model (S/N 01111) redialled with a shiny newer Sekonda dial and hands
Seen the movement shot; unfortunately I just can't figure out the factory logo, but the chrono bridge has the Cyrillic "19 камней" marking: no way it could still be in use in the paddle hands era.

401 - 420 of 448 Posts