WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

421 - 440 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Haven’t we heard recently of some mister M., who paid five zeros to some NYC “designer” for a horribly tacky ostrich jacket he could have had for a couple grands in Vietnam (where it well may be actually made)?
OT- a quality ostrich strap (not a high-end one) easily costs in the $120-150 range... if you can find a new, genuine jacket for a couple of grands anywhere it would be worth purchasing, imagine the profit by tearing it apart and making straps out of it. :-d

Seriously: I'm no American so I googled to find press reports and know who this Mr.M was... I won't discuss his tastes (nor his legal or illegal activities), but if you go walking on a fashion street next to you (for me it's Via Montenapoleone in Milan) you'll easily see that $15k for certain clothing items isn't an outrageous price tag; for instance, in other sections of this forum a $25k watch would be pretty ordinary, or else, generally speaking, a $200k sports car or a $2M house make no scandal.
Not your cup of tea maybe (surely not mine), but using such an argument to try and "shock the masses" is just poor journalism, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
OT- a quality ostrich strap (not a high-end one) easily costs in the $120-150 range... if you can find a new, genuine jacket for a couple of grands anywhere it would be worth purchasing, imagine the profit by tearing it apart and making straps out of it. :-d

Seriously: I'm no American so I googled to find press reports and know who this Mr.M was... I won't discuss his tastes (nor his legal or illegal activities), but if you go walking on a fashion street next to you (for me it's Via Montenapoleone in Milan) you'll easily see that $15k for certain clothing items isn't an outrageous price tag; for instance, in other sections of this forum a $25k would be pretty ordinary, or else, generally speaking, a $200k sports car or a $2M house make no scandal.
Not your cup of tea maybe (surely not mine), but using such an argument to try and "shock the masses" is just poor journalism, IMHO.
I was deliberately provocative, and surprised I had no reaction so far :)
Note here we’re not into journalism, just BBS, but I’ll settle for intentional Gonzo-ism...
As for Milan (as I’m not American, just Transalpino) anyone wearing that precise jacket (google it out—it’s worth the search!) by the Duomo would pass as either a (beginning) pimp, or just a buffone. So, not a question of money, but of will to show off one’s wealth through bling.
Beside, my only intent was to stress that “exclusive” antiquaries have a different patronage, and I did grant them the right to hike the prices how much they seem fit.
Finally, I reckon that, if you go straight to the manufacturer, a quality ostrich strap, full grain, from a long reputed German maker so full EU norms, will cost you about $ 55. Half that price if grainless, smooth. The same if signed JLC? Up from $ 250, of course.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Of course when I mentioned "poor journalism" I was referring to those few articles I read (the first 2 or 3 returned by the google search), which invariably pointed out mainly at the jacket's price -as if that was the real scoop, and in Mr.M's case there wasn't anything more serious to write about.

I said I wouldn't be discussing that guy's tastes in clothing and I'll keep my word; but please, comrade, be so kind to exempt me from googling the jacket... I'll go out for dinner in a while, and I fear more pictures of it could seriously affect my appetite. I'm sure you'll understand. :-d

Thanks for the hint about ostrich straps; I reported the prices I saw online from a couple of different producers (in physical shops I expect them to be much higher, of course), glad to know that they can be also found for a more affordable amount. ;-)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
(...) I'll go out for dinner in a while, and I fear more pictures of it could seriously affect my appetite. I'm sure you'll understand. :-d

Thanks for the hint about ostrich straps; I reported the prices I saw online from a couple of different producers (in physical shops I expect them to be much higher, of course), glad to know that they can be also found for a more affordable amount. ;-)
Buon appetito! :)

Strap: Di Modell brand, from an eBay shop in Latvia—excellent service, btw. The band is really just as good, if not better (micro-perforations on the underside), as one I had which came on a JLC Heraion.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Very cool, but the seller is certainly asking too much for the watch. $350 :think:
Cool, but bizarre design once detailed. The cosmonaut is looking out, back through the past (darkly...), and away from the star. Jungian.

The Автоматический bothers me: no two identical “и“ (hand painting or poor printout?), and it sounds strange on a watch.

The tick marks, at 5 per second, may be too much for the humble beat rate...

Now, it does look nice overall, and I really like the bracelet.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,112 Posts
The tick marks, at 5 per second, may be too much for the humble beat rate....
Well to be fair, the Vostok ticks at five and a half per second. Why has nobody designed a dial for that?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well to be fair, the Vostok ticks at five and a half per second. Why has nobody designed a dial for that?
Meaning 2 1/4 tick marks/second? A true swing beat... :)

Some do think of such details. I just checked the dial on my new Marloe watch, which I purchased in part for its Miyota 8N33 (21,600 bps). Now I understand it’s easier with this rate, but it does have three tick marks per second. Else? Don’t clutter the dial, just leave a nice clean railway track...

Btw, this whole Coniston watch is full of such tiny attentions — lots of little gray cells spent on it. Most are undocumented in their sales pitch, so I discover them little by little, like the display back with a slightly curved crystal.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Cool, but bizarre design once detailed. The cosmonaut is looking out, back through the past (darkly...), and away from the star. Jungian.

The Автоматический bothers me: no two identical “и“ (hand painting or poor printout?), and it sounds strange on a watch.

The tick marks, at 5 per second, may be too much for the humble beat rate...

Now, it does look nice overall, and I really like the bracelet.
You would rather have: ?

vostok_gagarin.jpg

I think the number of tick marks was a design decision, rather than to serve a functional purpose. Both look good but I prefer the original :-!
You would know better than me, but all the translations on Google and Yandex return "автоматический" for automatic.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You would rather have: ?

View attachment 13866989
Yes. With (imagine) a railroad narrow track joining the ticks.

I think the number of tick marks was a design decision, rather than to serve a functional purpose. Both look good but I prefer the original :-!
You would know better than me, but all the translations on Google and Yandex return "автоматический" for automatic.
I understand the ticks, but design without a purpose is no design but empty decoration to me :)

Google-bot (or Yandex–who scavenges whom beats me...) is the bother. One watch in Russian is a plural — часы. And adjectives in Russian take on the gender and/or plural of the noun. So, АвтоматическиЕ would be correct as an adjective, if uncommon: see Автоподзавод (auto-auxiliary-winding), noun not adjective, on most Vostok.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I understand the ticks, but design without a purpose is no design but empty decoration to me :)

Google-bot (or Yandex–who scavenges whom beats me...) is the bother. One watch in Russian is a plural — часы. And adjectives in Russian take on the gender and/or plural of the noun. So, АвтоматическиЕ would be correct as an adjective, if uncommon: see Автоподзавод (auto-auxiliary-winding), noun not adjective, on most Vostok.

106594300.jpg

:think:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Thanks: so, not that uncommon, but imho strange indeed. Automatic implying “mechanism” instead of watch, I suppose.

While at it, I notice the rocket looks like a decal applied on the dial, as is the cosmonaut’s head in the watch above. Same period of manufacturing might explain both features — I mean wording and image.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
An absolute at the listed price of 4000 dollars thats only a grand a number (ignore the 150 ruble price tag literally still attached to the watch). Shipping is only 90 dollars to canada apparently from where the item is currently located in Pennsylvania.
So, mining is really back in Pennsylvania! Though, this one miner probably fancies he’s in Yukon...

421 - 440 of 448 Posts