WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am very new to watch collecting and would really appreciate your guys help!

Ever since I was a little kid I collected watches (mostly cheap rubber and plastic / Fossil watches).

However, I am now 23 and working full time and want to "step up my game".

Currently, I have:

+ Bulova 98E102 Marine Star Diamond Case Bracelet Mother of Pearl Dial Watch Two Tone Stainless Steel (Black / Rose Gold, Pearl Face)
+ Seiko SWW210 Two Tone Stainless Steel (Silver / Gold, Black Face) [an older watch]
+
Nixon 51-30 Tide Stainless Steel (All Gold)

I am very happy with these watches as they are within a comfortable price range for me (I would never spend over $700 for a watch). (I was able to get the Bulova and Nixon which retail for over $500 on Amazon for around $300 each).

Anyway, my question is what are the best sub $1000 watches, and what watches should i definitely stay away from?
I've seen alot of Invictas out there and they look nice but have read some pretty bad stuff about them and everyone has told me to stay away from Invicta.

Also, what are your favorite sub $1000 watches and where do you find the best deals?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Welcome!!! For sub $1000, I like Hamilton or vintage Omega. For new pieces look to grey market sites, like jomashop, authenticwatches, watchmaxx, alanfurman, etc.

Reactions: xology

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I am very happy with these watches as they are within a comfortable price range for me (I would never spend over $700 for a watch).
You're on the record! Remember you wrote these words 6 months to a year from now! Let's just say, I have my doubts...

Stowa is probably the best value under $1000 out there. Hamilton is a great place to look as well.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I think there are a lot of choices for under 1000$ depending on your taste. I like divers and tend to go that direction like Benarus Megalodon, Balihai GMT, Helson Shark Diver, but having said that since stumbling onto watch forums like this one and looking around a bit it really opens your eyes to what you can find.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Intra-matic 38mm or max bill , sinn 556 if you are lucky or damasko for an everyday beast/beater, Christopher ward trident for diver (longines hydroconquest works too but its a bit more dressy than a tool watch).
On a more affordable side - max bill quartz for dress watch or a quartz frederique constant slimline, for gada - seiko sarx045 (sarx015 for a dressier option) or khaki king for a more fieldish look, diver - any microbrand under 500 will be outstanding to be frank... Zelos, nodus... There are hundreds of the buggers.
The best heavy duty beater is a g-shock. Period.
The most cheap and cheerful watch has to be a digital casio - pick one. I like the a700 series.

People will say Stowa, but they are getting stupid price wise and here in the EU it ridiculous...

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
When I was your age I bought a pre-owned Tag for $900 and wore it for 8 years. Took a decade or so hiatus and then got back in. My advice would be to look for watches secondhand so that you're not taking the depreciation hit (if you want variety). If you can live with one watch, I'd pool funds and buy a piece in the $3-4k range and see if you can enjoy it as a GADA watch for 8+ years!

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
When I was your age I bought a pre-owned Tag for $900 and wore it for 8 years. Took a decade or so hiatus and then got back in. My advice would be to look for watches secondhand so that you're not taking the depreciation hit (if you want variety). If you can live with one watch, I'd pool funds and buy a piece in the $3-4k range and see if you can enjoy it as a GADA watch for 8+ years!
The OP hasn’t posted here since 2013.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think we're going to see this more and more often after the upgrade - the "recommended reading" threads that appear below each thread often seem to be from a few years ago, and people post without realizing the date...

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
:facepalm

I know I’ve read more ‘old threads’ since the switch following the suggestions. Hope the OP is enjoying his collection someplace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts