WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... they pull out their white jeweler's gloves to show you a watch.

Gloves being pulled straight from their pocket which is probably full of all manner of grit, the watch may already be covered in plastic so the gloves are moot, they hand the watch to my bare hands. It's a watch not kryptonite, not sterilized medical equipment, it's designed to be touched by skin.

What are your pet peeves at your stores?

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
The only pet peeve I have is the higher than desired MSRP's, which affect what I pay no matter the discounts . . . .

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
The only pet peeve I have is the higher than desired MSRP's, which affect what I pay no matter the discounts . . . .
Exactly....and the main reason I rarely buy at an AD, except occasionally online at a steep, make that VERY steep discount.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
its fine, they are showing you that they care enough to wear gloves so as to not touch or put their prints on something you may buy, its a gesture of respect and care.

There is more oil and dirt on your fingers than is grit on their gloves, but they are willing to give you the watch to handle and are willing to wipe THEIR unsold inventory down after you walk away without a purchase after smudging a dozen watches. Give them a break man, its a tough enough job as it is.

·
Premium Member
38,928 Posts
No hate here, only ambivalence.

As you mentioned in the OP you don't think there is much difference between your hands and his gloves (though others suggest differently), so why let it bother you. You are also making the assumption that his pocket is probably full of all manner of grit. Why would it be? Mine certainly aren't.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I should I have been clearer in my OP - it's the pomposity of the process I dislike. And I don't believe for a second that shop staff are showing me watches with a genuine love for the piece. It's their job the main duty of which is to present watches to customers who may or may not buy.

You may be right about the dirt and oil on my fingers but I stand by the dirty pockets. Unless their suits are being dry cleaned after each wear then their keys, their wallets, their hankies, their hands and whatever else they're putting into their pockets is transferring dirt and grit, at the very least at a microscopic level, which is then transferred to the gloves. Reminds me of when I used to do photography, the Pec Pads used to clean sensors and lenses were single use only cleaning cloths. We'd cringe when we see an amateur pull out a reused a microfibre cloth to clean lenses.

Anyway, this thread should probably have better been titled pet peeves about ADs and boutiques. So post away.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I know you're trying to move the thread along, but regarding the gloves...

Look at it this way; if they didn't use gloves, there'd be an outraged poster exclaiming how he can't believe ADs handle expensive watches with their grubby, oily hands.

At least they're making an effort to maintain the integrity (and expectations) of a "luxury" purchase. Whether it helps protect the watch or not, I'd rather they err on the side of "too much" rather than "too little".

·
Registered
395 Posts
What I really hate is when they put the glove on and then proceed to wipe the watch down which only scratches the watch.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
What are your pet peeves at your stores?
People who walk into stores thinking they're better than the guys working there, who rhen proceed to go online making pompous threads about them.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Have some fun!
I'm always very courteous to clerks (I was one in a previous life) but I accidentally did something once that I now continue all the time.
After the clerk brings out some watch with the solemnity of unearthing a holy relic (which I do appreciate) I love to peel off a well loved Omega or Rolex and unceremoniously plop it face down on the counter (directly on the glass). Almost every time the poor clerk will ever so carefully pick it up and place it gently face up on the counter mat. But in his mind he's thinking "OhmyGod - I hope he doesn't do that to the XXX I just handed him. How will I intercept him? "

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
General ignorance about the product they are attempting to sell. And still worse, complete confidence in the factuality of complete nonsense.
This truly drives me crazy!

I also dislike when I am looking for a specific model or company, and while they do not carry it they try to redirect me to another model/company that has no similarities to what I want.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Sometimes I just like to window shop so to speak without having any thoughts of a purchase but staff sometimes in their zeal to make a sale tends to make me a bit uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Just had this happen to me.

I picked up my Panerai from the service at an AD, I was wearing my Grand Seiko Snowflake. I decided to wear the Panerai on the spot (Hey, I was a part from it for good 2 months), and the salesperson picking up my snowflake, wrapped it up and put it in the bag, telling me "Your Seiko is in the bag".

Now, the TONE of his voice was like he is handing me something undesirable.. It was rather weird.. As though I was wearing something undesirable, (backup?? Perhaps) I guess he did not know the Grand Seiko brand so thought Seiko = Cheap throwaway watch? I wonder what he would have said if I was wearing my EXP II?

EDIT: Yah, now I can label the tone of the voice "Snobbery".. :)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have seen first hand a JLC Reverso get pulled from a case bare handed and blasted against the lip of the case. I would pull pieces with a cloth on my hand, and polished before showing. It shows respect for both the piece and the buyer. Take that as will. But I would rather a salesperson show respect to the piece and end user than just ripping it out of the case to get your cc#

Edit. After re reading your OP. You are an ass.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
General ignorance about the product they are attempting to sell. And still worse, complete confidence in the factuality of complete nonsense.
When trying on a JLC at an AD the salesman actually said "Look, you probably know more about this watch than I do." and he was right. I appreciated his honesty, but strangely it diminished the experience. I walked out empty handed, and not because I didn't like the watch.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Nothing better than window shopping at an AD and having the clerk check back on you every 5 minutes to see if you have found a watch that you want to purchase.

Reactions: clarken
1 - 20 of 49 Posts