WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a watch enthusiast ever since I was a little kid, I dont know why. Anyways, as I just turned 30, I wanted to treat myself to an entry level/mid-tier swiss brand. Thinking Baume and Mercier. My price range is less than $2000.

My dilemma is, I want an automatic, because I can appreciate the work that goes into making one. But does it make sense to spend whatever it costs for maintenance ($300-$500), for a watch that costs less than $2000? I can see doing it for a high end, expensive watch. What do you think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The person at the store, which is a B&M authorized dealer, said it costs between $300-$500 around every 5 years. Assuming I bought a $2,000 B&M, thats 20% of the cost of the watch.

Does a $40,000 Patek cost $8,000 for maintenance? The $500 maintenance cost there, makes more sense.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The person at the store, which is a B&M authorized dealer, said it costs between $300-$500 around every 5 years. Assuming I bought a $2,000 B&M, thats 20% of the cost of the watch.

Does a $40,000 Patek cost $8,000 for maintenance? The $500 maintenance cost there, makes more sense.
Watch service prices are going to be different for different watches. The buy in price is not always reflective of how much a service will cost. For example: a very expensive three hand watch might cost significantly less to service than a much less expensive chronograph movement.

In general you should expect to have to service a watch that you wear daily about once every three years, so you're right to consider that as part of the long term cost. That said, a $300 Hamilton can cost the same amount to service as a $4,000 Omega.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Watch service prices are going to be different for different watches. The buy in price is not always reflective of how much a service will cost. For example: a very expensive three hand watch might cost significantly less to service than a much less expensive chronograph movement.

In general you should expect to have to service a watch that you wear daily about once every three years, so you're right to consider that as part of the long term cost. That said, a $300 Hamilton can cost the same amount to service as a $4,000 Omega.
Great info, thank you. I don't think I am ready to spend that to maintain $2,000 watch.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
The cost of maintenance is often the elephant in the room when it comes to buying and collecting mechanical watches.
That said, you may well be able to extend your service interval to 5 years or longer if you are lucky. Lots of owners don't take a watch for service until it needs it (running significantly slower or faster is a common symptom that it needs service.) Also you'll be out of warranty by then so you'll likely be able to find a local watchmaker who will service the watch for considerably less than $400 if we are talking a cleaning and lubrication on a time only watch. Chronographs are another story entirely.
The less you pay for a watch, the more likely you'll be to wait till something goes wrong. I'd be happy to take a $5000 watch in every 3-4 years for preventative maintenance (if I had one that is.)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Great info, thank you. I don't think I am ready to spend that to maintain $2,000 watch.
Well, consider this: if, as Ray points out, you can extend the service interval to five years (pretty easy, especially if you have more than one watch) you should be able to come up with the $2-400 dollars needed to service it between now and when it has to be serviced. When talking about fine time pieces the service cost is actually pretty reasonable for what you get in return.

Here's another way to think about it: You could buy a sub $500 watch like a nice Hamilton or Seiko and wear it until it breaks, then buy a new one. Many people wear a watch like that for ten years or more without any problems whatsoever. You save the buy in cost, but you lose the "keep it for a lifetime" factor.

As with most things in life, there are trade offs. If you want to own a fine time piece you need to figure in maintenance costs. If you don't want to pay for maintenance you're going to have to compromise by buying a string of lower cost watches and running them to death.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Or, you could take the next three years learning how to service mechanical watches, and when the time comes you can do it yourself :D

j/k

·
Registered
41,767 Posts
At the current rate that 300 to 500 will buy a bag of groceries in 5 years.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I wouldn't worry about how much it costs to service a watch, the chances of you still owning it long enough to have it serviced or even care too when the time comes is slim.

I bet you would have moved on to other watches by then or it's lost in hot tub somewhere or best case, stolen by some supper hot chick (don't laugh, it happens more than you think).

Until then just Enjoy brother.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I had an ETA based 25 jewel auto I got in 1976 for approx $100. I wore it for a few years then just stuck it away in a drawer and wore other stuff. Around 2003 I took it out and got my watchmaker friend in Toronto to clean it and lube it for $80 or so. It didn't need any parts. Gave it to my son-in-law and as far as I know it's still working. Total investment over 35 years - $180.
Now I wouldn't advise this approach with a $2000 watch but certainly the odds are good with a cheap $200 watch that you can just wear it for many years and if it breaks throw it away. I have a Russian auto that I intend to do that very thing someday. I mean that's how lots of folks treated their watches back in the pin lever mechanical days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn't worry about how much it costs to service a watch, the chances of you still owning it long enough to have it serviced or even care too when the time comes is slim.

I bet you would have moved on to other watches by then or it's lost in hot tub somewhere or best case, stolen by some supper hot chick (don't laugh, it happens more than you think).

Until then just Enjoy brother.
I still cringe when I think of that .... star who sole Charlie Sheen's $150,000 Patek. I hope she was worth it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts